Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Putting Collectables on Display?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting Collectables on Display?
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted
I'm preparing for a house move so I'm 're-inventorying' (?) my collection(s) and when I get to my new place I'd like to have more accessibility to my collections. For example on display to have as part of the place rather than hidden in a box or draw. I know many things like autographs and even binders are fragile and susceptible to easy damage eg sunlight. Does any have tips on how I could display items like these on view but without being damaged by natural (or idiot human) means? Thanks. Thumb Up

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what the item is -- anything that I have on display is behind UV blocking glass or acrylic. I also try to keep things in rooms that do not get much sunlight.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Most modern cards have a UV coating on the card itself, it's really the older ones (pre-1995 or so) that need UV protection.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Studio-Hades:
Most modern cards have a UV coating on the card itself, it's really the older ones (pre-1995 or so) that need UV protection.

True, but even if the card is UV coated an autograph or sketch on top of the card is generally not (there are exceptions).

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have had the autograph disappear completely off modern cards that i have had on display in a photo frame in my room so i would be very careful about doing that.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I have had the autograph disappear completely off modern cards that i have had on display in a photo frame in my room so i would be very careful about doing that.

This. I have a ballpoint pen signed baseball under protective glass that has just about vanished. I have a large pen drawn framed sketch that is discoloring. I have seen numerous signed cards that have faded or discolored ink. I never put my own autograph cards out.

Displays look great, but unless you are prepared to get museum quality light protection for your items I would advise collectors not to do it. The normal stuff that claims UV filtering is not reliable.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Here is one of my displays, with trading cards, etc.:

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
I have some of my sketches displayed in a frame that has museum quality UV protective glass. I can remove the back of the frame to change the sketches around every now and them. Also make shower to get acid free mats in the frame.

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
You have some nicely detailed sketches there. I particularly like the Magik one.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some great sketches there

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post