Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    mini archive boxes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mini archive boxes
 Login/Join

posted
I love this idea.hot boxes and also mini archive boxes.what will they think of next??

http://www.scifihobby.com/prod.../bronzeage/index.cfm

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Just read this on the Marvel Bronze Age. Interesting idea. I wonder if they are going to do this for all releases or just sketch card insert releases?

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I just hope the mini archive boxes are worth the money. Does this mean they will be inserted into cases?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pumpkindiver
posted Hide Post
Are these going to be labelled on the outside of the box? I really hope the hot boxes are not labelled. It'd be another kick in the face for the non case buyers knowing that the cool stuff won't be in a standard box. And how rare are the mini archive boxes going to be?

Posts: 154 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they will be like hot boxes.un-labelled and randomly inserted?

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Good for the end collector...

Not so good for dealers...

Used to be that people would put master sets together a piece at a time, now most of them just go for the archive box and be done with it.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be better for everyone if you didn't know it was a hot box until you have at least busted a few packs.

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I agree with that. There should be nothing on the box inside or outside to say it is a mini archive box.

This way the person who buys it gets a great surprise opening their packs.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know the insertion rate. Way back I use to get excited by the possibility of finding an archive box, never happened and not likely to. I've heard the same from others as well.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Used to be that people would put master sets together a piece at a time, now most of them just go for the archive box and be done with it.

Well looking at current prices for Rittenhouse sketch sets, we're only talking about $60!

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's certainly a positive and a step in the right direction. Since they sort of threw the average collector under the bus siding with dealers it's nice to see they haven't completely forgot about them.

Though the cynical part of me thinks this is a last ditch attempt at trying to stay afloat. Bond and Trek, are aging, with most cards worthless and repeat signer overkill. GoT and TB have rabid fans but the releases certainly didn't set the community ablaze and all their Sci-fi network releases just aren't popular enough to sustain consumer interest. They have no really popular franchises or releases because there really aren't many left and those that are left don't really lend themselves to card releases. So where does Rittenhouse go from here?

As for it being labelled or not, I'd prefer it labeled. It gives people a chance to sell them if they wish to other collectors.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt_Blue:
It's certainly a positive and a step in the right direction. Since they sort of threw the average collector under the bus siding with dealers it's nice to see they haven't completely forgot about them.

Though the cynical part of me thinks this is a last ditch attempt at trying to stay afloat. Bond and Trek, are aging, with most cards worthless and repeat signer overkill. GoT and TB have rabid fans but the releases certainly didn't set the community ablaze and all their Sci-fi network releases just aren't popular enough to sustain consumer interest. They have no really popular franchises or releases because there really aren't many left and those that are left don't really lend themselves to card releases. So where does Rittenhouse go from here?

As for it being labelled or not, I'd prefer it labeled. It gives people a chance to sell them if they wish to other collectors.

I find it hilarious that you like to just slam Rittenhouse every chance you get. I am just glad that you seem to be in the minority when it comes to their releases.

And it would be silly to label the mini archive boxes. Dealer's that sell boxes separately would love that, and we can't have the dealers getting anything extra can we? Yeah...they shouldn't get anything for spending tens of thousands of dollars on Rittenhouse products.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think with 200 mini archives plus 200 hot boxes and an outside chance of an archive box??rittenhouse just got a whole lot better for the average box buyer.

Well played Rittenhouse

Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
Way better if the boxes are not labeled. If that's the case, you might as well label packs with the hit/sketch card then, so that they can be resold for $. Silly.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
Way better if the boxes are not labeled. If that's the case, you might as well label packs with the hit/sketch card then, so that they can be resold for $. Silly.

I'm pretty sure they will be unmarked.I think its dawned on Rittenhouse that collectors were getting a little fed up so they have topped it up a little for the normal collector.

Without the support of the small guy?this hobby will slowly die.good for dealers aswell cause collectors will be more likly to buy a box or 2 if they think they have a chance of pulling one of these boxes??

Just hope they do tv suff with 10 autos in a hot box in the future?? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt_Blue:

I find it hilarious that you like to just slam Rittenhouse every chance you get. I am just glad that you seem to be in the minority when it comes to their releases.

And it would be silly to label the mini archive boxes. Dealer's that sell boxes separately would love that, and we can't have the dealers getting anything extra can we? Yeah...they shouldn't get anything for spending tens of thousands of dollars on Rittenhouse products.

Woah Stress out Sally. Deep breaths man, deep breaths. I don't know what your problem is, but ever since I criticized Quotable Voyager you've had a personal problem with me. Please grow up and let me express my opinions.

Chuck only on the forums. If you actually bothered to look at things rationally and not let your emotions get the better of you you would see Rittenhouse isn't in good shape.

- Cannot afford Star Trek costume cards
- Bringing back dead licenses (Stargate)
- Regularly having releases that fail to sell out quickly or if at all
- Same chase inserts/ratios for most products
- Printing on cheaper card stock

Chuck everything I posted in my previous post is true so I don't get the need to attack,especially as I was praising them for the innovation just questioning their motives behind the decision.

So what if the dealers would love that, some consumers would love that too. Not everything has to be mutually exclusive. Yet again with the attitude. I don't see why dealers should be rewarded for spending thousands of dollars. They already get their money back isn't that enough?

Clearblue that already happens and there already is a market for it. Rittenhouse with Star Trek communicator cards and sports cards with memorabilia and autos. Bit behind the times there Clearblue.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Bartowski:

Unmarked seems to be a better option for everyone, actually. . . I would hope that the added incentive to get a one of the special boxes would help dealers sell boxes, which may help them get more incentives, but either way having product sell through to collectors is better for everyone. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Clearblue that already happens and there already is a market for it. Rittenhouse with Star Trek communicator cards and sports cards with memorabilia and autos. Bit behind the times there Clearblue.

A tad condescending, no? Besides, that's not exactly true. What you've described is not quite the same. You're describing a discrepancy with packs that look and feel different. It doesn't explicitly say 'autograph in pack' or 'sketch in pack'. That would be silly and labelling a box 'hot box' is just as silly. I'll be fine when they stop labeling 'archive' boxes too.

Also, you obviously know this cause you're so smart and in the know, but that's why they sometimes have decoy cards inserted in packs. There's no perfect way of hiding inserts. If you're gonna spend the time to search thru packs, of course you'll find the difference. But honest average people don't do that. So why make it any easier? Labeling products like that would just take the fun out of things, whether it be packs, boxes, or cases.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
Good for the end collector...

Not so good for dealers...

Ed

You're right, but alot of that has to do with the way people have been conditioned to collect since the internet market age began. In the early 90's and before collectors bought cards mainly from hobby stores and card show dealers. Much of it was hit and miss. Common, inexpensive cards could be more difficult to find than expensive ones. The excitement was in the hunt and every collector had a want list.

Today finding any card, no matter how scarce, is not really a problem. They turn up often on the Bay or in various website searches. The only restriction is the cost, and prices are pretty uniform because every seller is watching every other seller. If you are a buyer and you are willing to spend enough money any set can be done with fast, but I think that it does take away from the collecting aspect of it.

I mean its just acquiring because you can afford it. Its neither challenging nor rewarding and its part of the reason why a slew of collectible markets have just imploded. Easy availibility on items that were assumed to be limited took away interest and destroyed pricing on everything from coins to plates to beanie babies to Hummel figurines.

Having said all that, I think mini archive boxes are a good idea and they certainly shouldn't be marked. I may prefer the old days in general, but we must adapt or die. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
quote:

A tad condescending, no? Besides, that's not exactly true. What you've described is not quite the same. You're describing a discrepancy with packs that look and feel different. It doesn't explicitly say 'autograph in pack' or 'sketch in pack'. That would be silly and labelling a box 'hot box' is just as silly. I'll be fine when they stop labeling 'archive' boxes too.

Also, you obviously know this cause you're so smart and in the know, but that's why they sometimes have decoy cards inserted in packs. There's no perfect way of hiding inserts. If you're gonna spend the time to search thru packs, of course you'll find the difference. But honest average people don't do that. So why make it any easier? Labeling products like that would just take the fun out of things, whether it be packs, boxes, or cases.

Whether intentional or not, labeled or not the end result is the same.

Wouldn't mini archive boxes stick out regardless?

Also, you obviously know this cause you're so smart and in the know, but decoy cards don't work. Sure they're inserted but all those sellers on Ebay that advertise a hit in a sealed pack are from my experience and seeing others nearly always accurate. It doesn't take the fun out either I still don't know what hit I'm getting, just the type. It also eliminates all those crappy base cards and you only buy what you want. I'm sick of filling up garbage bins with base cards.

Clearblue what do you mean honest people don't pack search? So what if someone searches packs, it's not a crime.