Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2017 TOPPS STAR WARS STELLAR SIGNATURES
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 TOPPS STAR WARS STELLAR SIGNATURES
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted
2017 Star Wars Stellar Signatures was announced at the end of the manufacturer’s annual Q&A at the 2017 National Sports Collectors Convention.. This takes a similar ultra high-end approach as Transcendent. Limited to just 100 boxes, each comes with 40 autographs.

Daisy Ridley, Hayden Christensen, Felicity Jones, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Carrie Fisher were among the autographs. Virtually all of the cards will be signed on-card. Of the samples, which were final copies of the cards, only the late Carrie Fisher and Kenny Baker were stickers.

While an exact price point wasn’t given, Topps’ David Leiner said it was more than Star Wars Masterwork but significantly less than Transcendent Baseball.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
When will this set be released?

Is it being released in November?

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
No release date given as of yet

Video posted here

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialToppsStarWars/

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Gwendolyn Christie?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
While an exact price point wasn’t given, Topps’ David Leiner said it was more than Star Wars Masterwork but significantly less than Transcendent Baseball.

On another forum people are guessing between 5K - 20K per box. Twak Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

on the other Forum, someone is taking credit for my "sharp" eye & using my screenshot.....LOL

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

on the other Forum, someone is taking credit for my "sharp" eye & using my screenshot.....LOL

Well they didn't give you "credit", but at least they said they found it on another forum.

There aren't too many non-sport card forums to pick from. Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
no worries.... I'm Hated on that Forum anyways....

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Seems like it will SRP at 10K per box. Only 100 boxes made.

Makes for nice round numbers anyway. Big Grin

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Here's more information on the series from Topps:

Topps' Star Wars Stellar Signatures

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
MSRP $10,000

here's a bit more info

https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress....tures-trading-cards/

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All that... and they don't even have Harrison Ford?

And no one new and exciting like Samuel L. Jackson either. You know, something that could come with (very remote) touching distance of justifying such a price.

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
All that... and they don't even have Harrison Ford?

And no one new and exciting like Samuel L. Jackson either. You know, something that could come with (very remote) touching distance of justifying such a price.

Exactly what I was thinking. $10k for what? Same old same old.

Don't get me wrong, some GREAT names are featured, but you could get them all from other (older and no doubt future) sets for a lot less than $10k! I don't see the appeal in this.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well in the interest of not jumping the gun, the autograph list is not complete. Not even all the information is complete.

There are 40 autographs in a box, guaranteed. Most will be the base autograph, some will be rarer parallels. So are we talking 40 different signers or just 40 different signed cards? Not clear yet.

Certainly other names are going to pop up. I can't see this without Mark Hamill for instance. However the big speculation is on Ford and Lucas.

If you run the math on these signers and there current premium autograph card prices without one of those two, preferably Ford, you are going to have a hard time making the case that the value is even 60% of the MSRP. Autographs for the new stars like Ridley are already dropping in price because the supply has gone up and will continue to go up with each new movie and each new set. Any Star Wars card collector probably has at least one autograph from most of the principals that may have cost a couple of hundred, but never a couple of thousand. So you almost absolutely need Ford or Lucas or some never before big signers to make it look good, not just for collectors, but also for the breakers/dealers who have to see enough profit in busting boxes up. And it can't be a random five cards, it has to be at least one very high value autograph in every box.

Sports cards have sold at these prices. It is a big jump for non-sport cards and especially on a title that has been so thoroughly mined. However I would not write it off at this point and I wouldn't jump on the band wagon either. That's hypothetically speaking of course, no way I could personally touch this product, even if I had a desire to do it.

However in terms of the crazy stuff that goes on in this hobby, this is an interesting test case. It will fail or succeed based on the perceived value of that final content. We aren't there yet.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
whatever the breakdown....

the "value" is the Rarity...Only 100 Boxes

40 Autos per box...pretty much 1 - 1 of 1 per Box, Never mind that there are 2 Different Colors that are 1 of 1. 40 autos will have 2 different color 1 of 1 cards...so there's 80 1 of 1's.

SMG limited to 100 On Card will sell pretty well, Tim Curry also.....

we can "fairly" assume Mark Hamil & Anthony Daniels, the Kylo Ren dude, a few more Rogue One Autos, and a few of the Better Autos....

I can't see Topps getting 150 Harrison Ford Autos... no matter the price point. but Ender's Game could have been a turning point on him Signing.... who knows.....

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sorta off topic, but I was thinking...is there another actor alive whose autographs would sell as high as Harrison Ford's do given how much he has signed? Granted his autograph cards are extremely scarce in every set he's in but still, he's had to have signed a couple/few hundred cards by now total. I don't think there's an actor or actress alive that can bring in the prices he does. And he's a great actor but there are a lot of great actors. I have to believe it has more to do with those two roles than anything else. Indiana Jones and Han Solo are two of the most iconic movie characters of all-time, with Indiana Jones being #1 in my book.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO way that's 10k worth of cards haha

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
...However the big speculation is on Ford and Lucas.

Given his recent comments, I think the chances of George Lucas signing are extremely low.

Posts: 1116 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
whatever the breakdown....

the "value" is the Rarity...Only 100 Boxes

40 Autos per box...pretty much 1 - 1 of 1 per Box, Never mind that there are 2 Different Colors that are 1 of 1. 40 autos will have 2 different color 1 of 1 cards...so there's 80 1 of 1's.

The breakdown is key because we all accept that it is, at best, artificial rarity. The cards are rare. The cards are 1/1s. The autographs are a different matter.

A genuine certified autograph has its own value and that is based on the same principles of supply and demand, but demand is measured across the whole spectrum and is not limited to the rarity of any particular instrument.

So you can sign 100 cards in one set and the signature would be very limited and in demand if 1000 people want it. But if you have signed 100 cards in 20 different sets with varying price points, you now have 2000 autographs out there, with different values and still only 1000 people who want it. Only now it is much less than 1000 people because a good portion of them have already acquired an autograph. So the demand portion is falling, even as the supply grows when the next 100 autographed cards is released.

To me, as someone who values the signature more than the card, that's just basic stuff. I don't want a 1/1 card if that means I am supposed to think it worth 10 times more than the value of the same autograph, also on a licensed and certified card. If a Star Wars signer in this set has $30 Star Wars autograph cards available, should I pay $300 for a 1/1 card in Stellar Signatures?

If your answer is yes, then the breakdown doesn't matter, only the rarity of the card. My answer would be no, the autograph isn't worth it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
...However the big speculation is on Ford and Lucas.

Given his recent comments, I think the chances of George Lucas signing are extremely low.

Have you watched the videos, though? He continues to sign while complaining. Smile

They're out of their minds asking $10k for these. Even when they add Ford (which, lets face it, they will), there's still nowhere near $10k in value. Not even close. How about some oversized sketch cards? Awesome relics? Nope.

The parallels are a joke as nobody will be chasing them. That's just perceived value. A 1/1 Ford won't be worth much more than a 1/5.

Cut the price in half and they'll sell out. As it stands, I'd be surprised if 25 of them go before they're discounted on Black Friday. Big Grin

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post