Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see that Rittenhouse price a basic set at $29.99 and an album at the same price. What would that cost for shipping from Rittenhouse direct? Can any one tell me please?

Note that when buying RRParks cards on Kickstarter shipping for 400+ cards has never cost more than $30

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
UK prices I've been quoted are nowhere near that. Still expensive but not that much

I was quote £124 shipped for a box. I think that given some UK dealers didn't touch GOT series 2 as they got their fingers burned with series 1 as they didn't get a Clarke autograph, won't be to impressed with the numbers game on this release. I think most UK buyers will be buying on the international market for sealed product.

Posts: 29 | Location: scotland | Registered: May 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
With a 24 pack box we will again have 30 spare base cards with a 60 card base set. Surely these sets should be in a box with base set plus hits like Breygent did with the last Dexter set. Rittenhouse need to start putting a few more chase cards in as well at these prices

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse’s website hikes the prices of their products to sell so they don’t undercut their dealers. There are several dealers on the forum that won’t be selling the boxes at $199, but lower.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
Rittenhouse’s website hikes the prices of their products to sell so they don’t undercut their dealers. There are several dealers on the forum that won’t be selling the boxes at $199, but lower.

Yes, that's true. I don't believe I've EVER paid SRP on an RA box, but the discount was maybe $10 - $20 lower for good customers.

With GoT Iron 1 & 2, I believe the SRP was $169. They are available now for $125 and lower without any big relationships. At some point, when dealers get close to cost, there is an impact on future product orders.

Boxes cannot be priced as though they will have the exceptional content, when it's an average box with average content. I always expect to lose money on a box because you are betting on maybe pulling the big card. However, you can't lose so much money that you could have simply bought that big card yourself off eBay with the money you already paid.

That becomes the scenario that I and others have warned about for years without changing a thing. When it gets to the price point that no one wants to open the box and nothing sells.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received an email from a friendly dealer who has these priced at $156 a box.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I received an email from a friendly dealer who has these priced at $156 a box.

That's Friendly Dealer™, thank you!

And to add some content for discussion, from said email:
quote:
These cards are in both versions:

60 Card Base Set
16 Card New Year’s Specials set (1:24 Packs)
5 Card Heroes of Doctor Who set (1:48 Packs)
9 Card TARDIS set (1:48 Packs)
4 Card “Space for All” Metal Portraits set (1:288 Packs)

Exclusive to the Hobby Version:

60 Card Gold TARDIS Parallel set (each #.99)
60 Card Red TARDIS Parallel set (each #/50)
18 Cards in the “Allies and Adversaries” set (1:12 Packs)
7 Card “Asia/Realistic” Poster Card set (1:48 Packs)
4 Card The Universe is Calling set (1:144 Packs)
1 New Year’s Special 2021 Poster Card (1:288 Packs)
1 3D TARDIS Dectation Card (case topper)

Exclusive to the UK Version:

60 Card Teal TARDIS Parallel set (each #.99)
60 Card Orange TARDIS Parallel set (each #/50)
18 Cards in the “Allies and Adversaries” set (1:12 Packs)
7 Card “Asia/Painted” Poster Card set (1:48 Packs)
4 Card Graffiti Art Character set (1:144 Packs)
1 New Year’s Special 2019 Poster Card (1:288 Packs)
1 3D DALEK Dectation Card (case topper)

There will be exclusive autographs in each edition, but right now we just have an initial list for the whole set:

Alan Cumming as King James
Anjli Mohindra as Queen of the Skith
Bhav Parmar as Sonya Khan
Brett Goldstein as Astos
Jo Martin as The Fugitive Doctor
Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor
Mandip Gill as Yaz/Yasmin Khan
Mark Addy as Paltraki
Nicholas Briggs as Voice of Daleks
Patrick O’Kane as The Lone Cyberman
Paul Kasey as Judoon Captain
Robert Glenister as Thomas Edison
Sacha Dhawan as The Master
Samuel Oatley as T’Zim-Sha
Seylan Baxter as Tecteun
Sharon D. Clarke as Grace O’Brien
Sylvie Briggs as Ada Lovelace
Tosin Cole as Ryan Sinclair

There will be an official binder for the set, with an exclusive promo card inside.

5 Cards Per Pack / 24 Packs Per Box / 12 Boxes Per Case

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Yes, that’s what they’re most priced out throughout the dealers. You have to think about it from a Rittenhouse and dealer perspective. The Dr. Who license could not have been cheap, nor could Jodie Whitaker. Inflation…EVERYTHING is going up, even the cost of producing cards. Does it suck, yes, but That’s just the way it is. I really wish we dealers could all sell them at $85 a box, but it would be a massive, massive loss for us.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, that’s what they’re most priced out throughout the dealers. You have to think about it from a Rittenhouse and dealer perspective. The Dr. Who license could not have been cheap, nor could Jodie Whitaker. Inflation…EVERYTHING is going up, even the cost of producing cards. Does it suck, yes, but That’s just the way it is. I really wish we dealers could all sell them at $85 a box, but it would be a massive, massive loss for us.

As food for thought though, Jodie Whittaker recently was at London comic-con where she was doing an autograph photo for £75 (~$99) and Mandip Gill was £25. So fans could have got both stars autographs for less than what a single RA box would cost.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

As food for thought though, Jodie Whittaker recently was at London comic-con where she was doing an autograph photo for £75 (~$99) and Mandip Gill was £25. So fans could have got both stars autographs for less than what a single RA box would cost.

Well, that's another thing. For a personal appearance, the fee you pay isn't just for an autograph, but for getting to meet and hopefully exchange words with a person you want to see, or you wouldn't be there. The person is on the clock. You are having fun, paying for the entertainment of the event and walking away with an autograph.

The assumption that Whittaker's signing contract is causing a higher RA box cost is just that, an assumption. If her personal appearances don't break the bank, why would signing cards in her off hours do it? RA has star autographs in all products. Some names are very well known.

Now the BBC license could be the soaker, but that is also an assumption. The broader question is, why did RA think that Doctor Who was the title on which to up the ante?

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now the BBC license could be the soaker, but that is also an assumption. The broader question is, why did RA think that Doctor Who was the title on which to up the ante?

Yup!

Maybe I am missing something here but even from a card collecting perspective Dr Who seems to be a limited interest product.

I have no doubt they will be the nicest Dr Who cards ever produced and the first run will do well. Not really sure what long term looks like for this.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Typical, the first UK promo card i see on this product is from a USA dealer. Roll Eyes

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Maybe I am missing something here but even from a card collecting perspective Dr Who seems to be a limited interest product.

I have no doubt they will be the nicest Dr Who cards ever produced and the first run will do well. Not really sure what long term looks like for this.

The collectible market is so strange.

I would think that James Bond would be a pretty limited interest as well -- but it keeps going year after year.

The appeal for Dr. Who has to be the long history -- there ultimately is a lot of material to build sets around. I hope it turns in to great sales for RA -- although I'm still wishing for RA (or someone) to start making more Harry Potter cards.

I personally think the box price is fine. I'm happy to pay $156 for a product with 4 autographs per box -- but I've never seen Dr. Who.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would think that James Bond would be a pretty limited interest as well

Whaaaaaaaaaaa Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa Eek

Yeah..I see no comparison between Bond and Who in the collectible sense.

Looking at the autograph list it is all the most recent show with several one episode wonders. Is that the extent of the license or can RA go back in time?

I would have thought a Dr Who Complete going back to capture as much as possible the shows past would have been a better first move.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I personally think the box price is fine. I'm happy to pay $156 for a product with 4 autographs per box -- but I've never seen Dr. Who.

Even though you are probably going to pull four $10 autographs?...just my opinion of course.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Even though you are probably going to pull four $10 autographs?...just my opinion of course.

The product has to have enough in it to keep a buyer interested -- I have to have the chance to pull something I really want -- which may be a rare card, or it may just be that I like the source material enough I want the base and chase cards.

I've opened a lot of $75 boxes where most of the hits were a $10 autograph and a $10 relic.

I'd assume several of these autographs will bring more than $10. Whittaker's first autograph should sell well.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm curious why not?

To me Bond doesn't fit into the 'normal' type of shows that translate well into trading cards with longevity -- most of the long running trading card releases are sci-fi/fantasy related.

Also Dr. Who has a huge fan base. I personally see more Dr. Who collectibles / merchandise in my daily life that I see Bond stuff. I see Tardis shirts all the time.

I am also familiar with Dr. Who conventions -- not so much on the Bond side.

I may be wrong, this is just my personal experience. . .

There are people in my life who love Bond, and others who love Dr. Who. Oddly the Bond people are collectors who don't collect anything Bond related, and the Who people are not collectors who buy tons of Who merch.

Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaa Eek

Looking at the autograph list it is all the most recent show with several one episode wonders. Is that the extent of the license or can RA go back in time?

I would have thought a Dr Who Complete going back to capture as much as possible the shows past would have been a better first move.

The Whittaker series have not been done in other card sets so is a good starting set. I noticed Rittenhouse has Doctor Who Series 1-4 listed as an upcoming product for 2023 for those wanting past shows.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just had an e-mail from a UK dealer with prices . Noticed that according to the e-mail the UK cases are 10 boxes and the US cases 12 boxes . I suspect this is a mis-print and the number of boxes per case will be the same but does anyone know which number is correct ?

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post