2016 Topps Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures Widevision

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/1277018486

December 14, 2016, 01:20 PM
Kevin F
2016 Topps Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures Widevision
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Now it's 50% off. I feel like a dope for not waiting, especially since it's an Xmas gift and I won't be opening it until 12/24. Frown
Naughty Topps have reduced the discount to 35% in the past few minutes. At 50% off I was seriously considering buying a couple of boxes but not now.
December 14, 2016, 02:13 PM
Kevin F
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Now it's 50% off. I feel like a dope for not waiting, especially since it's an Xmas gift and I won't be opening it until 12/24. Frown
Naughty Topps have reduced the discount to 35% in the past few minutes. At 50% off I was seriously considering buying a couple of boxes but not now.
...and then they changed it back again Twak Roll Eyes
December 15, 2016, 09:54 AM
Hedgehog Witch
It's still 50% off today.
The shipping to the UK is steep! Eek But the cost for two boxes is not much more than for one. So for half price boxes I've taken a punt on two...aware that Customs may hit me as well.
The trading card collector is hit from everywhere these days. Unless you have bottomless pockets, which I don't, then I have to pick and choose and not go for items from all the sets I'd normally be interested in and try to pick my favourites. Smile Makes the cards I do get more special in that way too.
December 15, 2016, 11:27 AM
barobehere
quote:
which I don't, then I have to pick and choose and not go for items from all the sets I'd normally be interested in and try to pick my favourites. Smile Makes the cards I do get more special in that way too.

I picked up a box of these at full price and am very, very happy with it. It is a great looking set. One of the more interesting to look at sets I have seen come out of Topps in a while (at least for me). They got great images for the widevision format. I think you will be pleased.
December 15, 2016, 11:48 AM
Hedgehog Witch
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

I picked up a box of these at full price and am very, very happy with it. It is a great looking set. One of the more interesting to look at sets I have seen come out of Topps in a while (at least for me). They got great images for the widevision format. I think you will be pleased.

Yeah, they sound great. David Tennant was my favourite Doctor of the rebooted series(Capaldi has worked his way into 2nd for me) so this set was always going to interest me. I think these will be my first widevision cards of any type too. From everything I've read here I'm looking forward to receiving them even more. Smile

Thanks again to everyone taking the time to comment and discuss the cards here. I wouldn't have known about a lot of cards if not for this place. Thumb Up
December 15, 2016, 12:25 PM
Jason00
I'm considering picking up another box to take a chance on the autograph cards and just selling the extra box/base set.

January 13, 2017, 02:30 PM
Logan
Topps is having a "2016 Closeout Sale" and these boxes are now $40.
January 13, 2017, 03:05 PM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

I'm feeling sorry for the people who paid $100 a box for this. Frown

January 13, 2017, 04:21 PM
Raven
I'm happy to see this because it means that TOPPS got stuck with so much product that it has to discount to move the inventory.

And that means that card collectors are finally getting smart and realizing that if they don't like the direction the market is heading, and they don't like the skip box format, and they don't like manufactured relics counted as premium hits, and they don't want to accept $100 a box as the new average benchmark, then they just don't buy it.

The irony is that the Dr. Who cards from TOPPS were all very well done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
January 13, 2017, 08:31 PM
chesspieceface
I don't know if there's any way around $100 a box anymore...

January 14, 2017, 06:55 PM
dcole
Since I did well (IMO - Georgia Moffett and Billie Piper) with my first box purchased @40% off, I decided to spring for a second box just now @60% off.

I wanted to pick up more autographs from this set anyhow so at this price it's a no-brainer. If all I pull are two "common" autos, that's still less than what the commons are going for right now on Ebay. And my niece loves Dr. Who so she will appreciate the extra base set in the Tardis box. Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.
January 15, 2017, 07:30 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by dcole:
Since I did well (IMO - Georgia Moffett and Billie Piper) with my first box purchased @40% off, I decided to spring for a second box just now @60% off.

I wanted to pick up more autographs from this set anyhow so at this price it's a no-brainer. If all I pull are two "common" autos, that's still less than what the commons are going for right now on Ebay. And my niece loves Dr. Who so she will appreciate the extra base set in the Tardis box. Smile

Just got 2 boxes at $40 - BARGAIN
January 15, 2017, 10:53 AM
Raj
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:

Thanks for pointing this out, Logan. I ordered more boxes, too.
January 15, 2017, 03:13 PM
Triple-Frog
I ordered three boxes. Still think the shipping is high but the boxes themselves are great value Smile .
January 15, 2017, 04:13 PM
sittin9duck
It's expensive for the first box then each extra box is reasonable for a box to the uk. I ordered a few boxes but with VAT and Royal Mail charge will still be just under £60 a box. How long have they been taking to arrive?
January 15, 2017, 04:14 PM
Raven
quote:
I wanted to pick up more autographs from this set anyhow so at this price it's a no-brainer. If all I pull are two "common" autos, that's still less than what the commons are going for right now on Ebay. Smile

I think you will find that the autographs from this set will go down now, at least they should. The supply reflected a price for a product that was limited because it was not selling. The price reduction will increase supply right away, plus many people are buying with the intention of selling off those common signatures and recouping the money. That alone with make for undercutting the current prices on most of the autograph cards.
January 16, 2017, 12:44 AM
dcole
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
I wanted to pick up more autographs from this set anyhow so at this price it's a no-brainer. If all I pull are two "common" autos, that's still less than what the commons are going for right now on Ebay. Smile

I think you will find that the autographs from this set will go down now, at least they should. The supply reflected a price for a product that was limited because it was not selling. The price reduction will increase supply right away, plus many people are buying with the intention of selling off those common signatures and recouping the money. That alone with make for undercutting the current prices on most of the autograph cards.

I think you are right, Raven, that the price on these autos will come down, although looking at Ebay just this minute, there seems to be a temporary spike in the price of listings/re-listings of the common cards. I'm seeing these cards listed now in the $30-$50 range, whereas just a few days ago, there were a slew of commons listed at $24.95 apiece. Possibly due to, as you say, flippers picking up multiple boxes now on sale in the hope of finding and selling a big one, all the while trying to recoup the cost of a single box with each auto. Doesn't matter to me, I can wait it out. Plus, as you say, now that more have sold, there will be more to choose from. And I want to wait anyhow to see what I pull from this second box that I just ordered, before buying anything else.

Last week I did pick up a John Barrowman/Capt. Jack card for what I considered a fair price. It was an unnumbered card which suits me fine, as I place absolutely NO premium on the #x/x cards with the different colored backgrounds. Like the listing for the #1/1 gold David Tennant card at a BIN price of $1500 Eek . Hahahahaha! Remove a zero from the end and I'll jump on it, otherwise noooo...

I do hope that some more Alex Kingston cards surface, as that's the other card that I really want. The one listed now is just too high (IMO) for a stickered auto, plus the signature is streaky and runs off the sticker. Just doesn't look good enough to warrant the $125 price tag, at least not to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dcole,

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.