Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2017 TOPPS STAR WARS STELLAR SIGNATURES
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 TOPPS STAR WARS STELLAR SIGNATURES
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Sorta off topic, but I was thinking...is there another actor alive whose autographs would sell as high as Harrison Ford's do given how much he has signed?

Are we talking people who have signed something before, or people who haven't? There are plenty who haven't who would, I would expect, easily rival or surpass Ford's prices if they were to sign for a franchise set of some kind (i.e. not just a handful of cards in a Pop Century set).

Al Pacino, Samuel L. Jackson, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Robert Di Niro, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery etc.

As for people who have signed before... the only one I've seen regularly get around the same price as Ford (as in actually sells for, not listed at) is Emma Watson... which is absurd, frankly. I would imagine Benedict Cumberbatch gets around that level as well, given that he's only signed twice, and only one of those was on-card.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Sorta off topic, but I was thinking...is there another actor alive whose autographs would sell as high as Harrison Ford's do given how much he has signed?

Are we talking people who have signed something before, or people who haven't? There are plenty who haven't who would, I would expect, easily rival or surpass Ford's prices if they were to sign for a franchise set of some kind (i.e. not just a handful of cards in a Pop Century set).

Al Pacino, Samuel L. Jackson, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Robert Di Niro, Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery etc.

As for people who have signed before... the only one I've seen regularly get around the same price as Ford (as in actually sells for, not listed at) is Emma Watson... which is absurd, frankly. I would imagine Benedict Cumberbatch gets around that level as well, given that he's only signed twice, and only one of those was on-card.

Sam Jackson signed for an Attack of the Clones set. Depp was in Willy Wonka. Granted, Willy Wonka isn't a "franchise set" as you mentioned, but the ones out there indicate he's not in the same league as Ford for value.

Ford Star Wars and Indy autos are always in the $1,000s. A Sean Connery Bond auto might be the closest thing, but I don't think any others you mentioned would command anywhere near that.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Sean Connery die cut autos on the recent Bond set (not an actual on card signature) have been selling for $ 1500 and up, but the ones with asking prices of much more than that have been on ebay, unsold.

I think someone did the math and they think that maybe 35-40 were made.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So some talk is coming out about this, mainly from distributors I think, since I can't find any official announcements.

I'll pass it on as gossip to be considered . . .

They are quoting $7,200 as a buy price for distributor types. That $2,800 profit, assuming you think you can find buyers at 10K. Not too shabby.

TOPPS supposedly is saying all 40 signers, whoever they are, will be in every box. What will change is the signer for any parallels and the signer on the guaranteed 1/1 card. So I read that as meaning you will get an autograph from every signer, but you are not getting the base card autograph from every signer. That's my own interpretation, it could be wrong.

Now everybody is waiting for the other 22 signers to be announced and especially for Ford, in or out. If the above is correct and they have him, he needs to have done 100 cards. Probably a few more to cover replacements and such. That would likely be more than whatever total signatures may be out there on him for every set he has been in so far, but its possible. Anything is possible, he needed a new plane after all. Big Grin

That's all the talk I can find and it seems like Ford is the key piece. If he's in every box you can make a case for the MSRP. If he is out or if it reverts to 5 autographs or such, it will be much harder to preach value. Just MHO and the early gossip.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
A few more, including Tom Baker, on display at NYCC.

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/conv...-photos-topps-booth/

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
A few more, including Tom Baker, on display at NYCC.

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/conv...-photos-topps-booth/

And Sarah Michelle Gellar (3rd row, 2nd photo)

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As announced in the other thread, Harrison Ford has signed cards for Star Wars Stellar Signatures. At the price of this product, everybody knew he had to be included to make it work.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Very early now, a couple of Harrison Ford base 40 autographs seem to have sold for around $2,600 - $2,800. This is much lower than values on his previously more limited signatures and only follows what we already know. Prices go down when supply goes up.

posted Hide Post
I collect Billy Dee Williams cards. While not in the same stratus as Ford, Williams' Stellar cards have been selling lower than similarly numbered cards from other sets as well.

I think this was a weak set in terms of variety. Autos, great. All of the auto parallels, bad. But at least I got some decently priced Lando cards for my collection.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
I collect Billy Dee Williams cards. While not in the same stratus as Ford, Williams' Stellar cards have been selling lower than similarly numbered cards from other sets as well.

I think this was a weak set in terms of variety. Autos, great. All of the auto parallels, bad. But at least I got some decently priced Lando cards for my collection.

I think this may be one of those moments for the hobby when someone realizes that we have gone too far. It all depends on whether or not people/dealers who have bought a box of Stellar solely for resale make or lose money on it. Often times it is very hard for us as collectors to tell just how well a product really sold for those in the business. Then suddenly someone like Crypto starts dropping titles for poor sales. News to me.

As an autograph collector who really hasn't invested in Star Wars very much, I would have loved a set of only autograph cards to catch up on nearly everyone of importance. However no way in the world a could justify even the discounted price here. Working the math even at peak signature card prices it hardly got there and now it seems, if reports are accurate, that individual cards are selling well off peak from other products. You also have to realize that true Star Wars fans probably have autograph cards from 90% of these actors already, only missing a few big ones maybe. So that's a problem too.

Of course things could change over time, but this is the honeymoon period right now, and if the Stellar signature cards from the few broken boxes are not getting big premiums over the already existing autograph cards it does not bode well for sellers. On the other hand buyers, especially those without prior autographs, should be quite happy.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a very interesting discussion on the Blowout Forum about this release. The conclusion seemed to be that dealers who got the product from Topps at direct cost were doing rather well and those who paid distributor price ( around $7200 ) were making a lesser profit but still a profit.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raven, I won't quote your whole past to simply say 'I agree', so I agree!

I think of all the Topps non-sport properties, SW was the clear one to do a test run of Stellar lineup.

Again, I can speak pretty clearly about Williams, and I think some of the market prices for Stellar autos are a combination of two main factors.

-an all-auto release means autos are more readily available. Very obvious statement, but getting a /25 auto out of this product is way easier than something more mass produced like, say, Journey to the Force Awakens.

-the parallels themselves aren't different enough until you ge to the /10s. For most, the base is a /40, then you have a /25 and then a /20 next down the line. Is there really going to be a big value difference in a /25 and a /20? No.

And I suppose there is a third. With all the SW movies seemingly having two or more sets, enough SW is enough. It is my favorite franchise of all time, but there are only so many images you can take from a film for any given character.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post