Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
...Where's Kylie??

You should be so lucky! Big Grin

Also Carey Mulligan, Felicity Jones and Catherine Tate would have made great cards.

Rittenhouse have just posted that there will be a Catherine Tate Autograph card included in the next set.

They have also updated their checklist with a lot of images of the cards.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or are the photos used for the Eccleston autograph cards a bit...well...naff? Roll Eyes
And Andrew Garfield is certainly trying to compete for the most lazy signature. Why use letters when you can use lines...or streaks. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It hurts to shell out a good deal of money for big cards with crappy autographs. I usually can't bring myself to do it once I see a signature like Garfield's. It's too hard to believe that it's the best he can do.

The same could be said for many desirable signers and it's a shame to see the asking prices when FREE would be about right. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Especially these days, it's very hard to win me over with a nondescript squiggle, and especially to charge me hundreds for it. I'm more likely to say nah...pass. Big Grin Even if it's to satisfy an inner urge to complete some kind of collection/set, maybe something that I set for myself to complete even...I've gradually begun to cure myself of that particular OCD. Big Grin Usually, looking at all the things I could buy for the same money works a treat... Wink Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
That Andrew Garfield auto will go well with Tobey Maguire auto from Spiderman.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just went through whole autograph list matching names with imdb. I think this is why the title struggles so much over here. With exception, you are either a Dr Who fan or you have no clue who these people are.

So many other sets I can cross reference signatures out to other things I watch or like. Most of these cross out to British shows I have never heard of and Dr Who.

Oh well, will watch out for the handful that I am interested in and see if I can get em for a fair price.

I know the next group of 3 seasons will have a few that I would love to collect as well.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Just went through whole autograph list matching names with imdb. I think this is why the title struggles so much over here. With exception, you are either a Dr Who fan or you have no clue who these people are.

I am a Dr Who fan and I don't know who most of the cast are either. None peaked my interest to look them up either and of those that I knew of there are some I don't like anyway yet along want a signed card. Incidentally I had never heard of the new guy picked to be the new Dr Who yet alone see any of his stuff and months on the situation has not changed.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
A few of the Doctor Who auto's are on ebay already so I have taken a gamble and bought a Eccleston autograph card in the hope it ends up been a good early price. If he doesn't sign in any more sets his cards could dry up and end up been expensive. The Hurt auto's were going for about £20 when the packs were available but are now costing over £100.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, some have hit eBay before May 3rd. I must say that this collection really looks like it's straight out of the Star Wars canteen. Maybe it's just the early ones, but not only don't I know the names of almost all of these signers, I'm not going to know their faces either. I can't see their faces.

I have quite a few autograph cards from other Doctor Who sets, including the last 11 & 12, and it seemed like there were a lot more human beings, or at least human-like characters, on the cards. Is this something that was more common in Series 1 - 4? I mean were there fewer regular human characters, as compared to the alien characters, or whatever they are supposed to be?

I think you may be good picking up the early Doctors, if you really want them, but don't count on drying up. These guys can sign anything for a long time and the new one will always be the hot one. Wink

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beyond the Doctors and two companions in this set, I agree, it is a bit thin on the ground for names. And I have three of those four from previous sets, so it would have to be a really good price to get me to buy them again. Being on card is preferred to my sticker ones, but beggars can't be choosers and all that. Smile
I'm not that keen on Eccleston's cards and not for the daft prices they already have on them, but dealers have to get their money back somehow. Me thinks I'll be keeping my signed Eccleston autobiography book for a while yet. Smile

Of course a missing element/companion here, other than the brilliant Catherine Tate(supposedly in the next set), is the controversial Noel Clarke...I don't think anyone is brave enough to rattle that cage. Wink

Thinking back to 1-4, which I haven't rewatched for a while, I think there were several human characters beyond the companions and their immediate families, but a lot of main 'big bad' of episodes were aliens/creatures.

To be fair, most people outside the US haven't a clue who most of the actors are in US show sets. IMDB is a friend, but that doesn't always help with newbie-1st-job actors no matter what their nationality or show.
I suppose we didn't have a clue who a lot of the Game of Thrones cast were until we did know them. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This morning I received an email advising me that the album and base set I pre-ordered was being mailed this morning so Rittenhouse must of issued them to non overseas dealers quite early for them to have cleared customs and be sorted by the dealer.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:

Of course a missing element/companion here, other than the brilliant Catherine Tate(supposedly in the next set), is the controversial Noel Clarke...I don't think anyone is brave enough to rattle that cage. Wink

Or John Barrowman, who does not have an allies card or even feature on a base card!

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The breaks I've seen on this are fantastic.

As an autograph collector I'd be buying the heck out of these if it were available locally or in an ePack format -- and I've never seen Dr. Who.

Also the autograph designs look great.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or John Barrowman, who does not have an allies card or even feature on a base card!

How the heck did I forget John Barrowman?! Eek Yeah, another that's sort of been edited out of the narrative.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

How the heck did I forget John Barrowman?! Eek Yeah, another that's sort of been edited out of the narrative.

I went out and got a Doctor Who Barrowman autograph card from 2017 Topps because I like him as an actor. I'm not over in the UK, but from what I heard here, it seemed like he was just being who he always was with no great harm to anyone. Am I right?

People should reap what they sow, but the problem with "cancel culture" is that its applied unevenly. Certain people get to be made examples, while much bigger fish still swim freely. That is just my own observation.

Got to admit I have no idea who Noel Clarke is, or what he may have done. I'll have to Google him.

posted Hide Post
Noel Clarke played Mickey, who was Rose Tyler's(Billie Piper's) boyfriend on Doctor Who from the reboot in 2005, for about 4 or 5 years iirc.
BAFTA were about to award him an Outstanding Contribution award and had to quickly pull it, the night before when some allegations surfaced. As far as film and TV goes, Noel was involved in a lot of TV, Theatre and comics, and did a lot of work with disadvantaged kids getting into the arts. The accusations were of sexual harassment and bullying etc. Whether true or not, his career kind of caved in overnight.

As to John Barrowmen, the least of it was supposedly 'exposing' himself a bit too much on set, than was comfortable and which some people felt was sexual harassment. We weren't there so we don't know, nor if he was doing it to just a few people all the time. I'm not sure I'd find that sexual harassment exactly so much as being childishly annoying. A good kick in the appropriate area probably would have solved it. Wink Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's all a bit sad. Captain Jack seems to have been erased from all current merchandise like this set, despite the BBC employing John Barrowman on a huge range of shows over many years (and fully aware of the situation).

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good kick in the appropriate area probably would have solved it. Wink Big Grin

Thanks, that would have been my solution too. Wink

Each case is different, and I have no sympathy for anyone who engaged in criminal behavior, no matter when it was. However, society has changed drastically only in the last ten years. Some people are now really offended at things that didn't offend them at the time they occurred. As for creating a toxic work environment, well that just used to be the lousy job we all had at least once. Big Grin

Upon googling, I do know Noel Clarke from a nice little failed series called "Chasing Shadows". Alex Kingston was also in it. I liked it a lot, but it was never picked up from the first series and it ended on a cliffhanger. Frown

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Noel Clarke played Mickey, who was Rose Tyler's(Billie Piper's) boyfriend on Doctor Who from the reboot in 2005, for about 4 or 5 years iirc.
BAFTA were about to award him an Outstanding Contribution award and had to quickly pull it, the night before when some allegations surfaced. As far as film and TV goes, Noel was involved in a lot of TV, Theatre and comics, and did a lot of work with disadvantaged kids getting into the arts. The accusations were of sexual harassment and bullying etc. Whether true or not, his career kind of caved in overnight.

As to John Barrowmen, the least of it was supposedly 'exposing' himself a bit too much on set, than was comfortable and which some people felt was sexual harassment. We weren't there so we don't know, nor if he was doing it to just a few people all the time. I'm not sure I'd find that sexual harassment exactly so much as being childishly annoying. A good kick in the appropriate area probably would have solved it. Wink Big Grin

I knew someone who worked in an office where some fella got his _____ out under the table to flash it at a female colleague (who he really got along well with) for a 'laugh'.
He was given instant dismissal for gross misconduct and rightly so.
Barrowman being in the entertainment industry, and being a bit of a 'full-on' personality, aren't acceptable mitigating factors IMO.

That said, cancel culture is getting beyond ridiculous. No-one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, most have regrets.
No doubt there are a tonne of celebs who have done as bad, or worse, that we'll never hear of. We're all just people after all.

Erasing Noel Clarke and John Barrowman from base and autograph cards won't remove them from the show, or fandom, and collectors miss out. Making those cards does not endorse (unproven) behaviour either.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bringing us back on track,

I received my album and base card set yesterday. Very impressive!

regards

John