Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
BBC Studios have issued a press release.

[i]Rittenhouse (Available Early 2022)

In a global deal, Rittenhouse Archives plans to release its Doctor Who: Series 11 and 12 Trading Cards

I'm just impressed they managed to get a Global deal out of the BBC..........or any deal for that matter. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I'm just impressed they managed to get a Global deal out of the BBC..........or any deal for that matter. Big Grin

Perhaps they finalized the deal after they realized that Brit Box wasn't really earning all those $699 monthly payments and they need money. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:

The show is now being made by 'BBC studios', which is meant to be a one-stop-shop, so perhaps it is a lot easier to deal with than a few years ago.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Looks like Jodie Whittaker will be around until at least Autumn 2022. She and the show runner will leave after a series of 3 specials. I wonder if this schedule was in any way dictated by the continuing ups and downs of COVID effected productions.

And of course it will effect how RA goes about making cards for these specials in future sets.

The whole BBC article is linked by Kennywood in the General Entertainment section.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paul hart
posted Hide Post
Just hope Steve has better luck with them than Allan Caplan ,who i think found them hard work

Posts: 353 | Location: uk | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
Oh, the stories Allan could tell....

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
Oh, the stories Allan could tell....

. . . if you could find him. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Initial page is up on Rittenhouse's site (although it's just a teaser, there's no information yet)...

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...ctorwho/series11-12/

It looks like details are coming very soon.
https://www.scifihobby.com/bbo...adid=2585&messages=3

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thats good, i was sure this set would never get made.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested how this set shapes up. Of course, it will be absolutely certain some autograph cards will be super limited and super silly prices, but being on-card I'm hoping to upgrade some of other actors/guest star autographs in my collection, as I'll never totally love sticker autographs. Smile It will be interesting if they get any sort of costume cards. I'm doubting it, but who knows?!

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I'll be interested how this set shapes up. Of course, it will be absolutely certain some autograph cards will be super limited and super silly prices, but being on-card I'm hoping to upgrade some of other actors/guest star autographs in my collection, as I'll never totally love sticker autographs.

The previous Doctor Who sets really covered a lot of signers, on stickers of course, including prior Doctors and some better known actors. So here's a couple of questions for WHO card collectors:

Besides having the first autographs of the current Doctor, what other new signers will probably fall into the silly prices catagory?

Because previous autograph cards were stickers on both numbered and unnumbered limited and more common cards and were pretty comprehensive in scope, do you think on-card RA signatures from repeat signers are going to automatically go for a premium over the TOPPS cards from the same people?

If so, for all signers, or just the main ones? And how much more might you think buyers would be willing to pay for on-cards instead of stickers as a premium?

Again if so, do you think that the RA cards with a premium price might encourage collectors to buy the older TOPPS cards as a cheaper alternative?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
...And how much more might you think buyers would be willing to pay for on-cards instead of stickers as a premium?

From the little information they have already put out, it seems the autograph cards will be all-new signers.

Broadly answering your question though, the sticker autograph cards seem to be priced higher than the on card Strictly Ink autographs, which I guess is just down to supply and demand for collectors concentrating on the Topps sets.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Let's say i had an autograph card which was a sticker autograph and it's market rate was $50 because it was the only time the person had signed.

If Rittenhouse then put out an on card autograph from that person i would expect that to become the new $50 card and the price of the sticker one to go down.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hadn't looked at the website, for some reason i thought RA was going to include past WHO series too.

I always thought the appeal of on-card signatures over sticker autographs was weighed heavily on the side of on-card for most collectors, although a badly designed card is bad all over. It just must be that the Strictly Ink cards don't get the exposure of the TOPPS cards.

Not having seen one episode of 11 or 12, besides the Doctor and her companions (who I don't know by name either), were there any good guest stars that I would recognize from here and might make for higher card prices?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's say i had an autograph card which was a sticker autograph and it's market rate was $50 because it was the only time the person had signed.

If Rittenhouse then put out an on card autograph from that person i would expect that to become the new $50 card and the price of the sticker one to go down.

Because the autograph is more important to me, I would agree with your logic from the standpoint of, this is how much the signature should be worth.

However some collectors are more hung up on the card and the card production or numbering, if any, or the price of the product to buy boxes/cases. So those older on-card autograph cards often can/do get surpassed by newer ones, even for stickers or on common signers, which I really think shouldn't happen.

On card always beats stickers. The same common signer should be a common all over. That's in a perfect world. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Not having seen one episode of 11 or 12, besides the Doctor and her companions (who I don't know by name either), were there any good guest stars that I would recognize from here and might make for higher card prices?

Well, more Brits will recognize the guest actors than anyone that doesn't watch British shows, but that's kind of obvious. But there are a few that probably would be known by most people, like Alun Cumming, Mark Addy, Art Malik, Chris Noth, Ian McElhinney, Ian Gelder, Goran Visnjic, Laura Fraser, Stephen Fry, Lenny Henry etc.

Whereas, being a Brit there are some guest actors from those seasons I'd love cards of; Julie Graham, Susan Lynch, Siobhan Finneran, Shaun Dooley, Julie Hesmondhalgh, Matthew McNulty. There were so many guest actors from shows like Broadchurch, Happy Valley, Downton Abbey and some other UK specific shows.
Also interesting to me, as a history nerd, are cards of actors playing characters from history even if the actor isn't well known: Ada Lovelace, Noor Inayat Khan, Thomas Edison etc and then you get the double of interesting character AND actor, like Goran Visnjic who played Nikola Tesla.
We don't yet know signers or designs, but there's plenty of scope and potential for at least a few interesting cards outside the 'stupid money' high-end Doctor and companion cards, for me at least. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
...We don't yet know signers or designs... Big Grin

There are pictures of Mandip Gill and Alan Cummings Inscription Cards in this months Doctor Who Magazine.

posted Hide Post
That's good news. I can't remember if Alan signed for Bond? If so, I never got his card for that, will definitely watch for this one. Although, King James I is definitely not one of my favourite characters in history("The wisest fool in Christendom" particularly apt), but that episode with tangling in the Witches of Pendle was interesting.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't remember if Alan signed for Bond?

From my own records:

Alan Cumming 2003 Topps X-Men United: X2 Movie Cards unnum Nightcrawler; 1 set auto per 30 hobby packs
    Alan Cumming 2006 Rittenhouse James Bond: Dangerous Liaisons unnum as Boris Grishenko "GoldenEye"; 200-300 signed; 1 set auto per 20 packs
    Alan Cumming 2007 Rittenhouse The Complete James Bond 007 A68 as Boris Grishenko (200-300 signed); GoldenEye; 1 set auto per 40 packs

And from checking TCDB.COM, he also has signed cards in 2019 Upper Deck James Bond Collection, and 2021 Upper Deck James Bond Villians & Henchmen.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

From my own records:

Alan Cumming 2003 Topps X-Men United: X2 Movie Cards unnum Nightcrawler; 1 set auto per 30 hobby packs
    Alan Cumming 2006 Rittenhouse James Bond: Dangerous Liaisons unnum as Boris Grishenko "GoldenEye"; 200-300 signed; 1 set auto per 20 packs
    Alan Cumming 2007 Rittenhouse The Complete James Bond 007 A68 as Boris Grishenko (200-300 signed); GoldenEye; 1 set auto per 40 packs

And from checking TCDB.COM, he also has signed cards in 2019 Upper Deck James Bond Collection, and 2021 Upper Deck James Bond Villians & Henchmen.

Thumb Up I forgot he was in X-Men.