Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Game of Thrones Season 7 (Rittenhouse)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Season 7 (Rittenhouse)
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Set for their usual April-ish release?

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Set for their usual April-ish release?

Perhaps, but not April of this 2018 year, and its really going to be Season 8, even it remains to be called 7.

I said the producers wouldn't do this, but they did and I was wrong. Not only did they drag out Season 7 with a split schedule, but it has been recently announced that the last remaining episodes will not air until some time in 2019. The reason is that the production is so awesome, they must take their time to make those final 8 - 10 hours.

By the way, there are also 5 possible sequels/prequels/offshoot series ideas in discussion.

Fat chance! As much as I have enjoyed GoT at times, I am not going to get sucked into another show, or even another related card title. By the time GoT comes back I will have to re-watch it if I want to remember where we left off. What is entertaining about sitting around waiting for something you are interested in. I am all for production values, but I don't believe that's it.

I think sometimes things take too long because they can take too long and everybody still gets paid. The finish product is not any better than what could have been in a third of the time. So this crawl to the finish of GoT has really irked me and my only recourse is to swear off watching any of their new shows, because it's too late not to see the end of this one, eventually. Rant over. Big Grin

Posts: 10397 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think ravenheart was asking about the card set not the TV season, which is tentatively scheduled for May per Steve on RA’s website.

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ctacker:
I think ravenheart was asking about the card set not the TV season, which is tentatively scheduled for May per Steve on RA’s website.

Now that I re-read, you're right. Sorry about that. Guess I was just seeing red over the news. Big Grin

The cards are scheduled for April/May. The NSU preview says "many first time signers, and more high-end cards". It also mentions "expansions from Valyrian Steel and more". I'm thinking this refers to a second 2018 release again, as Valyrian was in 2017, but who knows?

Now what happens with the cards next year in April when the last episodes may be still airing is unknown. RA can't have a Season 8 release until its finished, so that puts it at late 2019 or even early 2020.

I have collected these GoT cards since Season 1 and the great thing about the title was that, unlike many others, we got one set per year and I could manage the autographs. This drag to the finish for the show also means a drag to the finish for the cards. If RA intends to keep producing GoT at 2 sets per year with no new episodes in 2018, even the star signatures will be repeated to death.

I don't know if RA will do that, just speculating on what is written and what happened last year. At this point I have to see what new autographs are produced, what high-end products will cost, and if I can still keep my GoT cards reasonably up-to-date with what comes out this year.

Posts: 10397 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
The Valyrian Steel set wasn't concentrated on a season, whereas Season 7 cards will be like the previous sets and have a base set that tells the story of the season and characters. I see no reason why that's confusing or needs to change.
After all, other sets have had secondary sets like "Heroes & Villains" and other scraping the bottom of the barrel sets.
I have some Buffy Season Sets but also some of the lesser titles like "Women of Sunnydale" or "Memories". They're easy to separate from each other.

Hey Raven, I see you're going round and round on the usual whining about why the show is when it is. You can get off that unicycle any time you like. Wink Big Grin I'm not bothering to even air the plainly obvious as I don't want to get dizzy. So I won't waste any more breath on that issue. Wave

I consider the Season sets as the 'proper' sets and Valyrian Steel type ones as the overkill sets. Although, that set did have some nice blasts from the past and some great duals. But apart from the autographs I thought that set was mostly 'meh'. Razz
I have patience so I'll be interested in what will be on offer for the 'usual' S7 set. These days I go in with low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Hey Raven, I see you're going round and round on the usual whining about why the show is when it is. You can get off that unicycle any time you like. Wink Big Grin I'm not bothering to even air the plainly obvious as I don't want to get dizzy. So I won't waste any more breath on that issue. Wave Big Grin

Sometimes I like to whine, cue in the violins. Big Grin

And I certainly don't want to make you dizzy chasing my unicycle, but saying that other titles have put out unnecessary, scrapping the bottom of the barrel sets really doesn't make it any better, does it? Wink

But I agree with you, it is what it is. Now what do we talk about? Big Grin Wavey

posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to those rather interesting idea for cards they did for Season 1? I want to say "shadow box"?
They were really thick cards and very unusual...kind of looking through a window. I think it was a set of about 6.(I have them just not to hand to look at them) I suppose they might have been too expensive to make?

Edited to add... It would have been interesting to really use the scope of that design, say: looking from a window of the Red Keep. Or from Dragonstone. My imagination is running a little...but there was a lot of ideas they could have done with that. Better than more parallels anyway. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Whatever happened to those rather interesting idea for cards they did for Season 1? I want to say "shadow box"?
They were really thick cards and very unusual...kind of looking through a window. I think it was a set of about 6.(I have them just not to hand to look at them) I suppose they might have been too expensive to make?

Edited to add... It would have been interesting to really use the scope of that design, say: looking from a window of the Red Keep. Or from Dragonstone. My imagination is running a little...but there was a lot of ideas they could have done with that. Better than more parallels anyway. Big Grin

Shadow box is the correct term. RA did some nice Laser cut cards for the steel set so I would like to some of these plus some lenticular cards would be nice

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't too fussed with the laser cut cards...too much like a paper doily. Big Grin I did like the lenticular ones though. Either way both those chase sets had something different about them than the lazy parallels.

Had RA done shadow box cards for any other title? Or was that a one-off for GoT?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like RA did Shadow Box cards on James Bond, True Blood, and at least 2 Marvel sets.

Posts: 4715 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Looks like RA did Shadow Box cards on James Bond, True Blood, and at least 2 Marvel sets.

Thumb Up
Not many sets, then. Anyway, I doubt it would happen, but it would be nice to have another set with the wealth of imagery they could use for them now.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

For Star Trek also. I've seen them for Scott, Uhura and McCoy. Don't ask me from which set, I can't keep them straight. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
They did a really nice shadowbox card for Spartacus as well.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Release date is May 9th. Product page is now up on the RA site...

https://scifihobby.com/product...hrones/season_seven/

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks cool! 20 new signers is awesome!

Posts: 5413 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really pleased to see cards from Jim Broadbent, Paul Kaye, Richard Dormer, Mark Gatiss and Joseph Mawle. To be honest, I'm really pleased with all the new signers. A Valyrian Steel style Rory McCann auto is also welcome. Thumb Up

posted Hide Post
Love all the new signers. What, no Ed Sheeran? Wink

But am I right that the SRP is starting out much higher for a season set? $99/box vs. $84 for season 6 currently on RA's site.

Posts: 67 | Location: TX | Registered: April 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
RA list has 29 cards, with 22 new signers, so far. You can expect another 30, give or take a few. I don't know may of the new actors by name besides Broadbent and McInnerny. Joe Dempsie as Gendry was overdo. Most of the rest are getting too close to spear chuckers to me, but some feel there are no small parts in these shows.

One thing I never mentioned, but always wanted to about the Game of Thrones series. It's not just the character names that can't be spelled out, but its also most of the actor's names. Try copying these names on a spreadsheet and all you do is go back and forth trying to spell them right. The character names are of course all made up for fantasy lands, but quite a lot of these actors must also come from far flung countries. What is a Nell Tiger Free, Staz Nair, Pilou Asbaek, Wilf Scolding or a Aisling Franciosi? Big Grin

And that's just in this batch. There have been many oddly named actors sprinkled throughout the GoT seasons and you can just forget about the unpronounceable character names. Wink

And yeah the price has gone up, but you shouldn't be paying full SRP.

posted Hide Post
I think actors go for strange names to stand out. But a lot of the actors in GoT are from a range of countries, and I'm sure in their country of origin their names are easy to say. I still struggle with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Big Grin

I do know that Aisling is usually pronounced "ash-ling" and means 'dream' in Irish. As she was born in Italy I guess her last name is Italian. Wink That actress played a big part in all three seasons of the TV series The Fall, with Gillian Anderson, set in Belfast.

As to Nell Tiger Free. Sounds more like a charity helping tigers. Big Grin Ooo what's the odds that Nell will have a wiggly line as an autograph? Wink Maybe a paw print?! Big Grin

I'm suspecting the price increase is due to some of those crappy metal cards they're still trying to offload on to us as inserts. Perhaps they can be melted down to make our own Hand of The King/Queen pin badge?! Wink Big Grin
OR like everything else going up in price these days, RA didn't want to be left out of the general price hikes.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Still no Liam Cunningham...ugh.

Posts: 526 | Location: nj | Registered: April 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post