Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/1677072696

May 24, 2021, 06:08 PM
Logan
Rittenhouse picks up DOCTOR WHO!!
It is being reported by BlowoutBuzz that Rittenhouse will be making the next Doctor Who trading card sets... and they have confirmed Jodie Whittaker as a signer! Clap Bouncey
May 24, 2021, 06:55 PM
Raven
I like it, on-card Who. Thumb Up
May 24, 2021, 08:37 PM
Logan
I'm already imagining on-card dual autographs of David Tennant/Billie Piper, David Tennant/Catherine Tate, and Matt Smith/Karen Gillan. Luv You The possibilities are almost endless. If Rittenhouse chooses to invest more in this than Topps did it will be a HUGE hit.
May 24, 2021, 09:35 PM
ifish73
This is awesome news. Hope they are able to make cards for the entire run and not just the new seasons.
May 25, 2021, 12:20 AM
catskilleagle
I was wondering if going for a Doctor Who license might be more of a risk now after so many companies have already taken a swing at it but it looks like there's still a hunger for more and we haven't even heard from anyone in the UK yet.
May 25, 2021, 01:48 AM
JOHN LEVITT
Will Rittenhouse get what Topps did and have a licence only for North American sales. They have had restricted licences before.

Also remember why having any licence from the BBC is fraught with problems due to having to deal with so much red tape with so many department heads having to have their input. I believe Topps only dealt with BBC America. In addition the BBC is under heavy pressure at the moment due to its News division way of working in the past so all and sundry are poking their noses in the way the BBC works.

Personally I would love to see another release but if it happens how much of it will be the same old images we have seen time and time again

regards

John

____________________
May 25, 2021, 08:39 AM
hammer
Exciting but probably Topps US as Topps UK is less than useless. Hopefully we will be able to buy it in the UK and not Via USA
May 25, 2021, 10:52 AM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Exciting but probably Topps US as Topps UK is less than useless. Hopefully we will be able to buy it in the UK and not Via USA
Rittenhouse has the new licence not Topps Smile Though that does still leave the option that Rittenhouse only has the US licence while Topps UK still have the one for the UK....only time and further press releases will tell Big Grin
May 25, 2021, 12:16 PM
Bob Johnson
I'll pay anything for a Karen Gillan auto in her police officer kissogram outfit.
May 25, 2021, 01:05 PM
Hedgehog Witch
I'll be most interested in any sets they do. On-card signatures are very enticing for a start. A lot of guest stars etc that don't have signed cards anywhere yet too, so it will be interesting to see what they do and who they get to sign.
May 26, 2021, 02:06 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Exciting but probably Topps US as Topps UK is less than useless. Hopefully we will be able to buy it in the UK and not Via USA
Rittenhouse has the new licence not Topps Smile Though that does still leave the option that Rittenhouse only has the US licence while Topps UK still have the one for the UK....only time and further press releases will tell Big Grin


Yes, I don't know what I was thinking, probably just how disappointed I was with Topps UK in general LOL. Rittenhouse , I'm sure will do a great job
May 26, 2021, 02:10 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
I'll be most interested in any sets they do. On-card signatures are very enticing for a start. A lot of guest stars etc that don't have signed cards anywhere yet too, so it will be interesting to see what they do and who they get to sign.


Agreed
May 27, 2021, 05:11 PM
X
Will be interesting to see if RA manage to release a mix of classic and new Who.

They'll do a good job of the autos no doubt. Topps most recent efforts looked good but hard-signed is always better. I hope they manage to get Tom Baker while they can.

I'm trying to get most of the Doctors to sign the Topps Signature Series base cards at conventions but will be interested RA full bleed style autos of Paul McGann and Peter Capaldi in particular.
May 27, 2021, 10:23 PM
webjon
This is huge news for RA -- I am glad to see they are grabbing a new license and I hope the cards are awesome. I'll be watching for a few autographs.
May 28, 2021, 07:39 AM
STCardGeek
From RA's website:

***
Yes, we have just signed a long-term, worldwide deal with the BBC to make the official Doctor Who trading cards. Very exciting, as this is one of the true great science fiction franchises in history. Jodie Whittaker is on board to sign cards, and the first series of cards will likely focus on the most recent episodes in which she has starred as the 13th Doctor. More news to come as we get further along, but our plans surely include other card sets that will eventually cover the entire history of the franchise dating back to the very beginning. Very exciting!!!

***

____________________
Star Trek cards rule, everything else drools.
May 28, 2021, 10:04 AM
mykdude
Decades of subject matter combined with a high quality card company. Total win!!
May 28, 2021, 10:10 AM
wolfie
Dear Mr Rittenhouse, don't forget the Kylie autograph. Clap

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
May 28, 2021, 10:33 AM
Triple-Frog
Of course the key question for UK collectors is going to be whether the cards will be available here or is the licence just for the North American market .

I just hope Rittenhouse are prepared for the time it will take to get multiple levels of approvals from various BBC departments . I suggest they watch W1A to get an idea of what they are in for Smile .
May 28, 2021, 03:01 PM
Raj
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
Of course the key question for UK collectors is going to be whether the cards will be available here or is the licence just for the North American market .

I just hope Rittenhouse are prepared for the time it will take to get multiple levels of approvals from various BBC departments . I suggest they watch W1A to get an idea of what they are in for Smile .


It says worldwide deal in the statement.
May 28, 2021, 08:34 PM
Hedgehog Witch
So recent episodes first...I hope they don't forget Benni from episode "Orphan 55", nor his...erm...distressed other half. Wink Big Grin
Quite possibly the most irritating characters on Doctor Who ever! Big Grin

If Rittenhouse do a decent job with the cards, perhaps they could try writing some scripts too. Smile There have been way too many lousy episodes lately. Jodie Whittaker is a good actress, just wish they'd give her some decent ammunition to work with consistently.