Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I was downtown and as my local shop had nothing new I bought 1 pack of Benchwarmers Gold Edition and pulled the only autograph I would keep from the set, the Trishelle Cannatella. I liked her on the 1 season of The Surreal Life that I watched and was just checking ebay to maybe buy one. Big Grin

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
I remember her... you pulled a good card. She's cute!

Didn't know that she signed for the set but then again, the cards aren't really up my alley. Wink

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I purchased some loose packs and I never got anything, just base cards.

You can get lucky with loose packs from an open box.

I think if you see people on eBay selling packs from an open box, they already opened other packs from boxes and got their PW card or Auto card from that box, so they figure nothing else of value will be left in the remaining packs.

But, sometimes there might be a nice surprise in thos unopened packs.

As far as myself... No Luck at all.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Keep going MarcG. You'll hit gold sooner or later. Wink

I'd rather chance my arm & get a few packs than wonder what might have been. At the very least you get some new cards to look at & read.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justm:
Keep going MarcG. You'll hit gold sooner or later. Wink

I'd rather chance my arm & get a few packs than wonder what might have been. At the very least you get some new cards to look at & read.

Thanks justm...

I hope oneday I will be the lucky one.

I will keep trying, I always think that there might be something in that pack and if I do not buy it, I will be missing out.

Congrats to everyone who gets a great card from a loose pack.

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
Recently I have been having trouble finding stores that carry non-sport card packs.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
if you live in a small town - they don't exist. Believe me, I know because I live in a small town.

There's a Wal-mart that sells Yugioh card packs but that's about it.

A comic book shop opened up about a month ago only twenty minutes away from me but I think that it's already shut down. I can't find it anywhere... so I never really found out if they carried packs of cards.

I've gotten packs from online stores ( I know the chances are slim but what's life without taking chances) and never have had any luck.

I know how frustrating it can be, MarcG. Don't worry.. I bet the next time you get a few packs, they'll have something special inside. Wink

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I understand completely...

All of the comic stores and card stores around me all shut down.

It gets harder to find cards anywhere.

I remember when I was younger, every stationary store, caldors and woolworths near me had tons of cards now nothing.

That is why eBay is great for me... but sometimes the prices get abit out of hand.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
It is not just small towns Hollypop. Living in the suburbs of Chicago, I have found that very few card shops carry non-sports and the majority of comic shops gave up on them in the 90's as they were getting screwed by the manufacturers who were shipping product to Sam's Club and the like BEFORE shipping to the hobby shops.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
I've only lived in small towns so I just took it for granted that the larger places had more options.

No wonder so many of us do rely on the internet for cards. I know I do.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hollypop:
I've only lived in small towns so I just took it for granted that the larger places had more options.

I live in Miami... we have nothing down here. Shake Head

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
Picture of ianyoshio
posted Hide Post
My wife & I consider ourselves lucky. Our local shop owner doesn't cherry pick packs & tries to pretty much have everything and if he doesn't he'll carry it if we ask him. We do have a lot of comic shops in the area, but most places don't carry Non sports cards or if they do it's very little.

Posts: 4 | Location: Livermore, CA | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
What's needed is as many retailers as possible to use the Retailers Advertising Forum that NSU have provided. It would mean that you could find the shops which held cards near you - or where you going on a business trip/holiday. That would surely help them achieve a strong customer base & stop them being the 'here today/gone tomorrow' stores that so many unfortunately are.

NSU has provided this resource - I don't know why more don't use it. Of course, when you've found a shop near you then you've got to use it or lose it.

Those of us who know where card shops are should share that knowledge too. Card Talk is not the place for this - they'd like to get the advertising money, but if you see someone in your area moaning about the lack of shops then surely it's in everyones best interest to e-mail them off-board. You may find a friend. Wink

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
in sheffield its terrible even fobbiden planet dont even have any cards here in sheffield

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charmedmad:
in sheffield its terrible even fobbiden planet dont even have any cards here in sheffield

That's pretty bad luck as I know the London, Birmingham & Cambridge branches do (and the Cambridge branch is about the size of a shoebox). Perhaps if you asked they'd be able to get a few boxes in just to see if they sell. If you suggested popular titles - Transformers, Buffy, Harry Potter, etc. - I'm sure they might oblige.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Bought the last four packs of Buffy: 10th at one of my comic shops today.

First two packs: nothing.

Third pack: Recollections: R8- Tara(I LOVE this chase set, probably my favorite chase set ever in a Buffy series.)

Fourth and final pack: PW-8: Emma Caulfield as Anya Jenkins from "Tough Love".

I am so happy, I love that I got a new Recollections card- for some reason I kept getting Oz in my packs. :/ I am also glad that I have a new PW card from this set.

Sometimes those final packs have gold Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redemption:
quote:
Originally posted by hollypop:

I live in Miami... we have nothing down here. Shake Head

Really? See, I would think that you would.

I always thought that the larger places would just naturally have more things to offer than small towns.

(just wanted to share)...

Up in Ottawa, I had no idea that there was a comic/card shop until my, now hubby, took me right into the downtown area. There it was, bold as can be, but it was after ten at night and we were leaving back for the States that morning.

Hence, I never had a chance, even in another country.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
Bought the last four packs of Buffy: 10th at one of my comic shops today.

First two packs: nothing.

Third pack: Recollections: R8- Tara(I LOVE this chase set, probably my favorite chase set ever in a Buffy series.)

Fourth and final pack: PW-8: Emma Caulfield as Anya Jenkins from "Tough Love".

I am so happy, I love that I got a new Recollections card- for some reason I kept getting Oz in my packs. :/ I am also glad that I have a new PW card from this set.

Sometimes those final packs have gold Smile

Val

That particular chase set is very nice looking. I was only able to see pictures, recently, on Ebay.

Glad you got a couple of new cards for your set, Val. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
So my comics shop got in some boxes of DC Legacy this week and I am officially addicted to this set. The first day, they had an open box, so I bought some packs(three I think)- got no special chases. The next day I got a couple more and pulled two gold foil cards(Firestorm and the Spectre.) and one of the covers cards(Shazam!) Yesterday I bought two packs and got the lenticular Flash card and I also bought a box(which I posted on the breakdowns thread.) Yesterday, my shop apparently mixed a second box of cards' packs in with the first box, which was weird because I was trying to work my way towards the sketch in the first box if it was still there.

So I walk into my comics shop today, totally addicted to DC Sketch cards and I decide to buy four packs of cards. I asked the cashier to wish me "a sketch or two."

First pack: Katie Cook Blue Beetle sketch!(Apparently one of only two Beetle sketches she did and I know the other one has shown up already, being in ZtaylorK's archive box), there is a picture of it on the Scoundrel art board.

Second pack: Base cards.

Third pack: A Brandao sketch of Zatanna! (not the fishnetted heroine I had hoped for, but I do adore her...)- I was so psyched!

Fourth pack: Hawkman#1 First Covers Card.

I couldn't believe I hit both sketches- I was so excited!

Yay DC Legacy!(I am getting at least one more box next week.)

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's amazing pulling two sketches from four packs Eek

Congrats Wave

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post