Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The Most Important Horror Trading Cards?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
The Most Important Horror Trading Cards?
 Login/Join
 
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Please be advised that the Mars Attacks cards issued in the UK in the 1960's was a smaller card than that issued in the US and of course was printed in England as stated on the back.
John


Did not know that, maybe that's news to a lot of us over here. Smile Personally I didn't realize that there was an international printing that differed from cards I may have seen.

I was only speaking of the stories that were around late 80's, early 90's, at those shows that mainly had sports cards, but a smattering of non-sport too. At that point Mars Attacks were already vintage cards and, for the time, could be asking good money. I didn't have enough interest to want them beyond the #1. Story of my life. Big Grin
 
Posts: 7123 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
Do you collect Mars Attacks, Bill?

Not actively. I got a nice condition set about 25 years ago, and that's enough for me.
 
Posts: 1279 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Also, I'm pretty sure there was never an official Nightmare on Elm Street card set, but there were some featured in the Fright Flicks series.

In addition to the Impel coffin set (which had a few promos, if I recall) and the few cards in Fright Flicks, there was also a Comic Images sticker set in 1984.
 
Posts: 1279 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

In addition to the Impel coffin set (which had a few promos, if I recall) and the few cards in Fright Flicks, there was also a Comic Images sticker set in 1984.

I collected the stickers back then. I didn't know about the Impel set!
 
Posts: 1286 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Impel also had a deluxe Boiler Room set. I remember seeing it at the Video Giant (like a blockbuster) and wanting to get it. I never did and then it was gone. Childhood regret!
 
Posts: 5525 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
Great discussion, gentlemen! Thanks for your thoughts!

1--It may be the case that Mars Attacks wasn't "banned" and just very controversial or poorly received. I am not the only one who refers to a ban but I've heard that it was for so long that I have just come to accept it as fact. Maybe it's not. Haven't been able to find anything conclusive one way or the other.

https://waroftheworlds.fandom....opps%27_Mars_Attacks

2--Topps' 1989 Nightmare on Elm Street cards were indeed part of the Fright Flicks set, not actually a dedicated set. My apologies on this detail. Would there be a better Topps or other manufacturer set to cite along with Jaws and Gremlins?


Yes on Gremlins no on Jaws. Topps didn't wake up until Jaws 2 and 3 (with 3D cards and glasses)

One of the biggest crimes of the non sport world is that no official Jaws set was ever produced.

Alien could be a good one to cite with them.
 
Posts: 3007 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
Great discussion, gentlemen! Thanks for your thoughts!

1--It may be the case that Mars Attacks wasn't "banned" and just very controversial or poorly received. I am not the only one who refers to a ban but I've heard that it was for so long that I have just come to accept it as fact. Maybe it's not. Haven't been able to find anything conclusive one way or the other.

https://waroftheworlds.fandom....opps%27_Mars_Attacks

2--Topps' 1989 Nightmare on Elm Street cards were indeed part of the Fright Flicks set, not actually a dedicated set. My apologies on this detail. Would there be a better Topps or other manufacturer set to cite along with Jaws and Gremlins?


Yes on Gremlins no on Jaws. Topps didn't wake up until Jaws 2 and 3 (with 3D cards and glasses)

One of the biggest crimes of the non sport world is that no official Jaws set was ever produced.

Alien could be a good one to cite with them.


Perfect, thank you for the feedback! I will be making the corrections shortly.

____________________
Caretaker of the World's Largest Night of the Living Dead Trading Card Collection! (nearly 600 unique cards!)
 
Posts: 65 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Martyr:
Do you collect Mars Attacks, Bill?

Not actively. I got a nice condition set about 25 years ago, and that's enough for me.


That would be enough for me too! The complete original set seems to be out of my budget at current. Well, actually, I would be willing to pay a ridiculous price for it, but I don't like to buy expensive things that I'm unsure as to if they'll at least hold value or not and this has stopped me from pursuing Mars Attacks. Fantastic cards though, much respect to you for snatching up a set when they were probably much more affordable!

____________________
Caretaker of the World's Largest Night of the Living Dead Trading Card Collection! (nearly 600 unique cards!)
 
Posts: 65 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The Most Important Horror Trading Cards?

© Non-Sport Update 2013