Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Under The Dome Season 2 "Collector's Set" (Rittenhouse)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under The Dome Season 2 "Collector's Set" (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
For the princely sum of $250 you too can have 17 autographs you've already got from season 1, plus one new one and a handful of base cards...

Under The Dome Season 2 was obviously meant to be a proper set, but instead is now a "collector's set" containing 13 base cards and 18 autographs:

Mike Vogel
Mackenzie Lintz
Britt Robertson
Samantha Mathis
Aisha Hinds
Jeff Fahey
Dale Raoul
Colin Ford
John Elvis
Jolene Purdy
Grace Victoria Cox
Nicholas Strong
Ned Bellamy
R. Keith Harris
Mare Winningham
Josh Carter
Natalie Martinez
Beth Broderick

Three-set incentive: Alexander Koch autograph

Limited to 250 sets.

http://scifihobby.com/products/underthedome/season2/

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Probably the best RA could do with it and it's not a bad deal if you are a fan of OtD. There has to be a few of them still out there. Wink

This show should have been made as a mini-series or wrapped up in one 10 episode season at most. The concept wears out as you drag it on and the idea of finding new guest stars when everyone was already under glass just got to be hysterical. Big Grin

At least the autograph cards are out there.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I think this'll be a tough sell, even at that reasonable price, without Julia and/or Big Jim autographs. Still, there's something to be said for on-card autos at about $14 per and with a lot of young actors included. The Britt Robertson would've surely been better had not her "Tomorrowland" done so poorly last month.

If they could've gotten Stephen King to sign, however, they could've added $400+ on to the cost and it still would've sold out fast. Indeed, 'graphs from the Master of Horror might've been enough to make this a regular release.

I'm also astonished they've wrung three seasons out of this, but we do still watch it, loyalty to King most likely. He doesn't know how to end a goodly amount of his books either.

Beyond that, I'm also really glad that we are getting these original shows when it used to just be reruns all summer on the networks. The success of "Under the Dome" season 1 is likely a big part of why, although this cycle may be coming to an end as these shows are now tending to underperform. We're watching "Wayward Pines" and "Aquarius" and both of those are good enough, too.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well Zoo is the one running now, but I will say the book was awful and only Patterson's name got this one produced. The story is The Day of the Animals with a bigger budget and just as little sense. Big Grin

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm incredibly disappointed with this. I'm a big fan of the show, have finished the first set bar a Lefevre auto, a couple of costumes, P3 and the characters set, and was looking forward to this being a small set to fill in the gaps in the auto line-up - particularly Dean Norris and Alex Koch, maybe Natalie Zea and Brett Cullen.

Not 17 repeats and just one new one. Sure the price is reasonable for that number of autos, but when they're all repeats, and over half of them are - it's sad to say - not worth the card they're printed on and season one versions can't be given away now, the "reasonableness" of that price starts taking significant hits.

The low level of interest in the first set should have told them that the only people likely to be interested in this set are collectors of the first one, who don't need the main cast autos again. It's not like this is going to be sold to new collectors. But they probably cancelled any new autos they hadn't had returned yet to save money, and all the repeat signers had probably signed two cards up front in the first place.

So yeah, don't be fooled, this is a cheap product for them to put out to try and recoup some money. They haven't even done character cards for the new season 2 characters to follow on from the first season set.

At least by mis-pitching this in such a big way, it makes the decision not to buy it a very easy one.

I wonder if Cryptozoic have some kind of exclusivity agreement with Norris and Cullen...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenheart,

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well I can understand that you wanted more, but as a big fan of Under the Dome, you really shouldn't be disappointed with RA for giving collectors the opportunity to have a pretty complete product. Eighteen signers is a good portion of the cast. Big names can't be guaranteed and they are releasing what they have.

I am not a fan and always thought OtD to be a marginal title. I would have never gone after it and I'm sure RA regrets it now. But if Season 1 did not sell well, there is no way Season 2 will do any better without bigger draws added to the hits.

What aggravates me is that there are so many cable shows that are on for 6 - 7 years, many have gone off, with no sets at all. Maybe it's the studios that refused some offers, but others are just passed up because they don't fall into that horror/sci-fi category that card companies think is the big attraction to collectors. How about shows like Monk, Deadwood, The Shield, The Closer, Major Crimes, Justified, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, none of them were made into cards and they were/are very popular.

When a title like OtD under performs, it makes the card companies retreat into franchise mode and all we get is the same tired titles, now broken up semi-annually into Part 1 and Part 2 even. Big Grin That isn't the answer either. Be happy if you get your show title and support it when you do, is about all I can say.