Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    2020 Pop Century Announcement.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 Pop Century Announcement.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Ahh ok, I have seen those. Are all of them oversized cards?

I have one of Zachary Levi. Also have two or three of the Timem cards.

Nope. They're regular card size. They refer to the Quinto one as a mini-print. All the Heroes ones were mini-prints, I think.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:

Marco Guerrero of 258 West Authentic.
They did generic autograph cards in the vein of Pop Century for stars of Supernatural, True Blood, Glee, Doctor Who. They had a couple for Game of Throne's Emilia Clarke and Person of Interest's Sarah Shahi.
There were also some signed mini-prints of stars from Heroes (original).

Marco was really ahead of his time:

Here is a link to a pic if the pic doesn't show up: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g...wCFhfCpBz/s-l400.jpg

He kind of got rejected on here and in the hobby because he was 'unlicensed,' I likely fell in to that trap as well.

He really made a lot of cool cards, and I think that if he was better accepted in the hobby he'd still be making them.

He has Vampire Diaries single, dual and triple autographs -- all on card.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
I would love to get that Creed Bratton card. He's my favourite character from 'The Office'.

The Daisy Ridley signature is probably just a mock-up. I have only seen her full signature on cards twice; the Beckett Witnessed cards she signed before Force Awakens came out and a card from a Star Wars set from last year which sold for over $1000.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
The Daisy Ridley signature is probably just a mock-up. I have only seen her full signature on cards twice; the Beckett Witnessed cards she signed before Force Awakens came out and a card from a Star Wars set from last year which sold for over $1000.

You could be right, it wouldn't be the first time mock-up autographs were advertised by a card maker, although I'm thinking more of someone else. I can't recall if Leaf is known to do it.

However I think showing a full signature Daisy Ripley, even on a sticker, would be quite misleading if you don't have at least one to put in a box. As you said, they are quite difficult to find and will command a premium over the price for her now standard "Daisy" autograph. So I would hope for Leaf's sake that it is an old sticker or a new one with a full signature, because it's not a "stock" photo if it doesn't show her "stock" autograph.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Guess my first impression was "****! More ugly metal cards!" Can't ever see myself getting a box or case of these, will always just pick out the few sigs I am hunting. Pop Century used to have a classic design that didn't hurt your eyes to look at.

Although this is a first announcement (which actually feels a little late) with so few new signers promoted it does feel like a sticker left over set. Hopefully it will develop out over the next several weeks.

As of right now Meg and possibly Nina are the only two on my list.

Totally agree the old style Pop Century -- pre-metal had such a classic design.

Nina is another great auto, I have hers from Marco's sets so I personally won't be chasing that one.

Has she signed for Pop Century before?

Agree with this, the older stuff was so much nicer.

Always though the plain old 'base' autos with white borders and no serial numbering always looked the best too.

Leaf sure do come up with some quirky auto card designs that really turn me off buying their stuff sometimes.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Ridley, not Ripley.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oops, Alien on my mind. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nope. They're regular card size. They refer to the Quinto one as a mini-print. All the Heroes ones were mini-prints, I think.

Pretty sure the autographed "Heroes" miniprints are oversized, something like 4x6. I got the Greg Grunberg from a grab bag of 10 various auto pieces Marco sold at Comic-con one year.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I never knew they were called "Heroes Mini Prints" and I bought them when they first appeared back in 2007. I could only get Milo Ventimiglia, Kristen Bell, Greg Grunberg, Zachary Quinto and Sendhil Ramamurthy. I think some were sold out. While it says "Mini Print" on the back, there is no mention of Heroes on the cards.

The Zachary Levi was done in 2008 and I got that from Marco too. All of these cards are oversized. Later on the cards became standard size for other signers.

I don't know how others may assess them, but I have never considered these cards to be unlicensed because they require no license to my mind. There is no mention of any TV shows or other licensed properties. The photos are head shots of the actors with no character roles or common project relationships implied or stated. The actors were paid for their participation. 258 West Authentic wasn't violating anybody's license in making cards for private autograph sessions in my opinion.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
That was my own term, and clearly it's a misnomer since in addition to the Heroes actors, several were made in that format featuring non-Heroes actors. I probably wouldn't even have known about the format if I hadn't found a Grunberg in that grab bag I bought. Beautiful art on those, for sure.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are really nice looking and well made. I haven't looked them up recently so I don't know what they are going for now, but I seem to remember that they sold between $20 - $30 at the time. Heroes flamed out early, so demand is probably minimal, but I would hope some went up. I know I'm missing the A1 and I believe that might have been Hayden Panettiere.

I have several other autograph cards from 258, including one of my favorite actors Tom Hiddleston, as well as Emilia Clarke. Unfortunately the cards themselves are kind of thin and less attractive than the first ones they made, but they are still good as an affordable alternative to their signatures in the mainstream products made by UD and RA.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The cards were all numbered to 258. The ones I have have are all 074 of 258.

The 6 I have are
Kristen Bell (6A-2007)
Milo Ventimiglia (5A-2007)
Zachary Quinto (4A-2007)
Sendhil Ramamurthy (3A-2007)
Greg Grunberg (2A-2007)
Hayden Panettiere (1A-2007)

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cards were all numbered to 258. The ones I have have are all 074 of 258.

The 6 I have are
Kristen Bell (6A-2007)
Milo Ventimiglia (5A-2007)
Zachary Quinto (4A-2007)
Sendhil Ramamurthy (3A-2007)
Greg Grunberg (2A-2007)
Hayden Panettiere (1A-2007)

While the mini-prints are fantastic, I'm really a card collector -- I wish Bell and Panettiere were done card sized by Marco. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to get over the fact that is must have been 13 years ago that i got those. Eek

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
On the street, this is basic autograph list. Happy to see Christina Ricci in this.

BA-AD1 Adam Driver #/ 10
BA-AD2 Angie Dickinson #/ 25
BA-AG1 Annabeth Gish #/ 20
BA-AP1 Al Pacino #/ 5
BA-AQ1 Aileen Quinn #/ 50
BA-AR1 Anthony Rapp #/ 15
BA-AS1 Alicia Silverstone #/ 5
BA-BT1 Bella Thorne #/ 50
BA-C1 Coolio #/ 27
BA-CB1 Clive Barker #/ 50
BA-CE1 Carmen Electra #/ 15
BA-CK1 Camille Kostek #/ 15
BA-CM1 Cheech Marin #/ 50
BA-CR1 Christina Ricci #/ 24
BA-CS1 Charlie Sheen #/ 15
BA-CT1 Charlene Tilton #/ 15
BA-DB1 Delta Burke #/ 15
BA-DDM Drea de Matteo #/ 15
BA-DR1 Daisy Ridley #/ 14
BA-DR2 Denise Richards #/ 30
BA-DR3 Dennis Rodman #/ 50
BA-DVD Dick Van **** #/ 15
BA-EA1 Ed Asner #/ 15
BA-EB1 Elizabeth Berkley #/ 15
BA-EE1 Emilio Estevez #/ 41
BA-ER1 Eric Roberts #/ 15
BA-EW1 Elijah Wood #/ 16
BA-FJ1 Fat Joe #/ 33
BA-GL1 George Lopez #/ 50
BA-HF1 Harrison Ford #/ 3
BA-HT1 Heather Thomas #/ 20
BA-JJ1 Jesse Jane #/ 15
BA-JL1 Joey Lawrence #/ 15
BA-JM1 Joe Montana #/ 50
BA-JR1 Jeremy Renner #/ 50
BA-JT1 John Travolta #/ 50
BA-KJ1 Kate Jackson #/ 30
BA-LB1 Linda Blair #/ 8
BA-LP1 Lori Petty #/ 35
BA-LR1 Lisa Rinna #/ 24
BA-MBB Millie Bobby Brown #/ 45
BA-MC1 Mark Cuban #/ 50
BA-MI1 Michael Imperioli #/ 23
BA-MJ1 Michelle Johnson #/ 15
BA-ML1 Mike Love #/ 25
BA-MM1 Michael Madsen #/ 50
BA-MR1 Marion Ross #/ 20
BA-MR2 Meg Ryan #/ 24
BA-ND1 Nina Dobrev #/ 25
BA-NK1 Nancy Kovack #/ 50
BA-NS1 Nicole Sullivan #/ 22
BA-RO1 Robert O'Neill #/ 50
BA-RW1 Robert Wagner #/ 15
BA-SA1 Sean Astin #/ 25
BA-SP1 Stefanie Powers #/ 15
BA-SS1 Steven Seagal #/ 5
BA-TB1 Toni Basil #/ 15
BA-VP1 Vincent Pastore #/ 50
BA-WM1 Wink Martindale #/ 15
BA-WS1 William Shatner #/ 50

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That list actually looks a little too good to me. They can't all be numbered. Somewhere there is going to be a guy with a paper bag on his head. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Signature list looks pretty good. Some of the bigger names (relative to Hollywood, I suppose) have been around in prior years, so Leaf is definitely spacing out the sticker usage.

As an ripe man of 44, I was surprised to have heard of almost all of the signers. There are only a handful I don't know by name or pic. I call that a win.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That list actually looks a little too good to me. They can't all be numbered. Somewhere there is going to be a guy with a paper bag on his head. Big Grin

So far everything I have seen is numbered including the base silver cards. There are parallels of course.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Looks like they jumped on several of the $20 Taylor Swift CD's and cut them up so that sellers now think they are magically worth $300.

Jackie Chan, Jerry Rice, Kylie and Kendall Jenner and Val Kilmer all had recent books violated for the cause of the cut.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like they jumped on several of the $20 Taylor Swift CD's and cut them up so that sellers now think they are magically worth $300.

Jackie Chan, Jerry Rice, Kylie and Kendall Jenner and Val Kilmer all had recent books violated for the cause of the cut.

Yeah, but it been working so far for all the card makers because the autograph is now in card form, which is supposed to be a rare item, and the signature is now thought to be certified in some manner beyond the original source material.

With stuff like the Taylor CD or signed books from Barnes & Noble, anyone in demand is sold out before most fans hear about it. And with the B&N books, you still have to watch out for autopens, plus its a book. At least you can play a CD. Big Grin

I don't like the cut signature cards. They are a rip off when everyone knows its a rip off and no one even tries to hide it. However they have demand and value and they sell. If I were to see one with an autograph I really wanted and could not find in any other certified form, I would consider it if the price wasn't obscene. I wouldn't spend hundreds for any signature, so that's out for all of them.

But that's where collectors contribute to things that aren't very good for the hobby in general. We want things when we know better and should leave them alone. I'm as guilty of that as anyone else. Wink