Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    $400,000 Brady autograph card
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$400,000 Brady autograph card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Leave it up to our friends in the sports card world to make our $3000 Robert Downey Jr card look like chump change. Wink

https://news.justcollecting.co...LdVX0whrf4ywm1eethGw

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a 19 year old certified autograph card, which has 100 copies. The other 99 are sure to be kicking around someplace, probably in near mint condition. This one is of course high graded by BGS. It was apparently brokered by PWCC.

If I had $400,000 to burn, I would hope that I could think of something better to spend it on. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I knew I should have used a different card on my bicycle wheel spokes!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
If I had $400,000 to burn, I would hope that I could think of something better to spend it on. Big Grin

RIGHT!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I knew I should have used a different card on my bicycle wheel spokes!

Hahahahahahaha!

I can see the news article now, collector kills mother for throwing away cards. Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the type of thing I was referring to in the "My Best Ebay Sell" thread.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/9107010196

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
This is the type of thing I was referring to in the "My Best Ebay Sell" thread.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/9107010196

And its the type of thing I was referring to in that exact same thread when I was trying to explain why sports card collecting and sports card collectors are fundamental different from non-sport card collecting and non-sport card collectors. Thank Goodness. Big Grin

This is one of Brady's very limited rookie cards and its an autographed card. Brady is the greatest quarterback ever in the NFL, even people who hate him can't argue with his record now. Although it is not a vintage card, being from 2000, it is in the highest condition graded so far. This card ticks all the boxes, low production, autograph, high grade, greatest player know by everyone. There is a huge market just for that one player and this one card. It has nothing to do with collecting any other cards, sub-sets, sets, it is the single card that some people have bid up this high. And there are 99 more of them someplace. Wink

I think its nuts, but I get it. It follows the logic of sports cards. However you can't replicate it for a non-sport celebrity. No one can prove they are the best actor who ever lived. The rookie card doesn't exist, even though there are first cards and first autographs. Grading means less in non-sport, again Thank Goodness. There are way fewer non-sport card collectors compared to sports card collectors so the demand is much less, which holds down bidding on non-sport.

So we are both right really. The big names in sports cards are bringing more than they did a few years ago, but that in itself doesn't translate directly to big names in non-sport cards. It won't hurt them. It may call more attention to non-sport cards. There already is a carryover in flipper activity, but to come up with a modern non-sport autograph card in the 6 figures, I really can't think of any contenders and the logic of non-sport collecting is against it.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Bradie who?
I don't follow feetball.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
So we are both right really.

I'm not trying to be right. . .

I just wanted people to know what I was talking about from the other thread when Promoking asked me to explain more. This is exactly the phenomenon I was talking/reading about when I posted back in May.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
quote:
I've been hearing that there is a major rise in the price of sports cards happening. . . Perhaps that will raise the profile of some non-sport cards as well.

That is very interesting. Is it all sports or certain ones? Older or newer cards? Tell us more!

It's been a minute and this is a topic I haven't revisited so I am not sharp on the details, but at the time I was reading posts on Blowout talking about how the 'blue chip' athletes (Tom Brady, Jordan, etc) were bringing way more than they were just a few years ago.

This was not in reference to any cyclical collecting.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes from the trimming situation.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Here's a shocker about why it's risky to be a sports card collector. For every halfway Tom Brady there are hundreds of rookies that never make the team and once in awhile there is an Andrew Luck that is even worse. If you don't follow it, Andrew Luck is/was the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts since 2012 and he just retired out of the blue at the age of 29.

Now to be fair, the guy's hurting. Even though he's a big quarterback, he has gotten injured a lot and missed the entire 2017 season, but he came back strong last year and prospects for the Colts were high. His prospects have always been high and he was still viewed as a possible heir to Brady. So his best graded rookie cards are priced in the thousands with room to grow. Not now though, the bottom just fell out.

If as a sports card collector you invested heavily in Luck or built your collection around him, you are out of luck. The way he left his team seemingly without warning throws the dirt on it. He's not feeling good, he's lost his desire, he should have told them sooner, their season just nosedived. So he isn't getting the benefit of even going out with sympathy, it's a personal disaster for him and anybody thinking that maybe someday they might have a $400,000 Luck autograph card. At least he keeps his money.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
These people who buy cards purely in order to make a profit on them deserve no sympathy at all when it all goes wrong and before all the dealers kill me i don't mean them.

People who buy a card because they like and want the card can never lose.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Thank you. You are a non-sport card collector talking and you illustrate the difference perfectly.

Sports card collectors are now buying up all the rookie autos of Jacoby Brissett from eBay and if you've never heard of him, no one has. He is the next Colts quarterback. In the mean time pending eBay sales on Luck cards still within the return date policy are in serious question, as many buyers will look to cancel.

That is the gambling world of sports cards that I hope we don't emulate in the name of progress.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some are already saying he might come back in a year or two to fully recover from his calf injury that became more of an ankle problem (or whatever it was) but the people who've known him (former teammate, college coach) say he's done. The Colts might still have him if they'd spent some money on the offensive line a few years ago.

I thought it was a no-class move when some of the Colts fans booed Luck after he announced his retirement. If he could play, he would. He's been hurt a lot and it has worn on him. And yeah, I heard he would be walking away from hundreds of millions of dollars.

Think about Brady and how lucky any of the speculators have been with him. Remember the Super Bowl against the Seahawks when Carroll (Seattle coach) called a pass play instead of just giving the ball to Lynch with the Patriot defense on its heels. The people were wondering if it was over for Brady but then there was an interception and Brady was suddenly a hero. And when the Patriots were way behind the Falcons in the Super Bowl two years later, the announcers were asking if he was through. The Patriots came back and won. I don't think he would've retired after either of those games but his cards wouldn't be worth as much now.

Hey Raven, when I started watching football, the Colts had just won a Super Bowl and the first one I remember was when the Cowboys beat the Dolphins ending the '71 season. Back then, people talked about Unitas being the best quarterback ever though some said it was Sammy Baugh. Unitas retired as a Charger a few years later when a guy named Dan Fouts was a rookie.
People still talked about Unitas when Montana was winning Super Bowls but have you noticed that no one talks about Baugh, nor Unitas anymore and Montana is starting to drift out of the conversation these days. Brady is 5-3 in Super Bowls but Montana has no idea how it feels to lose one at 4-0.

Jess

quote:
Here's a shocker about why it's risky to be a sports card collector. For every halfway Tom Brady there are hundreds of rookies that never make the team and once in awhile there is an Andrew Luck that is even worse. If you don't follow it, Andrew Luck is/was the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts since 2012 and he just retired out of the blue at the age of 29.

Now to be fair, the guy's hurting. Even though he's a big quarterback, he has gotten injured a lot and missed the entire 2017 season, but he came back strong last year and prospects for the Colts were high. His prospects have always been high and he was still viewed as a possible heir to Brady. So his best graded rookie cards are priced in the thousands with room to grow. Not now though, the bottom just fell out.

If as a sports card collector you invested heavily in Luck or built your collection around him, you are out of luck. The way he left his team seemingly without warning throws the dirt on it. He's not feeling good, he's lost his desire, he should have told them sooner, their season just nosedived. So he isn't getting the benefit of even going out with sympathy, it's a personal disaster for him and anybody thinking that maybe someday they might have a $400,000 Luck autograph card. At least he keeps his money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My favorite football cards are still the '71 Topps which were released the year I started following football, baseball, and basketball. I still have all my 70's baseball cards (very few likely in NM condition) but have no idea what happened to my football cards and a few of those large basketball cards. I bought some '71 Topps and some of the Kellogg's 3D baseball cards from the 70's in the mid-90's when I got into cards again and went to shows (even went to the National the last time it was in Anaheim). I guess I'm one of the few that likes the 3D cards (you can get a lot of players for around $10) and recall the thrill in getting them out of the cereal box (first one was the '72 Kellogg's Lou Brock).

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Thank you. You are a non-sport card collector talking and you illustrate the difference perfectly.

Sports card collectors are now buying up all the rookie autos of Jacoby Brissett from eBay and if you've never heard of him, no one has. He is the next Colts quarterback. In the mean time pending eBay sales on Luck cards still within the return date policy are in serious question, as many buyers will look to cancel.

That is the gambling world of sports cards that I hope we don't emulate in the name of progress.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Some are already saying he might come back in a year or two to fully recover from his calf injury that became more of an ankle problem (or whatever it was) but the people who've known him (former teammate, college coach) say he's done.

Hey Raven, when I started watching football, the Colts had just won a Super Bowl and the first one I remember was when the Cowboys beat the Dolphins ending the '71 season. Back then, people talked about Unitas being the best quarterback ever though some said it was Sammy Baugh. Unitas retired as a Charger a few years later when a guy named Dan Fouts was a rookie.
People still talked about Unitas when Montana was winning Super Bowls but have you noticed that no one talks about Baugh, nor Unitas anymore and Montana is starting to drift out of the conversation these days. Brady is 5-3 in Super Bowls but Montana has no idea how it feels to lose one at 4-0.

Jess

Hey Jess. It's impossible to even try to compare pro sports stars from different eras now. All of the pro sports, especially football and basketball, have changed with the crazy rules and the physical requirements of the players. How many HOF football and basketball players couldn't even compete on pro ball teams now? To me, only hockey stayed pretty much true to the old game and hockey players were always like that. Big Grin

As for Luck, he's not coming back. He's done too much damage. The people who are feeling his pain and praising him are the ones who have no stake in it and lost nothing by it and that's just the truth. There are certain things that just come with the money and fame, no matter the job. Brady would play forever if he could. Rodgers will try to stay in the game even if his leg gets broken. That's what the fans want to see, someone who is giving them their all.

That Luck doesn't want to go through rehab and wants to leave the game while he is in good health is commendable on a personal level. On a professional level, and as an unforced choice, it isn't. He hurt his teammates, the team itself, the NFL itself, the Colts fans, the advertisers, the ticket holders, the fantasy game players, the gamblers, the card collectors, the guys that sell his jerseys, the autograph collectors, the stadium peanut vendors, I mean you could drill it down to a ton of people that lost something in some way. Big Grin So of course no one should hate the guy for doing what's best for him, but to say everyone should just be happy for him isn't going to happen either. A lot of people had their own happiness partially invested in him and that has to be acknowledged as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The rest of the AFC and their fans aren't too broken up especially the Titans who never beat Luck.

I'm not sure the peanut vendors are going to take a hit but I hear you. The beer vendors in Indy will pick up some business. Don't worry about the gamblers. They roll with every wrinkle in the game.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Some are already saying he might come back in a year or two to fully recover from his calf injury that became more of an ankle problem (or whatever it was) but the people who've known him (former teammate, college coach) say he's done.

Jess

Hey Jess. It's impossible to even try to compare pro sports stars from different eras now. All of the pro sports, especially football and basketball, have changed with the crazy rules and the physical requirements of the players. How many HOF football and basketball players couldn't even compete on pro ball teams now? To me, only hockey stayed pretty much true to the old game and hockey players were always like that. Big Grin

As for Luck, he's not coming back. He's done too much damage. The people who are feeling his pain and praising him are the ones who have no stake in it and lost nothing by it and that's just the truth. There are certain things that just come with the money and fame, no matter the job. Brady would play forever if he could. Rodgers will try to stay in the game even if his leg gets broken. That's what the fans want to see, someone who is giving them their all.

That Luck doesn't want to go through rehab and wants to leave the game while he is in good health is commendable on a personal level. On a professional level, and as an unforced choice, it isn't. He hurt his teammates, the team itself, the NFL itself, the Colts fans, the advertisers, the ticket holders, the fantasy game players, the gamblers, the card collectors, the guys that sell his jerseys, the autograph collectors, the stadium peanut vendors, I mean you could drill it down to a ton of people that lost something in some way. Big Grin So of course no one should hate the guy for doing what's best for him, but to say everyone should just be happy for him isn't going to happen either. A lot of people had their own happiness partially invested in him and that has to be acknowledged as well.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If Tampa Bay wins the Super Bowl, how soon before that Brady rookie Playoff Contenders autograph card breaks its own record?

Wonder how many of them Tom owns? Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Tampa Bay wins the Super Bowl, how soon before that Brady rookie Playoff Contenders autograph card breaks its own record?

Wonder how many of them Tom owns? Big Grin

Right! Have not been following it but I would be surprised it has not be climbing all year.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
$555,988.00

Six days ago! Of course grade 9 of the same card went for a paltry $90k.

8EAAOSwS0JgAjkP" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-...f:gRed Face8EAAOSwS0JgAjkP

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
$555,988.00

Six days ago! Of course grade 9 of the same card went for a paltry $90k.

8EAAOSwS0JgAjkP" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-...f:gRed Face8EAAOSwS0JgAjkP

Geez, who goes on eBay and spends over half a million dollars on a 21 year old football card with a pretty awful looking autograph? Roll Eyes

Yes, I know all about the grading, the rarity, the HOF records, the investment potential, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It's a football card, artificially manufactured for limited production, with a lazy signature from a guy that could probably spit dozens out daily for the next 40 years if he so chooses.

I may be guilty of envying other people for owning many things, but having this card under glass in your underground vault isn't one of them. Big Grin Razz

And by the way, that listing says the shipping cost is $8.00. I expect that will be adjusted. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

And by the way, that listing says the shipping cost is $8.00. I expect that will be adjusted. Big Grin

That was what stopped me from buying it. I'm not paying $8 to post one card. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post