Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hobbit
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi
Not posted here for a very long time.
It might be worth checking the auto list on Cryptozoic's web site again. Just saying. Wink

Posts: 38 | Location: Nottingham, Uk | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
Oh I didn't see that Sylvester McCoy was signing. Dance I will add him to the Aidan Turner and Martin Freeman I would like to have from this set.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Almath:
Hi
Not posted here for a very long time.
It might be worth checking the auto list on Cryptozoic's web site again. Just saying. Wink

I see nothing different to three weeks ago... am I missing something??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenheart,

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darth Graham
posted Hide Post
There is now a picture of the Graham McTavish auto card on the Cryptozoic website he's the first person to return his cards! Still no art card details.

Posts: 165 | Location: Milton Keynes, UK | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Graham:
Still no art card details.

Yeah, I'm really curious on the insertion rate of the sketch cards and I'd love to see more samples of them soon.

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Graham:
There is now a picture of the Graham McTavish auto card on the Cryptozoic website he's the first person to return his cards! Still no art card details.

I was hoping they would be landscape to match the Topps Lord of the Rings set, but they probably want to distance themselves a little from that. Of course, if you have to rip off a set, the Topps LOTR sets are some of the best sets ever made, so you could do worse (ask Artbox, since they pretty much did that for Harry Potter).

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: archifou,

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A bit old school, so to speak, but attractive. I like it, although I agree with those above, I would have preferred something more closely resembling the Topps LOTR ones.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I'm no CZE cheerleader, but they cannot win this one no matter what they do.

The auto format is different from Topps: People say it's 'old school' or too different.

If they auto format was similar to Topps: People would say they were lazy or showed no creativity.

I'm sure from a design standpoint they wanted their cards to be as different as possible. Just as a matter of company pride and wanting your set to stand alone, not behind someone else's set.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
Of course, if you have to rip off a set, the Topps LOTR sets are some of the best sets ever made, so you could do worse (ask Artbox, since they pretty much did that for Harry Potter).

"Rip off" might be a bit harsh, though I agree the layouts are identical enough to make me cringe. Topps hired Gary Gerani to design, write, and produce the initial LOTR sets, and Artbox hired ... Gary Gerani ... to design, write, and produce the initial Potter sets. And several other series.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I don't see why Cryptozoic would want to mimic the designs of Topps?
The Hobbit style autos looks simple but well laid out: good picture, title, enough room to sign.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I don't see why Cryptozoic would want to mimic the designs of Topps?
The Hobbit style autos looks simple but well laid out: good picture, title, enough room to sign.

I don't think they needed to mimic the design, and I am certainly planning on buying a lot of these sets (I am assuming there will be at least 3 of them). I just think the Topps set is pretty great, and it wouldn't have bothered me at all if Crypto decided to design these so they looked like 'descendants' of those sets.

But no doubt, the first thing they said in the first design meeting was 'how can we make these different from the Topps sets?' because any company wants their product to stand as the definitive set.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:
"For a universe that's supposed to be half Chinese, Firefly sure doesn't have any Asians."

Dont' forget that Wash is a Li on the Nguyend.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Referring to the Cryptozic website it looks like each Hobbit box contains only 1 auto and nothing else? Sketches being 1 per case? Hopefully I'm missing something.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
http://www.cryptozoic.com/trad...ourney-trading-cards

They have added Aidan Turner as Kili's autograph on Cryptozoic's Hobbit page.

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:
Referring to the Cryptozic website it looks like each Hobbit box contains only 1 auto and nothing else? Sketches being 1 per case? Hopefully I'm missing something.

Art cards' insert ratio is "still to be determined", so I hope there's 2-3 per case... Only Cryptozoic knows! But, yeah, no costume cards unfortunately...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Tirohn:
You are reading the description correctly. Each box will have just one autograph card as the main and only hit. You should also get four chase cards but they can't be seen as 'hits'. Sketch card frequency has not been determined yet, so not even certain to be one per case.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
http://www.cryptozoic.com/trad...ourney-trading-cards

New autos are posted, Callen's "Dwarves Rule!" is fun.

posted Hide Post
Sweet! This set is shaping up very nicely. Colour me excited Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: UK | Registered: March 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
You are reading the description correctly. Each box will have just one autograph card as the main and only hit. You should also get four chase cards but they can't be seen as 'hits'. Sketch card frequency has not been determined yet, so not even certain to be one per case.

Precisely why I won't be buying a box. Simply not worth the asking price unless they break their sacred (and stingy) one autograph rule, which frankly, in the absence of wardrobe/prop cards, which would be the second hit in almost all of their other sets, they really should.