Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond 50th Anniversary Series 1
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond 50th Anniversary Series 1
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:

I love Bond as well, but I think over saturation is really killing my enthusiasm for new sets.

I'm sure a lot of long time Star Wars and Star Trek collectors have similar feelings. One release a year is fine, but 2 and 3 annually is too much of a good thing.

I have never locked myself into any franchise. I buy autograph cards based on the signer rather than the set and my collection is unfocused, except that I like them. Its also a good way to save money, as the price of the same signature can vary greatly from one product to another.

I would suggest that you guys take a break from Bond and mix it up with new titles until you get your enthusiasm back. Smile

Yours is the best way to collect Raven, but, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, it is often hard for the 'collector' mindset to pick up bits and pieces.

I started from collecting EVERY SINGLE card for EVERY set for Bond, and when Inkworks had the licence this wasn't too much trouble, but you still had some challenging stuff to track down (Tomorrow Never Dies Instant Winner card for one!), then I remember when RA took over the licence and my dealer gave me the sell sheet...
We'd gone from 5 autos in Inkworks' Women of Bond Widevision and 6 autos in Inkworks' The World Is Not Enough to 23 autos for RA's 40th Anniversary set! It seems odd to think it now, but in 2002 an autograph list that long was insane to this Bond fan. Ambitious, awe-inspiring and very intimidating. Undeterred I plugged away at it, I thought "maybe I'll have them all one day" but I was never bothered about gaping holes in the collection - I enjoyed the challenge. But then something terrible happened! I pulled one of the rarest cards for the 40th run and found a dealer who I had a very good relationship with who made sure I got everything at good prices. Pretty soon it wasn't enough to just collect these autos, I wanted to keep the run complete given I had managed to thus far, I found come release time, I just bought everything in one go.

By this point I had already decided that with 40th style autos and WOB autos, full bleeds as nice as they are, just seemed like too much of a good thing so would not bother with them bar a select few. I also was not bothering with the costumes and props: just too much to keep up with and I didn't want them as much as the autos anyway.

In the last couple of months I have come to realise there is no longer a burning desire to have every auto and every chase card, I need to get more focused. I have inventoried my collection and have decided to keep all my Inkworks cards, as they make up my fondest collecting memories, plus two RA sets (out of about 10!). I'm going to only keep the autographs I want which will consist mainly of actors from the Brosnan era of films and plus some other randoms I like, plus the main Bond girls on the Women of Bond auto cards. Looking at the situation logically, the full-bleed style I had abandoned many years ago is the style I am now going to collect. If I'm only collecting cards I like I might as well go for the best looking ones eh!

My enthusiasm is still there, I've just decided to not water it down by buying things I don't really want.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm still going after every single card in every single set.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post
To me its not about owning the cards thats great, but its the thrill of the chase. Tracking down the hard to find cards is alot of the enjoyment I get out of nonsport cards be it bond or anything else. oh I do get enjoyment looking through my collection but not the same amount I get tracking them down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cardinalfan13,

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:

To me its not about owning the cards thats great, but its the thrill of the chase.

In that case having tracked them down why do you purchase them?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardinalfan13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by cardinalfan13:

To me its not about owning the cards thats great, but its the thrill of the chase.

In that case having tracked them down why do you purchase them?

oh I do get enjoyment looking through my collection but not the same amount I get tracking them down. And adding them to my collection I should have added.

Posts: 614 | Location: Missouri | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Yours is the best way to collect Raven, but, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, it is often hard for the 'collector' mindset to pick up bits and pieces.

In the last couple of months I have come to realise there is no longer a burning desire to have every auto and every chase card, I need to get more focused. I have inventoried my collection and have decided to keep all my Inkworks cards, as they make up my fondest collecting memories, plus two RA sets (out of about 10!). I'm going to only keep the autographs I want which will consist mainly of actors from the Brosnan era of films and plus some other randoms I like, plus the main Bond girls on the Women of Bond auto cards. Looking at the situation logically, the full-bleed style I had abandoned many years ago is the style I am now going to collect. If I'm only collecting cards I like I might as well go for the best looking ones eh!

My enthusiasm is still there, I've just decided to not water it down by buying things I don't really want.

I certainly appreciate your mindset and I'm not sure I would say that mine is the best way to collect at all. I know that when some collectors post pictures of the massive complete sets that they have compiled I am really impressed. I have only two master sets, totally by accident, but its because of economics not principal. Its very hard to find sets that don't contain at least a few ultra rare autographs or relics or incentives that are out of my reach. If I stopped everything else and funneled all my money into one title I could probably do it, but then I would have only one thing and I will be pining after collections that are less focused. The other man's grass is always greener you know. Wink

Anyway, please give careful consideration before you start selling off parts of your Bond collection that you already own. So much time and effort went into it. If it's to fund something else more important, that's fine. But if its because you are just tired of it right now, that is something you might regret afterwards. Once they are gone, they are gone.

I still have all my sports card autographs, even though I gave it up ten years ago. All are authentic, but most are uncertified, so its not like I would get a lot selling them. Why should someone else quickly pick up what I spent so much time on? Frown I think your Bond cards would have some lucky person jumping for joy too.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do. Smile

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I think my luck may be changing. I just bought 3 more 50th Anniversary boxes and pulled a Nadja Regin about 2 minutes ago. Now I've got two of them.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of damien
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:

I love Bond as well, but I think over saturation is really killing my enthusiasm for new sets.

I'm sure a lot of long time Star Wars and Star Trek collectors have similar feelings. One release a year is fine, but 2 and 3 annually is too much of a good thing.

I have never locked myself into any franchise. I buy autograph cards based on the signer rather than the set and my collection is unfocused, except that I like them. Its also a good way to save money, as the price of the same signature can vary greatly from one product to another.

I would suggest that you guys take a break from Bond and mix it up with new titles until you get your enthusiasm back. Smile

I started from collecting EVERY SINGLE card for EVERY set for Bond, and when Inkworks had the licence this wasn't too much trouble, but you still had some challenging stuff to track down (Tomorrow Never Dies Instant Winner card for one!), then I remember when RA took over the licence and my dealer gave me the sell sheet...
We'd gone from 5 autos in Inkworks' Women of Bond Widevision and 6 autos in Inkworks' The World Is Not Enough to 23 autos for RA's 40th Anniversary set! It seems odd to think it now, but in 2002 an autograph list that long was insane to this Bond fan. Ambitious, awe-inspiring and very intimidating. Undeterred I plugged away at it, I thought "maybe I'll have them all one day" but I was never bothered about gaping holes in the collection - I enjoyed the challenge. But then something terrible happened! I pulled one of the rarest cards for the 40th run and found a dealer who I had a very good relationship with who made sure I got everything at good prices. Pretty soon it wasn't enough to just collect these autos, I wanted to keep the run complete given I had managed to thus far, I found come release time, I just bought everything in one go.

By this point I had already decided that with 40th style autos and WOB autos, full bleeds as nice as they are, just seemed like too much of a good thing so would not bother with them bar a select few. I also was not bothering with the costumes and props: just too much to keep up with and I didn't want them as much as the autos anyway.

there are always things I like and things I don't about every Bond release
but even with some cards i don't like this time (the gold movie cards)
I like this release way more than the previous one

Posts: 1450 | Location: montreal,canada | Registered: September 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of THX2112
posted Hide Post
I agree with X. Less...is...more!!! Two of the best Bond sets RA have released are DAD and WoB. Those sets were small (Off the top of my head I think DAD had 8 autos...) and very well done.

I really like Daniel Craig as Bond. Even though I grew up with Moore and enjoyed Brosnan, I think Craig was a fantastic selection. That said, I'd love to see a "Craig only" set or one set based on his three movies to date.

I've purchased cases for the past five releases. This release, to me, warranted only a box. Unfortunately I'm pleased with my decision. Bond is all I collect since Topps screwed the pooch with Star Wars some years ago with their Evolution Update release. I LOVE Game of Thrones, but can't justify collecting another license that may or may not be around for the long haul.

I totally get the 50th Anniversary. I don't really get Series 1 and Series 2. If Series 2 is a lot like Series 1 it may just turn me off all together.

Posts: 139 | Location: Noblesville, IN | Registered: May 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
But they HAVE to do Series 2 to fill in all those even numbered card gaps in my binder!

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
But they HAVE to do Series 2 to fill in all those even numbered card gaps in my binder!

No they don't. It would not be the first time that a split set came out and then the other half was not produced.

Having said that i'm 99.9999% that it will.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by THX2112:
I agree with X. Less...is...more!!! Two of the best Bond sets RA have released are DAD and WoB. Those sets were small (Off the top of my head I think DAD had 8 autos...) and very well done.

I really like Daniel Craig as Bond. Even though I grew up with Moore and enjoyed Brosnan, I think Craig was a fantastic selection. That said, I'd love to see a "Craig only" set or one set based on his three movies to date.

I've purchased cases for the past five releases. This release, to me, warranted only a box. Unfortunately I'm pleased with my decision. Bond is all I collect since Topps screwed the pooch with Star Wars some years ago with their Evolution Update release. I LOVE Game of Thrones, but can't justify collecting another license that may or may not be around for the long haul.

I totally get the 50th Anniversary. I don't really get Series 1 and Series 2. If Series 2 is a lot like Series 1 it may just turn me off all together.

It's an interesting discussion going on here, and as I recall, even as early as when the checklist was published, I mentioned that I too was a bit underwhelmed by what I saw.

Like THX2112, I'm with "X" on this one. I used to collect absolutely every Bond card back in the day when the higher-end inserts were just 40th Ann and WOB autographs. As and when full-bleed autographs and then costume/prop cards started coming out, I began to focus solely on what I wanted, i.e. the 40th and WOB autos, and have been doing so ever since. That being said, I've almost given up collecting the base and chase sets too, as there are only so many retrospective cards sets I can really get excited about. The latest base set really didn't do it for me, so I'm probably going to pass on it and just focus on the autograph cards and perhaps some of the chase cards.

I can't understand why I didn't really get excited about the list of autos this time round. There are some excellent names, a lot of which are on 40th style cards which I've been awaiting for quite some time. Perhaps, it's the fact that I've been waiting for them for so long. Having been released in other formats I knew they were coming, it was just a matter of waiting for the release. I think with Bond 50th Series 1, there was not great "surprise" factor, no major revelation, no huge star who hadn't signed before, just a wholly predicatable card set.

Posts: 240 | Location: London, England | Registered: December 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
well 28 fullbleed (minus the disappointed no pic nancy sinatra + 3 repeat signers) you couldn t really go wrong,this autograph collection is now starting to look really good.
the gold gallery of bond girls was one of my favourite insert cards ever,and with the missing domino,tiffany case etc,means theres more to come,the retro dr no set was a nice bonus,but as usual (and i always have to have something to moan about) the base set failed for me,i saw the promo card images and assumed the base were going to be full movie card images,and was looking forward to savouring every one,but of course they were not the full image cards i was sadly expecting,but another gimmick style.does anybody like these small photo/big border cards ? really ? they are always a disappointment to me and don't even bother to look at them,just flip past them looking for the hits,and there's more of them to come,that means if rittenhouse had produced full photos,there would have been 9 from each movie,how neat would that have been ? never mind,maybe next year Mad

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
well 28 fullbleed (minus the disappointed no pic nancy sinatra + 3 repeat signers) you couldn t really go wrong,this autograph collection is now starting to look really good.
the gold gallery of bond girls was one of my favourite insert cards ever,and with the missing domino,tiffany case etc,means theres more to come,the retro dr no set was a nice bonus,but as usual (and i always have to have something to moan about) the base set failed for me,i saw the promo card images and assumed the base were going to be full movie card images,and was looking forward to savouring every one,but of course they were not the full image cards i was sadly expecting,but another gimmick style.does anybody like these small photo/big border cards ? really ? they are always a disappointment to me and don't even bother to look at them,just flip past them looking for the hits,and there's more of them to come,that means if rittenhouse had produced full photos,there would have been 9 from each movie,how neat would that have been ? never mind,maybe next year Mad

Personally, I find non-full bleed fronts to be annoying. It's VERY gimmicky to have multiple photos on the front. I realize in some cases, RA (and others) have had to do this style with certain properties because you just weren't going to get a large enough base set to have full-bleed front pics (see: Lost in Space).

As for this 50th Bond set - I was very disappointed to see the base cards (so far, only on auction sites). I've heard good and bad for the base set and chase. Overall, it's probably a C+ effort which is disappointing for such a landmark series and anniversary. (NB: this is only perusing auctions with photos - I don't have any of these cards in hand yet). With that said, I've tempered my disappoint over the tiny pic/huge gold border base set by saying that for a 50th Anniversary set, the style sorta suits the occasion. That is, for an every day Bond set, this 50th style would be horrible, but for a set commemorating the 50th it's not bad (it makes more sense in my head - trust me Smile).

While I'm ragging on this set, I have to say the two promo cards were a HUGE disappointment. In what way did those two women convey "50th Annviersary" set?? This isn't 50 Years of Bond Women (hey, wait a minute - did I just give RA a freebie set idea?? Smile If I did - go for it RA - I won't ask for royalties!! Smile). The promo cards should have centered around Bond - maybe various images of Connery in Dr No? I know for the 40th they did that all Bond promo set - while I wouldn't want a complete re-tread of that, I really think the promos should have focused on Bond and not these two women. Maybe they could have had multi-photos on the front? Since the promos didn't match the base set anyway (and why is that???), why not do the multi-photo front?

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post