Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars: Card Trader
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars: Card Trader
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Topps has released an app to collect digital Star Wars trading cards. Now you can collect all the cards you've collected in physical form in digital form, if you choose to, of course. Or you can collect the new digital only cards found in the app. Right now, the app is iOS only. Read more about it at the Mashable link below. What does everyone think?

Mashable - The vintage (but digital) Star Wars trading cards you've been looking for

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Addicting. But I've refrained from spending any money yet.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
I removed my duplicate post.

So far its pretty cool and I spent all the free coins I received.

I couldnt figure out how to trade only 1 card when I have a duplicate.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see people selling these cards on ebay

So they are not physical cards, just images ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Packrat
posted Hide Post
David,
They are just digital cards. I have been playing the Topps Bunt (baseball) and Huddle (football) versions for the past month. People have been putting the digital cards up on eBay and they have been selling for some serious money, all for a digital version. There is no physical card to collect. No idea why anyone would want to spend that amount of coin, but if I pull anything good, it's going to eBay so I can use the funds for some real cards! Wink

Big Grin
Jason

Posts: 25 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Ain't nothing like the real thing, for sure, but the interest is so high for any new info or images from the forthcoming film, some folks might get the app just on the chance of some of that. We downloaded it, but haven't used it yet.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Packrat:
David,
They are just digital cards. I have been playing the Topps Bunt (baseball) and Huddle (football) versions for the past month. People have been putting the digital cards up on eBay and they have been selling for some serious money, all for a digital version. There is no physical card to collect. No idea why anyone would want to spend that amount of coin, but if I pull anything good, it's going to eBay so I can use the funds for some real cards! Wink

Big Grin
Jason

Well I'm still trying to figure out the whole bitcoin thing. Digital currency made by no one, coming from no where, but collected, saved, used to buy and sell real things like it was legal tender. I mean, who could make this stuff up. Roll Eyes

Digital cards don't sound so bad now! Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been having fun with this. Smile

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I am kind of happy that it is ios-only, as I have an android.

Although I see they have plans to bring it to Android. I will try to tell myself "I must stick to real cards only"!

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
I'm having fun with this. Lots and lots of different Character Cards that are fun to get and look at. Don't think I will be spending any real money as of yet, but you get a lot of coins for free so you can try it for fun with no strings attached.

Not sure if this is the future of trading cards It seems to easy for it to simply stop working or just go away - Remember Webkins and other on-line toys / games that were huge for a while and now are a afterthought.

TOPPS ID: AVERAGE_ANDY if anybody wants to trade.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
Afraid I am real cards only, spending money on Digital cards looses the fun of owning a real item. It would be like throwing money away, well more money than I already do Big Grin The images of the cards I have seen so far look great but would be much better on an actual piece of cardboard. Would love to see physical vintage style TFA cards for the movie release.

I suppose one could liken it too music or film downloads in that you do not have a physical item but defeats the object of card collecting for me. Topps gives the impression this will be a big part of, perhaps wholly, the future of it's card production strategy looking at the marketing hype it is giving this app.

I do not own an IoS device so would only download if I could get it for the PC or my tablet. I would however refrain from actually purchasing cards above the free credit and pack allocations in app. Money would still be spent entirely on real cards.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is basically a video game, and you "win" by collecting them all. I haven't spent a cent on it, and never will, but I'm having a blast hunting cards down and making trades.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started today. I haven't spent any money either, but have watched what seems like 1000 videos. I have no clue how to try to trade yet or figure out what duplicates I have to trade, but my progress says I have 33% of the cards. Like I need to get addicted to something else. Once I figure out how to trade I believe this will encompass a lot more of my time, and I don't even collect Star Wars cards.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
Since they're not even real cards, it does feel somewhat stupid. But it's fun nevertheless.
My only annoyance about it is that digital packs seem to have worse collation than real ones. Almost every pack I opened had duplicates in that same pack.

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
I pulled a Limited to 50 Darth Maul insert and traded it for 9 different insert cards limited from 2000 to 200.

I'll take 9 cards to one any day!

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post