Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Luka Doncic 4.6 million
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luka Doncic 4.6 million
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Realize this is sports but this insanity is having an impact on all of us.

Highest valued Basketball card.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2...old-record-4-million

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't view that sort of thing as reality. I suppose it does have an impact in the way that someone might come to think that a card they get out of a box could sell like that someday. Of course you could also win the Power Ball or the Publisher's Clearing House.

Anyway, I'm a card collector and an autograph card collector, and these stories are actually getting offensive to me. Who would pay $4,500 for a blind pack of 2018-2019 Basketball cards? Who would pay $4.6 million for a 1/1 card in that 2018-2019 product? Can't you think of anything better to do with your money than that? Can't you find anyone who needs it more since you don't seem to need it?

I know its about markets and investments and all that high end collectible stuff that translates into money, but come on. It's not even an artifact, someone just made it as a 1/1 card 2 years ago. It's worse than insanity, it's pure stupidity being held up as some shining goal while the world is falling apart. I have no words . . .

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
SHOW ME THE MONEY. Elephant

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Insanity. I started watching the first few minutes of the Beckett round table that was linked on Card Talk and they were talking about how million dollar card sales weren't even newsworthy anymore because they were happening regularly.

I still can't figure out why these record sales are happening in basketball cards . . . I always thought baseball cards were the high water mark.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I still can't figure out why these record sales are happening in basketball cards . . . I always thought baseball cards were the high water mark.

Baseball cards are the larger market by far, but since Michael Jordan arrived on the scene in the early 80's, the big money buyers have been into Basketball with its star player and hot rookie cards.

The reason is because, unlike in baseball or football, one player can carry a whole basketball team. One player can be the face of the franchise for years. Plus lots of wealthy people love watching basketball games, just look at the regulars who sit at courtside in every big city arena.

Basketball cards got to be an elite market because of the likes of Jordan, Koby, Shaq, LeBron to name the best known in recent years, but every team has one or two stars. Doncic is 22 years old and was a rookie two years ago. He is foreign born and don't think that hasn't played a part in his popularity either.

So yeah, basketball cards are an elite market where some people always paid top dollar for certain products. It's just that top dollar has become not hundreds, but thousands of dollars now. In this case millions, but that's just out of control. If Doncic gets hurt and his career ends a year from now or he just loses his game, how much will this card be worth?

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I was at a flea market and a guy in his 40's or 50's was surprised at what recent sports cards can sell for compared to what he bought when he was a kid and what they sold for in the 90's. The seller pointed at one of his other customers who was maybe 16 and already a wheeler-dealer. The kid talked about buying some of the new packs for $200 because some of the cards were worth gambling for and he scored on one.

I can understand having fun making money dealing in items you like but it's also sad that someone that young was just flipping.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the type of problem it has caused.

Here is the link to the website if anyone is interested:

https://cartophilic-info-exch....vils-manchester.html

The text below is taken from the website (a UK Football Card website and was posted today fortunately by someone who about football/soccer cards).

"A sheet similar to this one is currently sitting on eBay listed as Buy It Now for $70,000 (plus $700 shipping) because the seller states that the sheet was printed in 1995 and includes a David Beckham Rookie card. Another sheet is listed at £9,999.99. Caveat emptor - nothing could be further from the truth - his collection was issued during the 2000-01 season NOT in 1995. Two of the cards feature Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes and are identified as England internationals, Butt made his England debut against Mexico on 29 March, 1997 while Scholes England debut came on 24 May 1997 against South Africa."

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

regards

John

What type of problem is that? It appears that the link is about soccer cards that may be misrepresented and may cost a lot more money than they are worth.

I don't know that a Doncic basketball card has anything to do with that specifically.

But if you're just pointing out that trading card markets are now being overrun by lunatics, con artists and fools, that's true. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Who the hell is paying big money for a two year old card? Madness. I mean sure, it's a 1/1 signed jersey card, so yeah, it's rare, and Luka is a great talent, but come on, he's been around for five minutes.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

Here is the link to the website if anyone is interested:

https://cartophilic-info-exch....vils-manchester.html

The text below is taken from the website (a UK Football Card website and was posted today fortunately by someone who about football/soccer cards).

"A sheet similar to this one is currently sitting on eBay listed as Buy It Now for $70,000 (plus $700 shipping) because the seller states that the sheet was printed in 1995 and includes a David Beckham Rookie card. Another sheet is listed at £9,999.99. Caveat emptor - nothing could be further from the truth - his collection was issued during the 2000-01 season NOT in 1995. Two of the cards feature Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes and are identified as England internationals, Butt made his England debut against Mexico on 29 March, 1997 while Scholes England debut came on 24 May 1997 against South Africa."

regards

John

The Rookie card madness has reached football cards since Panini took the Premier League licence from Topps. Some nice cards but ordinary base rookie cards reaching silly prices

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When Topps lost the Premier League licence I stopped collecting football cards since I have had no interest in European matches. Being a follower of the Football Cartophilic Info Exchange website I have seen over the years the amount of cards Panini and others have been producing grow more and more so I am glad I stopped.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post