Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
as far as I know his name is Marc Blucas. Capital M & B, at least that's what the text of the autograph card says. I think the capital L was just to fit with the typeface of this particular series. I could be wrong though.

Val
Smile

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dunkelzahn
posted Hide Post
Hi Folks, Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster (well besides my post in the trades forum lol)I picked up a box of 50 loose packs from Wal-Mart and got an assortment of chase cards like spider man 2 film cell card 2 lenticular cards from spider man 2, two of the stand up teenage mutant ninja turtles cards from shredder strikes back,2 die Cut transformers armada cards,Anatasia die cut card, batman begins sticker, lots of marvel recharge foils with some cool ones like spider etc,harry potter card game ultra rare out of the one pack of that in the entire box lol basically quite a bit of insert cards sorry to ramble on like that lol,just getting back into collecting after a 11 year hiatus and getting chase cards for me and my Wife gets the blood flowing lol Smile o box was only 10 bucks for 50 packs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dunkelzahn,

Posts: 22 | Location: Ulthar | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Went into a comics shop I hadn't been to in a while and they had some Xena & Hercules: Animated packs out(three-actually) and some Smallville 4. I bought all three Xena packs and one Smallville 4.
Smallville 4 and one pack of Xena= base cards only.
Other two packs of Xena yielded C5- Ares and..........

Hudson Leick as the animated Callisto!

I really wanted that autograph! I now have pulled both Xena and Callisto from loose packs of this series, all I need is a Renee O'Connor/Gabrielle now...(LOL)

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
went to a retail comic book chain store in my area. totally soulless, everything expensive, and staffed by people who if you asked for any "flaming carrot books", they would tell you "we dont sell cook books" (which happened to me once, if you know comics, thats sorta funny). Anyway, I go inside, and notice pack sale, 1.50...not as good as my favorite shop and their semi annual buck a pack sale, but good price still. I get the last few Linsner Dawn, a few lost, a few serenity, Batman begins, etc. I also go and get a few non sale packs like the new alias. Spent like 20 bucks, but a good 20. Pulled some yays.
1. Dawn Signed Linsner card 5/10
2. Alias season 4 Sonia Braga Auto
3. Amy Allen Star Wars widevision auto.

Nothing mind blowing, no huge short print variant or anything, but still, 3 nice autos, of people i actually know, lol. not the most common thing when you buy packs these days, only to pull your 3rd Ty ollousen autograph.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
As an answer to the question... Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?

I stll have to say for me it is. I have yet to pull the score from a lose pack. I keep trying and failing. My latest were some deep discount hobby packs of Daredevil & American Chopper nothing. I at least got a magnet from 5 packs of Batman animated, but was hoping to snag a sketch. No luck for me!

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
I don't have any luck with loose packs! Frown I still try once in a while. Roll Eyes

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
I can't even find anyone that sells non sports down here... let alone loose packs. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:
You and me both. Roll Eyes

Other people seem to just stroll in and buy a pack and get the big auto everytime unless yhey buy loads that we don't hear about.

Makes you sick. Drool

Of course! You never hear of the times I go in and buy 10 packs and get just 1 foil card, which happens as often as the times I get a good pull but it isn't as much fun telling people that story. Razz

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redemption:
I can't even find anyone that sells non sports down here... let alone loose packs. Roll Eyes

same here Shake Head
except for the retail packs at Target,which I don't care for.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
no, like i try to say in my posts, its not common to buy loose packs and score well. your much better off, dollar for dollar, buying 6 case lots. But, i very rarely have the money for 6 cases of anything, to get all the super secret bonus cards and what not...So, i stick to packs and boxes...maybe a case if its ubah! But, like said before, no one wants to hear about how last week i bought 8 packs of lost...to pull not even 1 insert (a feat hard to do).

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
Well, that makes me feel better, I'm not the only repeat loser! Big Grin It is such a rarity to find hobby packs in my area that when I find them I am giddy with the hope of pulling something cool. It just never happens.

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Y'all are gonna hate me, but I tried my luck today with some packs since it is my birthday....(bought two packs of Star Trek: Art and Images and one pack of X-Files: Connections) and though one ST and the X-F packs only contained base cards, I pulled a Barbara Luna as Marlena Moreau autograph from the other pack of ST: A&I.

Val

Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you got a good pack pull on your birthday! Thumb Up

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Clap

Smokin'

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well done, happy birthday. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Happy B-Day Wave

I opened 15 packs of Topps WWE Heritage on Friday night from the local shop and got,

4 stickers of Cena, Rock, Batista, and Angle
Shawn Michaels Relic shirt card

Today I went back and bought one pack from the same box and pulled a Trish Stratus auto Luv You

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darth Smittyous
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, but I have been "lurking" at the message boards for a while. I have a great story that I had to share though. Yesterday, I bought four packs of Family Guy cards for my girlfriend from a store in the mall. The cards were on clearance and came up to about $2.00 plus tax. I didn't think my girlfriend would find anything cool since there were so few packs left in the box, but we have fun opening packs. First pack - just base cards... Second pack - she found a "Bad Dog" foil that she already had... Third pack - base cards... Fourth pack - I saw a blueish foil card I thought was a "Family Portrait" card. I was WAY off. It was an autograph redemption card! She was really excited, especially when she turned it over and saw that it was for a Seth McFarlane "Stewie" autograph. Dance We both nearly freaked out when we realized what it was. And the best part, I contacted Inkworks and they are still honoring the redemption offer!

On a side note, last week I bought about 18 packs of Star Wars ROTS Widevision at another clearance sale, and pulled three Flix Pix (these are cool) and three retail chromes. Not quite as fantastic as the Stewie autograph, but I'll take them Thumb Up

Posts: 65 | Location: VA | Registered: February 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I swear this store I go into just wants to give me autograph cards....

Bought three packs of James Bond and two packs of Serenity.(Again, all they had out.) Bond only yielded one villain card, while Serenity yielded autograph A1- Nathan Fillion. This marks the FOURTH time I have pulled Nathan's autograph since buying Serenity cards. I have one, traded one, gave one to my best friend and now have yet another extra. I am half-expecting to pull a fourth Morena Baccarin, since she and Nathan were my two most frequent pulls from this set.

Val

New Card Talk Member
Picture of EzraSmall
posted Hide Post
I've always had mixed feelings. I feel like packs from open boxes have somehow been picked through (Don't know the secrets to finding packs with special cards, but think there are). I don't keep my hopes up. I'll buy them if I just want the base set and foil chase cards with the fun of opening packs. Anything special is a plus. I think it depends on how, where, and who opened the box too. If a dealer opened, I tend to think the goods have been, like I said, somehow picked. But if it's in a store where the box was opened and placed on shelf, who knows? Did the store owner pick through first and place leftover packs in the box? I'm too new at this and cheap when it comes to buying sealed boxes. I've bought sealed boxes of my favorite cards sometimes to NOT get the special one I was looking for. On the other hand I bought a bunch of packs from opened boxes of Andromeda not expecting anything special and got the "Lexa Diog as Rommie" auto card, as well as a couple pieceworks, so...

Posts: 8 | Location: Smallville, Kansas | Registered: February 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up three packs of Family Guys Season 1 cards today at Tower Records and I ended up getting an autograph redemption card for Eric Estrada, a sketch card of Stewie by Joel Gomez (299/500), and one of the cards of the nine piece puzzle set for this series.

I am really happy about this as I haven't bought any packs of this set, but I saw a full unwrapped box hiding in the corner of the store, and I thought that I would press my luck- and for once it worked!

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of matt&katie
posted Hide Post
Went to walmart yesterday to get some cold medicine and so happened to walk by the cards, grabbed 1 pack of LOTR Evolution. After leaving I saw on the reciept they never even charged me for the pack. Got home and gave it to my sick soon to wife to brighten her spirits and low and behold...
Frodo Costume card!!

Cheers All!!

Matt

Posts: 142 | Location: Midwest | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post