Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
While RA has apparently confirmed the possibility of an extra hit, they are not guarantying it. However, I saw almost a case broken and every box contained 5 autograph cards. It wasn't a sealed case, and the boxes came in two shipments, so make of it what you will.

As far as I know, RA has never done 5 autos in a box. So that's the good news, if you get it. Bad news is that many of them are trading pretty low so far and are likely to go lower. There seems to be a real lack of any autos in that solid medium range of $60 - $120, at least in the early stages.

One Piper inscription was pulled as best card out of the lot and the only good card I saw really.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I opened one case - 5 autos in all the boxes. Got a Billie Piper inscription(which really aren’t that common) and a Billie Piper bordered(scarce). Kept one case sealed to sell as boxes at Philly. Very pleasantly surprised with the 5th auto. No complaints here. I’m not a fan of Dr. Who, but my wife is. She’s not as intense of a card collector as I am, but she loves the set, so I imagine other Dr. Who fans do too. She bought a few lower end autograph cards from the business with this set, so, make of it what you will.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:
I'll pay anything for a Karen Gillan auto in her police officer kissogram outfit.

quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
On their message board, RA has mentioned Matt Smith will be signing cards for future sets.

They have now mentioned they have the main stars of series 5-7 to sign cards - Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill and Alex Kingston.

Posts: 1116 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I really don't who Darvill is by name, but the other 3 are very welcome as signers. I thought RA did a good job with this title, but there are just so many signers that I don't know from over here and most of the autograph cards in Series 1 - 4 had little to no demand.

Recently I saw boxes of 1 - 4 offered at roughly 50% of the original price, which indicates to me that someone has too many left over.

Posts: 10398 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I really don't who Darvill is by name, but the other 3 are very welcome as signers. I thought RA did a good job with this title, but there are just so many signers that I don't know from over here and most of the autograph cards in Series 1 - 4 had little to no demand.

Recently I saw boxes of 1 - 4 offered at roughly 50% of the original price, which indicates to me that someone has too many left over.
Arthur Darvill played Rory, i.e. Amy's boyfriend/husband and River Song's father. So quite an important character Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
Arthur Darvill played Rory, i.e. Amy's boyfriend/husband and River Song's father. So quite an important character Smile

Important character? That would require watching the show to know. I just want autograph cards. Big Grin

Seriously I was amazed when RA picked up Who because I don't think Topps did very well with their Who sets in the US. But that's not a reflection on the card quality, just that the franchise is not nearly that well followed here. All the actors on these Who autograph checklists that I know, I know from their other work.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

He was also Rip Hunter in DCs Legends of Tomorrow.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have now mentioned they have the main stars of series 5-7 to sign cards - Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill and Alex Kingston.

Rittenhouse have posted images of the above on their website.

Posts: 1116 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like another Andrew Garfield will float through the release.

Gonna say it is a safe bet they got Matt for House of the Dragon.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA has added Series 1 -4 Expansions to the Series 5 -7 product, so the autograph checklist has expanded to include Doctors 8 thru 11 and other assorted characters in the series. I was surprised by this because expansion cards are generally a separate release, but I think it's an acknowledgement that there hasn't been enough value in the box to warrant these retail prices. I think many card collectors have wisely stopped wasting money on blind buys.

I just hope they don't get cute and put them all into the incentive box or have everything Scarce. The big hits need to be in the boxes if you expect to sell sealed boxes to card collectors.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Prices keep rising - even the binder $10 more than Picard. And NINE Chase sets!!!!!!!!

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that you spend $160 and do not have a complete set of anything when you've finished.

Bargain.

Posts: 29000 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Prices keep rising - even the binder $10 more than Picard. And NINE Chase sets!!!!!!!!

There are lots of chase sets, but if you get the right nine boxes you should get most of them, which is an improvement over most of RA recent releases.

I cannot argue this is a cheap product, or even if it is good value, but this is the direction Rittenhouse and others have decided to go.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

I cannot argue this is a cheap product, or even if it is good value, but this is the direction Rittenhouse and others have decided to go.

Yep, but they have reached their destination. Expensive boxes, averaging out to contain a fraction of the value compared to cost, and almost no collector satisfaction because there are too many holes, some never even in the box.

Really the only good value card products in the last several years have come from independent makers and Kickstarter projects. However those are generally very niche titles of specific interest that don't include big draw hits.

The mainstream licensed entertainment products still made by the likes of RA, UD, Topps/Fanatics, Panini and Leaf can only be approached in pieces by formerly dedicated title collectors. I think a premium box is now much more likely to be opened by a seller/flipper than someone who wants to keep the cards or complete something of the set.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There are lots of chase sets, but if you get the right nine boxes you should get most of them, which is an improvement over most of RA recent releases.

IF you got the right 9 boxes!!! You'd have to have a Grand and be VERY Lucky

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or you can open multiple cases and not finish one or more of the insert sets.

I've opened three cases of Women of Star Trek: Art and Images and still don't have a complete set of 2010 Women of Star Trek Base Expansion Cards. Cards fall 1:24 packs. True, it's an 18-card set compared to 9-card sets for Doctor Who Series 5-7 but it's completely soured me on opening any other Rittenhouse product. You'll have to be supremely lucky to get all six of the 1:24 packs 9-card Doctor Who chase sets out of one case.

Posts: 64 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post