Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    New Lost Set: Archives
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lost Set: Archives
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm just going to wait and see. At the moment I don't like the sounds of premium packs as I love base and chase sets (i also love the autos and relics too) and enjoy opening numerous packets wondering what I may get in a pack.
But until I know more info about this set I'm not making a decision as to if it's a good or bad thing.
I guess I'm just excited there's going to be a new lost set. I will keep buying as long as they keep making.

Posts: 128 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Would you consider making premium packs only of new Bond cards? How about Star Trek? I don't think so, but where do you draw the line? Confused

If I were a card manufacturer, I'd consider it for any license. I might not buy it myself, but some would. I suspect a limited premium Star Wars, Star Trek or Bond set could do very well. It won't be popular with everyone but I suspect there's some who would enter this side of the hobby if it did happen.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
Should this new LOST set be a premium pack, if I'm not mistaken, this will be the first time it's been used for an established card license. While I go after base sets, this is an instance where it could help. How many more LOST cards do we need? Maybe one or two concepts could warrant fully blown base sets, but more than likely you'd be starting to recycle content and photos. With smaller premium pack sets like this, you might be able to keep a license fresher longer.

Actually, I would consider Breygent's Scifi and Horror Poster Series 2 the first premium pack product of an established line. That is exactly why I was a little put off with that product. But Breygent ended up making base sets available which let those who collected the first set get at least the base set without investing hundreds on premium packs.

I wholeheartedly agree about LOST running out of images. Between the Inkworks sets and the two Rittenhouse sets we are already seeing some duplication. I think LOST is the perfect premium product. Popular enough to sell packs and cards on the secondary market as well. And, it would be pretty easy to follow up with another set if popular, unlike producing yet another base set.

And who knows what the configuration will ultimately look like. Rittenhouse will tweak products if necessary, I'm sure. So it might not be exactly like Spartacus.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Would you consider making premium packs only of new Bond cards? How about Star Trek? I don't think so, but where do you draw the line? Confused

If I were a card manufacturer, I'd consider it for any license. I might not buy it myself, but some would. I suspect a limited premium Star Wars, Star Trek or Bond set could do very well. It won't be popular with everyone but I suspect there's some who would enter this side of the hobby if it did happen.

I really am finding the different viewpoints about this premium pack issue interesting. Your comment about attracting people to this side of the hobby (sports card collectors?) is something that I was not considering.

In my experience the only reason why a commited sports card collector turns to non-sport is because they get fed up with the workings of their hobby, but still love to collect cards. That's exactly why I turned from sports cards to non-sport autograph cards, and eventually sketches and material cards. All of the premium sports card products that I wouldn't/couldn't buy made me feel like a second class citizen. Non-sport cards was a great alternative to remain a card collector.

As for making limited releases of the popular licenses, I would agree that new images of old shows and movies are hard to find after 3 or 4 sets have been produced. I also agree that people will like the added value of limited premium autograph and prop cards.

But the one big problem that card manufacturers will have in doing this, is ensuring that the premium packs are available and affordable to long time franchise collectors, who will surely want to continue their collections of Lost, Bond, Star Trek, Twilight Zone, or whatever license. The hobby can't afford to lose anybody while it is trying to grow. And I think we can all agree that it does have to try and change to stay fresh. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I don't think having a premium set for LOST is such a bad idea as there are now 6 full sets in total already produced (4 inkworks, 2 RA)

Nice to hear that Naveen Andrews has signed, but I can see this is not a show that we're going to get every main character's auto. It's a real shame because I'd love to be able to display a LOST collection, but without Jack, Hurley, and Charlie, it just seems really incomplete. Might pick up a couple of packs though, to see what they are like.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jaguar69
posted Hide Post
Its Aug 2012, does anyone know if there is another Lost set in the pipeline at Rittenhouse? Still a few big signers and and i would imagine there are loads of props that could be used in a future set.

Posts: 96 | Location: Ipswich, UK | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I don't know if we'll see another set of LOST from RA.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was Lost Relics much of a success? There are two or three cards that are rarely sighted and fetch good money, but you can even get Naveen Andrews autos for about $15 these days.

As much as I would love to see another release, it is hard to see too much interest from the general public.

Posts: 26 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: April 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post