Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    In the Game Canadiana (TBD 2011)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the Game Canadiana (TBD 2011)
 Login/Join

posted
So not a whole lot of information on this one yet.

For those who collect hockey (as I did for years), In the Game has been the dog at the heels of UD. UD was granted an exclusive license for NHL cards. ITG continued to put out releases of NHL players in creative ways (leaving logos out, going after individual contracts with players, etc.).

They had some non-sport autos in one of their hockey-themed releases last year. Now apparently they are going more towards a non-sport set with a smattering of sports personalities.

Details are sketchy. This was in an email I received from ITG:
--

In The Game celebrates being Canadian with the upcoming release of Canadiana.

Canada has produced world-class entertainers, athletes, entrepreneurs, inventors, scientists and world leaders.

Our product will be both educational and recreational and will allow all Canadians to learn more about our rich Canadian heritage and how Canadians have had an impact throughout the world.

Talent, ability and hard work have no borders and while many of Canada's personalities live outside our country, Canada is still their "home and native land".

In our last Newsletter we previewed some of the Cut Signature cards and now here are some of the stunning Base in the Canadiana project.

Here are some of the Autograph Cards in Canadiana.

And some cut autographs:

William John Potts, a professional wrestler best known by his ring name Whipper Billy Watson:

Raymond Burr, actor:

Yousuf Karsh, celebrated photographer:

Mary Pickford, actress:

Air Marshal William Avery “Billy” Bishop, WWI flying ace:

ITG has a some limited info on their site here:
http://www.itgtradingcards.com/canadiana/

And for those of you wondering about it, ITG has used a similar design with the oval for earlier hockey releases, and these are almost definitely sticker autos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: weasel-king,

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of really good autos already. . . I'll definitely be looking for some of these.

Anyone have any clue when this will be released?

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the previous email ITG sent me with the cut autos in it. It was from Dec 16th, and that was the first mention I have of this particular release.

Dr. Price, who runs the game over there, so to speak, is pretty good about getting release dates out when they have it nailed down.

On a side note, these sets are what I love about non-sports. I looked up Karsh on a whim. He has done some great photos, several of which I have seen and not realized who shot them.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one looks pretty cool. I hope theres a good number of new signers (off the top of my head, I honestly don't know which celebrities are Canadian*), plus the Alexander Graham Bell is awesome.

*Edit: After some quick googling- some signers I'd like to see (however improbable):
Cobie Smulders, Ellen Page, Jim Carrey, Kristin Kreuk, Mike Myers (r), Nathan Fillion (r), Ryan Reynolds (r), Sarah Chalke, Hugh Dillion, Enrico Colantoni, James Cameron (r).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Real Matt,

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
will it be on-card autographs?
i would like an Ellen Page also

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember this being advertised at the Toronto card show more than a year ago, and the poster showed cards from Wayne Gretzky, Avril Lavigne and many others. I too wonder what the final checklist will look like, and can't really remember any other names although I thought I had a picture of the poster somewhere... --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by damien:
will it be on-card autographs?

Probably not--as I mentioned above, the autos have a design similar to a hockey set called Heroes & Prospects, and the oval area is a sticker.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
chriqui Eek Drool

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cobie Smulders, Ellen Page

I'd be interested in getting these auto's.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
quote:
Cobie Smulders, Ellen Page

I'd be interested in getting these auto's.

Umm, double ditto.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was excited about this product a lot at first (not a fan of sticker autographs, but depending on the design, I don't mind)- but after wiki'ing some of the signers, I'm not so sure anymore. So far [most of] the ones I'd be interested in (Stratus, Shatner, Anderson) are all repeat signers and the others I've never heard of.

Posts: 33 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: May 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From ITG..

Some of the celebrities signed are:

Dave Thomas
Stompin’ Tom Connors
Karen Kain
Elvis Stoyko
William Shatner
Donald Sutherland
Gordon Pinsent
Trish Stratus
Pam Anderson
Kevin Zegers
To name a few.

Athletes include;
Steve Yzerman
Ferguson Jenkins
Terry Puhl
Paul Henderson
Phil Esposito
Dave Cutler
Donovan Bailey

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this is worth the thread bump, but release date for Canadiana Series 1 is May, 2011.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Real Matt:
Don't know if this is worth the thread bump, but release date for Canadiana Series 1 is May, 2011.

It sure was ! Thanks Smile

Woodstock Generation
UD Prominent Cuts
Classic Vintage Scifi/Horror

Posts: 12 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
July 1st Release Date (Canada Day?)
1 Autograph
1 Memorabilia per box
6 'Premium' base cards per box
expect $80-100 box price.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
1 Autograph
1 Memorabilia per box
6 'Premium' base cards per box (variants of normal base I think)

I thought this was a premium pack product, are there any 'normal base'?

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by otim:
quote:
1 Autograph
1 Memorabilia per box
6 'Premium' base cards per box (variants of normal base I think)

I thought this was a premium pack product, are there any 'normal base'?

otim

You're right, sorry. I had lost the order form originally and was trying to go from memory. I corrected my last post.
8 cards per "box" (1 Mem, 1 Auto, 6 Base)/10 boxes per case.

posted Hide Post
Anyone else forget that we are still waiting on this? I saw it advertised getting close to 2 years ago now. Deadlines people! --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
A major signer didn't send in their autographs. ITG didn't want to use redemptions so they delayed it (AGAIN) but they added another hit to each pack/box.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post