Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good luck to Rittenhouse but I'm out (unless they pick up on classic) the only positive thing I can say about ''woke'' Dr who is, a Bradley Walsh auto would be neat.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
I loved Jodie Whitaker. I hated hated hated the storylines. Too preachy IMHO. So I did stop watching Frown . Maybe I'll pick back up next season. Don't know. It's a shame that the first female Dr had to have the disadvantage of terrible writing/directing. Too many things stacked up against her in the first place (lots of misogynistic jerks out there Twak ).

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
I am very excited to see what Rittenhouse has in store for Dr Who though. Very excited!!

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've never followed the series, apart from catching an occasional episode, or half an episode. Even pre-COVID, when I talked to more people at my LHS, I really never found anyone who was big on Doctor Who. So I was surprised when TOPPS went into the license so big, because the American market just didn't seem to warrant it to me. I'm not sure how TOPPS thinks it made out, but it has let the license go and I know for a fact that the Signature Series was seriously discounted in I suppose 2019, when I picked up packs at less than half the SRP.

Anyway many actors I know about have passed through the series and I'm happy to get another chance at their autographs, especially in RA on-card designs. I don't have that many of the TOPPS stickers, so I'm good as far as duplication goes, but I think RA has to cater to the UK collectors for this title or keep it so limited that it will sell out regardless.

RA has to do the new Doctor first, to try to attract old collectors already invested and get off to a decent start for them.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

RA has to do the new Doctor first, to try to attract old collectors already invested and get off to a decent start for them.

This is something i was thinking aswell. Dr Who has been done to death by many companies over the years. I'm not sure where Rittenhouse would find new images to use for the older series so they have to start with the new stuff and work backwards only if it is selling well.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
I loved Jodie Whitaker. I hated hated hated the storylines. Too preachy IMHO. So I did stop watching Frown . Maybe I'll pick back up next season. Don't know. It's a shame that the first female Dr had to have the disadvantage of terrible writing/directing. Too many things stacked up against her in the first place (lots of misogynistic jerks out there Twak ).

The first thing she did was jumped on the white man (fan base) hate wagon when she opened her mouth, before that I was ready for the new doctor as long as it wasn't going to be agenda, but it's BBC so of course it was going to be, the trailers with the glass ceiling and the bus stop posters with the slogan ''it's about time'', your comment by the way, makes you a jerk.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
quote:

The first thing she did was jumped on the white man (fan base) hate wagon when she opened her mouth, before that I was ready for the new doctor as long as it wasn't going to be agenda, but it's BBC so of course it was going to be, the trailers with the glass ceiling and the bus stop posters with the slogan ''it's about time'', your comment by the way, makes you a jerk.

Not sure what the "white man fan base hate wagon" means and all that. And I don't appreciate your commenting that I'm a jerk. That's really rude. I was talking about the misogynistic jerks that actually said "Just because the Dr is now a woman I'm not watching" like a whiney child. I think that qualifies as a jerk, but whatever you keep doing you.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
quote:

Not sure what the "white man fan base hate wagon" means and all that. And I don't appreciate your commenting that I'm a jerk. That's really rude. I was talking about the misogynistic jerks that actually said "Just because the Dr is now a woman I'm not watching" like a whiney child. I think that qualifies as a jerk, but whatever you keep doing you.

Sorry, I have no filter, and these ''misogynistic jerks'' were mostly created by those who don't listen or those who never watched Dr who until it became woman, she is by the way awful, she's way more over the top than Tennant was and that's saying something.

posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse picking up Doctor Who is both good news and bad news for me.
Doctor Who is one of the few trading cards I collect, and being a completest, I'm glad Topps is
no longer going to be putting out sets. The main reason is the way they handle Autographs.
The last several set they started limiting some actor/actresses to 1/1 autograph, because of this
at nearly impossible to complete my sets.
I'm not familiar with the way Rittenhouse handles their autographs, but it can't be as bad as Topps

So....sittin9duck, if you ever want to sell your John Simm 1/1 gold card, I'm here Smile

Posts: 64 | Location: Norton Ohio 44203 | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The only Doctor Who I've ever seen is "New Who", so I'm hoping Rittenhouse thoroughly covers that era like they do with Trek, Bond, Twilight Zone, GOT, etc. The big advantage of Rittenhouse over Topps for me, besides on-card autographs, is how thorough they usually are when getting signers. Topps seems to get actors to sign a few hundred stickers all at once, and then spread them across dozens of sets over a few years, while hardly adding anything new. They did it with Who and they do with Star Wars. Once in a while they'll add a new big name, but mostly it's the same old, same old. Rittenhouse at least seems to try more to add new signers with each set, or at least add inscriptions or duals to spice it up if they don't have any significant new signers. Now certain Rittenhouse autograph lineups for sets are a little stale also, but I just feel like they try harder. That's just my perception of it at least.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daleks:
The main reason is the way they handle Autographs. The last several set they started limiting some actor/actresses to 1/1 autograph, because of this at nearly impossible to complete my sets.

I'm not familiar with the way Rittenhouse handles their autographs, but it can't be as bad as Topps.

Well that is the beauty of signature stickers to TOPPS and card makers in general. They have a signer do 200 or more stickers at once and dole them out on cards as 1/1s, 1/5s, 1/10s, 1/25s, etc, just by printing different numbers and maybe changing a color. Otherwise the cards can be made exactly the same with or without numbers. It's collectors who are willing to keep paying premiums for this lowest form of artificial rarity that keeps it going and makes it so profitable with little extra production expense.

The stickers also provide easy and unlimited combinations of 2, 3, and 4 signers on the same card, even though none of them ever came together to touch it.

RA does get multiple designs signed at the same time and releases them at intervals as the sets come out. That's why this Doctor Who is already probably looked at as the first in 5 or 6 sets at least. On-card signatures would have to take more planning and of course, those dual autograph cards really do have to be passed around. I think sometimes people are a little harder on RA, myself included, because they have set a higher standard on their autograph cards than any card manufacturer still in business.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

.... Dr Who has been done to death by many companies over the years. I'm not sure where Rittenhouse would find new images to use for the older series so they have to start with the new stuff and work backwards only if it is selling well.

It is autograph cards which drive the ranges nowadays rather than smart design and great photography. Perhaps they will do these like the Buffy sets they did a while back.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

.... Dr Who has been done to death by many companies over the years. I'm not sure where Rittenhouse would find new images to use for the older series so they have to start with the new stuff and work backwards only if it is selling well.

It is autograph cards which drive the ranges nowadays rather than smart design and great photography. Perhaps they will do these like the Buffy sets they did a while back.

While anything is possible and autographs do make the product, I don't think this will be Buffy sized sets. The post from Steve Charendoff says "just signed long-term, worldwide deal with the BBC to make the official Doctor Who trading cards".

That doesn't sound like nine portrait cards and an autograph for $400.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Initial page is up on Rittenhouse's site (although it's just a teaser, there's no information yet)...

https://www.scifihobby.com/pro...ctorwho/series11-12/

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see that RI have picked up the franchise as I have been a fan since a child in the '70s.

I won't be touching the first release however as it focuses on the whole woke agenda phase of the show that has sadly happened to all BBC's flagship programmes.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Long running British TV shows have a habit of discarding cast members, whether by design or just because actors want to leave. With Doctor Who its by design because that is the nature of the character.

I have watched all of New Tricks and all of Death in Paradise and seen almost all of the original characters gone by the end. Naturally this effects the show because, as a viewer, I liked some of these combinations of actors/characters better than others. I still found myself watching though, if for no other reason than I started it and needed to see it through. Big Grin

If I were a dedicated Doctor Who card collector, which I am not, I think I would have to have some Series 11/12 cards even if I was just waiting for a new Doctor to come along. Wink

And I do agree, agenda driven themes of all stripes make for lousy entertainment and wind up insulting just as many or more people than they are trying to support.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Olly Alexander is reported to be the next Doctor Who, although Jodie Whittaker has not officially departed. Can't say as I ever heard of him, but my location no doubt.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Olly Alexander is reported to be the next Doctor Who, although Jodie Whittaker has not officially departed. Can't say as I ever heard of him, but my location no doubt.

He's an actor and the singer in the group Years & Years. For all I know, he may be Years & Years.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Olly Alexander recently starred in Channel 4's drama "It's a Sin". And going by everything known, then he would be the first openly gay Doctor Who, which kind of goes with the BBC's PC/woke agenda on every thing they do these days. "It's a Sin" was powerful viewing, but Olly does look more like a gawky teenager than an all-knowing Doctor.

Mind you, I don't always go for rumour, before Jodie was finally announced, several betting firms had Phoebe Waller-Bridge or that dopey bloke Kris Marshall from Death in Paradise as the new Doctor. We'll know when we know.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
BBC Studios have issued a press release.

Rittenhouse (Available Early 2022)

In a global deal, Rittenhouse Archives plans to release its Doctor Who: Series 11 and 12 Trading Cards, featuring autograph cards signed by Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor), Mandip Gill (Yaz), Tosin Cole (Ryan), Sacha Dhawan (The Master), Patrick O’Kane (The Lone Cyberman), Chris Noth (Jack Robertson), Alan Cumming (King James), and dozens of other cast members. This premiere edition collection will also feature images and plot synopses from every episode of Series 11 and 12, and much more. More details will be available in the coming weeks and months from Rittenhouse at www.scifihobby.com.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post