Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Dinosaur Galaxy hits Kickstarter (and gets funded first day)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinosaur Galaxy hits Kickstarter (and gets funded first day)
 Login/Join

Picture of monsterwax
posted
Monsterwax is using Kickstarter to help fund the new DINOSAUR GALAXY series and we passed our funding goal in less than 20 hours! It's probably the rewards that are driving it: The images are gorgeous and the extras for pledging are pretty neat, including exclusive promos and even custom drawn cards for two box patrons. (The 24 pack boxes are half the price of other similar products.)

Our stretch goal is to raise $5K to expand the set even more, which is already at 110 base cards. We have only 20 days to make it happen. Some of the rewards are limited to just three patrons, (make that two-- another one just pledged) so check it out soon if you like original art series and dramatic dinosaurs.

Here's the link:
Dinosaur Galaxy Kickstarter

Thanks for all your support and Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks good! Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RRParks CARDS
posted Hide Post
The series looks stunning ... and of course, as always, Kurt's publishing/trading card philosophy is JUST what the hobby needs right now. I pledged yesterday -- and I hope others also recognize that we all need to be supportive of a publisher like Kurt and Monsterwax and show our support with a pledge on kickstarter. In the meantime, has everyone got their box to open for OPEN THAT BOX DAY? For my own box to open I picked up Monsterwax's 'Spook Show'.

Posts: 87 | Location: Nevada | Registered: July 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I see Monsterwax is nearing 5K for this. Congratulations Kurt!! Good going.

We did a brief story on the project for the blog today:

Dinosaur Galaxy Kickstarter

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
This is one set I have really been looking forward to getting. The images we have seen so far are just amazing to look at and I can't wait to see the rest of the set.
I put my pledge in as soon as I saw it had begun. The pledge options are pretty cool too.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'm happy to report we've passed our $5K and $7.5K stretch goals. We're now down to our final week and have already passed $8,370.00.00. It has been very humbling to receive such support!

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
We are down to the final 4 days of the campaign and I'm very proud to announce the addition of world renowned paleoartist, Todd Marshall to our artist line-up. Todd has been a leading dinosaur artist for over 15 years, and well known for his breath-taking prehistoric masterpieces. (He is painting the Jurassic images for the series.) We would like to add even more cards to the series if we can reach our $10K stretch goal (currently just $1K away), so please share the Kickstarter link with any dinosaur fans to help make this goal a reality. Thanks to your help and support, this series keeps getting better and better!
Image copyrighted by artist, no unauthorized reproduction permitted.

posted Hide Post
Going to be a great set! Big Grin

Posts: 378 | Location: New Milford, CT | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Not to be the nitpicky scientist in the thread, but shouldn't these dinosaurs have feathers all over? Hasn't their featheriness been firmly established by now?

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monkeyafterdark:
Not to be the nitpicky scientist in the thread, but shouldn't these dinosaurs have feathers all over? Hasn't their featheriness been firmly established by now?

Some did have feathers and some just had feather like material. Some that had feathers didn't fly and some that flew didn't have feathers, but a hair like coating.

It all depends on which dinosaur breed you are talking about, but featheriness in general has not been claimed as far as I know. I will amend that as some sites seem to be suggesting the possibility, but it doesn't look as though it has been established anywhere yet.

In any event the cards look great and I would assume they are a lot more accurate than Jurassic World, which I hear is even sillier than the previous movies, if it's dinosaur facts that you are interested in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
The current consensus is that over 30 species of non-avian dinosaurs had feathers (especially the smaller ones), but perhaps all of them. And to what extent is certainly debated. Many artists (under the guidance of their paleontologist patrons) have added feathers to certain areas of dinosaurs. Here is one of Ricardo's images of a Utahraptor with a feathered spine and forehead.

And here's an article on the subject:
Dino Feathers

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
We are only a few pledges away from our $10,000 stretch goal. If reached, we'll be adding a "Forty Favorite" sketch card subset. This is a really cool collection of the best original sketch card images to grace this series, many of which are amazing. The sketch artists outdid themselves on this subject, and it's clear they love dinosaurs. Collectors should get about 20 of the 40 in every box! Help make this happen by "sharing the love" with your dino-loving friends. There's only three more days to do it!

Wunder-sketches by Jason Brower, Kourtis Babisu, Ingrid Hardy, and Clinton Yeager-- among others!

But that's not all: We just added Luis Rey to our base card line up. Luis is a true classic dino-illustrator, creating hundreds of iconic dinosaurs for most of his life. We feel very honored to get both him AND Todd Marshall to bring this series to life. (Talk about luck!) Welcome aboard Luis and Todd!

(Image copyrighted by artist. No unauthorized reproduction permitted.)

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Congatulations to Kurt and Monsterwax on reaching $10K in the Dinosaur Galaxy Kickstarter. That's terrific.

There's less then a day to go now in the Kickstarter campaign. We put up a short piece about the project today on the NSU blog:

Dig This Dinosaur Art

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harris, and thanks to all the NSU readers for their support. (The backer's list contains many names I recall from the Philly Show!)

FYI: to celebrate, we're offering 50 pairs of uncut sheets of the "40 Finest" original art cards that the Stretch Goal added to the series. Backers can add them on to their order for just $35 for one sheet (20 images of the 40 card series), or $55 for both sheets (all 40 images). Free shipping in the USA, too!

And to have some extra fun during our final hours, we're also offering three more of the Spinosaurus ($155) pledge and just two more of the Pteranodon ($550) pledge-- but with the "40 Finest" uncut sheets substituting the original uncut base card sheets (which are completely sold out).

Remember, backers can get these sheets as add-ons without having to change any of their prior pledges (just by adding the amount to their current pledge), but if they want to upgrade (and are lucky enough to get there while it lasts), they can upgrade with these two special pledge offers. (But they must have a pledge of some sort to get any add-on.)

Thank you all again. These artists have done a FANTASTIC job, and I personally appreciate your help in supporting them and their wonderful art.

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Only five more hours to go for the Dinosaur Galaxy Kickstarter, and thanks to your help, we've realized all our goals for this series. Even more, in fact, with the unexpected addition of the mega-cool art by Luis Rey and Todd Marshall to our large base card line-up. That, and the "Forty Finest" sketch card subset will add a little more time to the series, but not much. We're planning to start shipping next month. Thanks again for your support, and if you want any add-ons to your pledge (like the "Forty Finest" uncut sheet), just add the amount ($35 for half the series, or $55 for both sheets) to your current pledge and we'll sort out the rest when we email the reward surveys.

(Art copyrighted by Todd Marshall.)

P.S., Maybe I'll see some of you tomorrow at the theater watching Jurassic World. (I'll be in the front row, cheering for the dinosaurs!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: monsterwax,