Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hobbit
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Agreed.
Good luck building this set then. What happens to the cards that were in those boxes that didn't meet standards?

Perhaps they will save them for the next set?
I just hope they don't destroy them!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
One week to go. Can't wait for this release!

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flag City Collectibles:
One week to go. Can't wait for this release!

Already out in the UK(or at least on Ebay).

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My case left my friendly dealer's post office to the sorting facility this afternoon. Expect Friday.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 boxes here, in my sweaty little hands, within the hour... Smile Soooo pumped!

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boxes are here, but now I'm too nervous to open them... Never been very lucky with pulls... Need to chill, relax, take a deep breath, and...

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Get the one-of-a-kind "One Ring" card, Kris.

Then call me up, and we'll set off on a journey to throw it into the fires of Mount Doom. Hmmm. that sounds pretty difficult, though. We may need a few more people to tag along with us, I'm thinking seven more.

Good luck with your pulls. Think positive!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Sounds like a plan to me, though if I pulled the One Ring card think I'd be tempted to keep... the precious...

Thanks for the positive vibes, seems they paid off - pulled a William Kircher / Bifur and a Philippa Boyens / Writer! Pretty happy with that Smile

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Minor point compared to the many more serious issues Crypto have at the moment in my eyes, but could someone PLEASE teach them the nine times table?

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Minor point compared to the many more serious issues Crypto have at the moment in my eyes, but could someone PLEASE teach them the nine times table?

Can you fill me in?

Posts: 49 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: July 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I think Raven means the 9 pocket pages for card storage which fit into storage binders- when you have sets released which don't fit into multiples of 9 it can get annoying.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse's Continuum contains 69 base cards - whats that all about? Could have easily added a title card and 2 summary cards.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actually, I think Cryptozoic was quite conscious of the 9 cards per page with no leftover spaces preferences of collectors, as they provided exactly that on their "Hobbit" card set.

To wit, the entire set consists of 189 cards which fits perfectly into 21 nine pocket pages.
Here's how:

The 101 card base set
the 19 card insert set
the 18 card insert set
the 4 lenticular cards
the 2 promo cars
the 1 Binder card
the 22 Autograph cards
the 1 One Ring card
the 21 Redemption cards

...which make 189 cards in all.

So they do fit perfectly into the pages,
If you're the one person who has them all. Big Grin

And should you wish for sketches to add to your one of kind collection without messing up the flow of your binder pages, just get them in 9 card increments. May I suggest getting 81 sketches in total, 27 cases worth? It's 9 pages of 9 cards, so along with the rest, your entire collection will fit perfectly into 30 pages, a nice round number, with no troubling empty slots to spare.

This is my collecting strategy with this set, but I remain a few cards short towards that goal. Actually 269 cards short. (I have one of the promos.)

In truth, I'm liking but not necessarily loving this new movie trilogy (it doesn't quite have the spark of LOTR, maybe the finale will raise it to that level), so I'm just going to end up getting the Martin Freeman autograph (loved "The Office") and the Lee Pace autograph (loved "Pushing Daisies" and he was great in "Smaug") and the Lenticular set, and I'll be happy with that, and for the cost of just a few boxes.

But I love seeing the pulls on this set, and I hope someone on this board lands one of the big redemptions, or even the One Ring card.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't mind a base set that's slightly less than 9X because I need a pocket for the wrapper. I do have to scratch my head about a 19-card insert set, though.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cripplezoic the Queen of making you pay more for product they purposely make less of that is more desirable - if hobbit was damaged reach into your pockets and make more and how come some dealers get tons of the only 2 good licenses they have and the poor buying population has to pay 100 percent markup - Cripple please go the way of Inkworks - I will not miss u

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They've got a lot of juice. They aren't going anywhere.

posted Hide Post
There seems to be some sour grapes over The Hobbit release. I don't see what the problem is. If you pre-ordered for around $700, then frankly, you are getting an amazing product. I couldn't be happier. Never had so much good stuff for my personal collection.

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's late and maybe I'm cranky.

Nothing against Crypto or The Hobbit product, whoever digs it is fine for them.

But it could be that just saying there is no problem if you spend around $700, is the problem. Think about it please.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Definitely one, and probably the other (Big Grin) , Raven, but you are right.

The pre-order price was superb for what these boxes are yielding, but there are going to be some boxes that produce cards not even "worth" the original reasonable pre-order price, let alone the inflated prices that followed once the boxes were gone at wholesale.

You win some and you lose some, but if you're dropping $125+ per box and $1500 for a case of 12 boxes, it's pretty hard to win.
And if the increased odds of losing (due to the money spent) can bother someone so much, best they just buy a box at a time, until they've had enough. Probably won't take $1k to find that out, if purchasing boxes that way, and then should things not work out in your favor, value-wise, it wouldn't sting so much.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just to let everyone know it appears that a Hobbit Peter Jackson autograph card may exist. It's strange that Cryptozoic never mentioned it though and it's not on the checklist. But it looks legit. It popped up on eBay and then was ended early as "no longer available". Here's the link to the ended auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Sorry give credit to vampy for spotting this first. I didn't see it already being discussed in the box break section.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post