Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
CZX Crisis On Infinite Earths (Cryptozoic)

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/955604453/m/1147036796

December 10, 2021, 03:25 PM
ravenheart
CZX Crisis On Infinite Earths (Cryptozoic)
As they just minutes ago confirmed the somewhat ridiculous release date of January 5th for this, may as well start a thread for it.

For those who don't know, this is a DC Arrowverse thing, so if you weren't interested in their Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl sets, you won't care about this either.

https://cryptozoic.com/product...s-on-infinite-earths

It's a premium set, six-pack boxes, containing one autograph, one sketch, one wardrobe card, one of their silly STR PWR chase cards, one base set parallel card, and presumably the rest is base cards (of which there are 50).
December 10, 2021, 03:59 PM
Triple-Frog
I love the shows but am extremely dubious about the viability of a super premium card set for low rated TV shows , half of which are no longer being made and the episodes being covered were shown two years ago !

It's not like there are any massive stars either like there was with the similar release for the DC movies . At least there was a chance with that set of a big hit like Gal Gadot .
December 10, 2021, 04:02 PM
Kandor Archives
Looking forward to the Tyler Hoechlin and Brandon Routh cards!
December 10, 2021, 06:33 PM
ravenheart
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I love the shows but am extremely dubious about the viability of a super premium card set for low rated TV shows , half of which are no longer being made and the episodes being covered were shown two years ago !

It's not like there are any massive stars either like there was with the similar release for the DC movies . At least there was a chance with that set of a big hit like Gal Gadot .


I don't think it's entirely fair to call a group of shows with a combined range of 37 seasons (not even counting the few made by other networks) and counting "low rated". After all, if that were true, they'd have all been cancelled years ago.

As for stars, it depends who they get. After all, they don't need to have "stars" that are relevant outside of these shows. All they needs to do is get the stars of this. Those, as they have proven in previous sets, attract the big bucks with no problem at all. Unless they haven't got any of them to sign again. In which case they're screwed.

But yes, they have taken far too long to do this. Even fans of the shows have moved on from that cross-over. And it wasn't even that good.
December 10, 2021, 11:27 PM
Raven
You wait this long, just to rush it out 2 weeks after Christmas with no warning. Does anybody still left in Cryptozoic's card division know anything about card collectors? Roll Eyes
December 11, 2021, 07:00 AM
Triple-Frog
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I love the shows but am extremely dubious about the viability of a super premium card set for low rated TV shows , half of which are no longer being made and the episodes being covered were shown two years ago !

It's not like there are any massive stars either like there was with the similar release for the DC movies . At least there was a chance with that set of a big hit like Gal Gadot .


I don't think it's entirely fair to call a group of shows with a combined range of 37 seasons (not even counting the few made by other networks) and counting "low rated". After all, if that were true, they'd have all been cancelled years ago.

As for stars, it depends who they get. After all, they don't need to have "stars" that are relevant outside of these shows. All they needs to do is get the stars of this. Those, as they have proven in previous sets, attract the big bucks with no problem at all. Unless they haven't got any of them to sign again. In which case they're screwed.

But yes, they have taken far too long to do this. Even fans of the shows have moved on from that cross-over. And it wasn't even that good.


I was really talking about the " stars " aspect because of the expected retail price which is supposedly similar to the DC movies release . Sure Grant Gustin , Melissa Benoist , and Stephen Amell will fetch decent prices but not " movie star " prices .

Regarding the low ratings I am just going by the figures released every week . The CW routinely renews shows that would be cancelled after one season on any of the big four networks because of low ratings .

I actually enjoyed the cross over event even though here in the UK the Batwoman episode aired about six months after the others Roll Eyes because it was on a different network Shake Head .

The one thing that might help this set is the continuing trend of sports collectors coming into non sports ( mainly for profit sadly Frown ) . This is the sort of high end set they are more used to .
December 18, 2021, 10:14 AM
mykdude
Autographs Signers Checklist


Brandon Routh as Superman/The Atom/Ray Palmer
Caity Lotz as Black Canary/White Canary/Sara Lance
Danielle Panabaker as Killer Frost/Caitlin Snow
Erica Durrance as Alura Zor-El/Lois Lane
Grant Gustin as Flash/Barry Allen
Jes Macallan as Ava Sharpe
Jesse Rath as Brainiac 5/Querl Dox
Katherine McNamara as Mia Smoak
Katie Cassidy as Black Canary/Laurel Lance
Marv Wolfman as Author
Mehcad Brooks as The Guardian/James Olsen
Melissa Benoist as Supergirl/Kara Danvers
Nicole Maines as Dreamer/Nia Nal
Osric Chau as Ryan Choi
Rick Gonzalez as Wild Dog/Rene Ramirez
Robert Wuhl as Alexander Knox
Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow
Stephen Lobo as Spectre/Jim Corrigan
Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells/Pariah/Reverse Flash
Tom Welling as Clark Kent
December 18, 2021, 10:57 AM
Raven
Is that a good enough checklist? I only know of 7 signers (Welling, Arnell, Benoist, Cassidy, Gustin, Durrance and Routh) that might have value based on past cards, but I didn't watch these shows.
December 18, 2021, 11:14 AM
Batman
I would say it is not bad, they got all the stars to sign, and Tom Welling has never signed for any card set, so that will be popular as well. Keep in mind that there will also be sketches in each box, and word has it that they are all high quality so odds are box breaks will be decent. Buyers should have a decent chance of getting some nice pulls, but of course there will be some disappoints as well but that’s true with any set.

____________________
"The problem, I'm told, is more than medical."
December 18, 2021, 07:19 PM
Raj
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Autographs Signers Checklist


Brandon Routh as Superman/The Atom/Ray Palmer
Caity Lotz as Black Canary/White Canary/Sara Lance
Danielle Panabaker as Killer Frost/Caitlin Snow
Erica Durrance as Alura Zor-El/Lois Lane
Grant Gustin as Flash/Barry Allen
Jes Macallan as Ava Sharpe
Jesse Rath as Brainiac 5/Querl Dox
Katherine McNamara as Mia Smoak
Katie Cassidy as Black Canary/Laurel Lance
Marv Wolfman as Author
Mehcad Brooks as The Guardian/James Olsen
Melissa Benoist as Supergirl/Kara Danvers
Nicole Maines as Dreamer/Nia Nal
Osric Chau as Ryan Choi
Rick Gonzalez as Wild Dog/Rene Ramirez
Robert Wuhl as Alexander Knox
Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow
Stephen Lobo as Spectre/Jim Corrigan
Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells/Pariah/Reverse Flash
Tom Welling as Clark Kent


And more!
December 18, 2021, 11:15 PM
Bob Johnson
The checklist looks solid but a lot depends on the price. There's a discussion over at Blowout with people saying there's limited distribution and potentially inflated presale prices.
December 19, 2021, 12:47 AM
Raven
I rarely find a straight answer on Blowout and that Crisis discussion is no exception. On page 1 everybody says its stale and cheesy and who wants it. By the last page it says most of it is shipping to China and it will come out at $400 a box because of gouging retailers. Talk about doing 180s and it's the same people. There is so much hype over there, you never know what to believe. Roll Eyes
December 19, 2021, 09:25 AM
Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
They’re going to be expensive regardless, because they cost a truckload as a seller to order…I really hope they’re SUPER loaded boxes….

____________________
Anne Welles - "You've got to climb Mount Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls."

January 01, 2022, 05:12 PM
Bob Johnson
Dave & Adam's Card World is preselling boxes for $329.95:

https://www.dacardworld.com/en...-box-cryptozoic-2019

According to the Blowout thread mentioned earlier, most distributers priced boxes around $215.
January 01, 2022, 10:01 PM
CordeliaChase_Fan
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Is that a good enough checklist? I only know of 7 signers (Welling, Arnell, Benoist, Cassidy, Gustin, Durrance and Routh) that might have value based on past cards, but I didn't watch these shows.


I think McNamara/MacAllan/Maines/Lotz will all be popular as well- the first three have never signed for any sets before and Lotz was always a popular signature in the past- any main/prominent guest star female cards for the CW sets usually do well.

Val

____________________
"what's that sound, it'll turn you around, it's a Doll Revolution..."- The Bangles, after Elvis Costello
January 02, 2022, 01:11 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:
Dave & Adam's Card World is preselling boxes for $329.95:

https://www.dacardworld.com/en...-box-cryptozoic-2019

According to the Blowout thread mentioned earlier, most distributers priced boxes around $215.


Yeah, but there are questions about allocation, so if they don't want to honor that price, it's easy to say the order has to be cancelled because they got cut and what can you do? Funny that $215 a box gets to be deemed a bargain these days. It wasn't so long ago that non-sport card collectors would have been fainting. Big Grin
January 05, 2022, 04:27 PM
Tommy C
I remember in the 1990s when the standard box was $ 40 to 60, and when stuff like Marvel Masterpieces 96, Disney Premium, and the Marvel Flair sets came out for $ 85 and up, that was considered to be outrageous.



quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Johnson:
Dave & Adam's Card World is preselling boxes for $329.95:

https://www.dacardworld.com/en...-box-cryptozoic-2019

According to the Blowout thread mentioned earlier, most distributers priced boxes around $215.


Yeah, but there are questions about allocation, so if they don't want to honor that price, it's easy to say the order has to be cancelled because they got cut and what can you do? Funny that $215 a box gets to be deemed a bargain these days. It wasn't so long ago that non-sport card collectors would have been fainting. Big Grin

January 05, 2022, 04:45 PM
wolfie
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Funny that $215 a box gets to be deemed a bargain these days. It wasn't so long ago that non-sport card collectors would have been fainting. Big Grin



Non sport card collectors are still fainting, i don't think it is card collectors as we know them who are buying these boxes.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
January 05, 2022, 05:14 PM
Kandor Archives
Delayed once more until January 19 according to the Cryptozoic Twitter.
January 05, 2022, 06:28 PM
ravenheart
Looks like the big three signed 100 cards each, and Amell/Gustin did 20 duals.