Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Masterwork - Dec. 2014
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Masterwork - Dec. 2014
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about this set like an "investment" or to "rip & flip". The sports world has enough of short printed parallels that command crazy prices. I just don't think anything in this set is worth the high price.

Printing a card with a different type of foil and telling you it's worth more $$ is absurd. It certainly doesn't justify the high price point.

Part of the reason this hobby has been on a steady decline is too many people look at it as an investment. They only look at the aftermarket value.

Does anyone collect for fun anymore?

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Part of the reason this hobby has been on a steady decline is too many people look at it as an investment. They only look at the aftermarket value.

Does anyone collect for fun anymore?

Speculation has ruined pretty much everything from the comic market to cards and other collectables. Far too many people care more about the perceived dollar value of what they collect instead of just the pure enjoyment/entertainment value they can derive from it. It's a sad state of affairs.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My complaint is simply that I won't be able to get the 75 card base set, unless I pay $1,000. Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
My complaint is simply that I won't be able to get the 75 card base set, unless I pay $1,000. Frown

That's an exaggeration... Breakers will bust this and sets will be available. Won't be a $10 set to be sure. I would speculate more like $100 for a base set. I'd be surprised if it went for much more.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's going to take over a case just to get one complete set, most likely multiple cases. I can not see these going as low as $100. The really cheap ones will obviously go the soonest and then prices will increase. If imagine a couple hundred dollars at the least. Also, I found that people stopped collecting for "fun" when cases reached $1500+ presell. Prices have gone up since the good old days. The stakes are too high for most to be in it for the love of collecting otherwise we would all be broke. It means too much. Things like eBay, antique roadshow, pawn stars ect has changed the way we collect and value things..Nobody cares about the hobby, "I just wanna know how much I can get out of it!"

Posts: 5 | Location: midwest | Registered: September 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, you know, collectors have to draw the line somewhere, and that's fine, more than fine.

For instance, I've collected Star Wars cards since the first set in 1977. (I was 6 and ten cents was a lot of money to a 6 year old, let me tell you!). Anyway, since then, I've noticed a lot of internationally-released Star Wars card sets (by which I mean, non United States issues) that, while I would've like to gotten them all, I soon realized that aim would be precluded by cost/availability. I simply resigned myself to not being able to get those ones, and moved on to those I could, while continuing to enjoy those I had attained. I never needed any of those others to consider my own collection complete, or at least as complete as it was going to get.

If this set is too expensive for you, just let it go. It doesn't take away from what you already have, and you certainly won't be the only longtime Star Wars card collector who doesn't even have the base set from it. I really doubt I'll ever have one, and maybe it's sour grapes, but I already have lots of pictures of those characters anyway. Missing one batch of them won't kill me.

I'm going to try to get a box or two of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the box price doesn't go up to about $300 pretty much as soon as they are issued. I'd probably rather have something else with that much money.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Based on the scarcity of the base cards as well as the size of the set, I would think you are looking at a $250-$300 set. IF I get the case that I have on order (I have heard talk about allocations on this one), it stinks to know going in that I won't have a base set to make available to my customers.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a collector for the enjoyment of collecting, vary rarly do I sell anything. I just like knowing if I spent $100 for a box of cards there is some value there. I can't tell you the number of times I bought 4 boxes of Bond, Trek or GoT from RA and ended up with duplicate, low end autos. If this set commands upwards of $200 out the gate I don't mind if there is value. The price should not be predicated on the chance of pulling high end autos. Getting more and more like a lottery!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't see how a base set of 75 will go for $100-250 when you only get 8 base cards per box

I spoke to a dealer friend who orders ALL of the Star Wars cards in great quantity, and Topps already told him that they're allocating him to 8 boxes total

So 8 boxes x 8 base cards = 0 base sets

And he has a lot of customers, not just me !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I don't understand a lot of the negativity being thrown at this set. If you can't buy it, don't. I know I can't afford to break any, but it's not going to stop me from appreciating it.

Whilst I am no longer a completest collector, many are and whilst some sets are hard to complete, very hard to complete, or ridiculously hard to complete, this set takes the cake as far as Star Wars sets go. I don't believe every set should be easy to complete to be a good set and I agree with the 'buy what you can and enjoy it' ethos, but I also like balance. What is there in this set that is good that won't cost an arm and a leg?

People in the new Bond set thread are angry at the thought of a $50 base set of 100 odd cards for films that, for the most part, have not received proper trading card coverage in the past. Just the base set for Star Wars Masterwork looks like it will be VERY expensive, VERY hard to collate and, most importantly, will no doubt be a dressed up rehash of the images and content that has come before. What's the appeal at any price?

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
The pen "relics" are a head-scratcher, but I think the rest of it looks pretty cool and it's nice to see a top brand like Star Wars getting the super-premium treatment.

It was only a matter of time before this format hit Star Wars. UD has proven that such high end products can be supported with some of their recent Marvel sets, so why not go for it?

But that's just it, I'm not sure many are seeing much that looks that good. Manufactured metal cards and patches are not premium hits equivalent to autos/sketches(but rather fancy chase cards), I don't see how stamps would appeal that much, relics are cool (so long as they are screen used), the auto designs look absolutely HORRIBLE compared to what has come before and I don't think the chase or base cards look that impressive either, especially when you consider what they will go for on the secondary market.

Apart from the set being rare, what is so 'premium' about it the product itself?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Apart from the set being rare, what is so 'premium' about it the product itself?

Exactly what I asked, where is the wow factor?

But look, there has been a bit of an economic rebound and there is a lot of stupid money back in the market, not even from card collectors, but from speculators who don't necessarily care about the cards. They just want to flip for big profits.

But it is the card collectors who will ultimately be expected to buy the cards that the speculators are flipping. So if the cards are truly superior they should go for big bucks, but it they are not worth it, let the speculators keep them or lose money on the deal.

Often the very things that card collectors complain about are the things they contributed to before it all went too far. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
But guys... you could pull a PEN CARD!!! Wow! Just what I've always dreamed off, a bit of plastic that a celeb held for an hour housed in a card. How can you say no to that..?

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
you could pull a PEN CARD!!! Wow! Just what I've always dreamed off, a bit of plastic that a celeb held for an hour housed in a card.

Actually that sounds pretty cool...

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Another set impossible to complete.

Glad I don't collect anymore Star Wars boost on steroids :P

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in for a couple, missed some other SW releases and had regrets.

Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Topps is going to continue with it's Star Wars Galaxy line or give us another Galactic Files set?

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted Hide Post
My strategy is to hopefully buy a box hope for a nice hit and sell it to buy another box or go a long way to complete a set, so far it's hasn't been good as far as set building. Frown

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a good strategy, but I don't think these boxes will last long, even with the high price.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted Hide Post
Indeed, I missed out onf the exclusive ROTJ set from Topps went fast.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, and those already sell for well over the original $100 price (even those known to not hold an autograph card, that is, the boxes with numbers not divisible by 4.)