Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Dinamation dinosaur cards - variant set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinamation dinosaur cards - variant set
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Earlier this year, I saw some oddball cards for sale. They looked like the Star Pics Dinamation cards from 1992 but they were in 10-card cello-packs. I knew the cards were originally available in packs and factory sets but didn't recall them in cello-packs and took a closer look. These cello-pack cards do not have the Star Pics logo on the front and the back bears neither the Star Pics logo nor the date as on the regular cards. It made me wonder if these were some kind of promo because they were in cello-packs and Dinamation had at least three promo variant versions of their cards already (the Jiffy Pop Dino Babies, the Iron Kids Bread cards with the Iron Kids logo on the back, and the E.P.I Marketing 30 card set which I've heard about but not seen - something that went up for sale in a Roxanne Toser auction years ago). Of course, not everything in a cello-pack is a promo but it's often an indicator especially if the cards are different from the regular set.

I bought about 30 packs for not much money. The dealer got them from a wholesaler. He didn't know where they came from.

I've opened at least 20 packs (200 cards) and still don't have close to a set. In fact, after opening a few packs, it was clear that collation is terrible. Some packs contain two of the same cards. I have only 32 different numbers and at least 10 copies of 10 numbers with over 20 of one number plus 13 numbers represented by 1 copy. It's possible this version of the set is skip-numbered but I found three new numbers in the last two packs opened. Still haven't seen cards 78-80.

I asked someone who specializes in dinosaur cards about them and he hadn't heard of them and they don't seem to be documented elsewhere (checked Allender list, Todd's 2007 Encyclopedia, Mike Riley's site, etc.). Maybe someone here knows about them.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I obtained ten packs and I can't find anything about them so far. Seems like it is definitely promotional but where to verify this is a mystery.

One I would like to solve.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I tried to hunt down more info but came up empty. There are so many packs that I wondered if they were for some kind of promotion or show giveaway but the event didn't happen or the packs didn't get handed out for some reason or maybe the people just had that many leftover.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen on ebay what appears to be a pack of Dino Cards by Star Pics, that says French's Summer Set on it.

It says on the pack to collect all 3 sets, Sports, Summer and Music.

What are these, exactly ? I have never seen them before.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post