Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Picked up 22 packs of WCW Nitro cards off ebay for 99p.
No base set or chromium cards.
2 autographs: Sting and Mr.Perfect Curt Hennig

Posts: 82 | Location: Gloucester,England | Registered: April 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rongy:
Picked up 22 packs of WCW Nitro cards off ebay for 99p.
No base set or chromium cards.
2 autographs: Sting and Mr.Perfect Curt Hennig

Wow, two of the best autos in the set. Congrats!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I don't remember if I ever posted in this thread or not.

Anyway, a couple of years ago a grocery store put a bunch of their cards on sale. I bought remaining cards from a Heroes series, a LotR series, and 2 or 3 Star Trek series. Nothing from Heroes, but pulled many chase cards and 3 sketch cards. BTW, they were $1 a pack. 2 or 3 stops at the store I spent $40-50.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJJ:
Went back to Worlds Apart today and they still had some packs on sale for a £1 a pack so I picked up all the packs they had left. 1xStarTrek movie (nothing pulled),4xLost S1 thru S5(one chase pulled) and 14x Lost Archives and pulled one chase and three auto's: Kim Dickens as Cassidy Phillips,Sterling Beaumon as Young Ben and Ian Somerhalder as Boone Carlyle. Not to bad for the money spent.

Love Worlds Apart. Must get back to Liverpool one day.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ian Somerhalder as Boone Carlyle.

That's awesome - Congratulations! Clap

Interested in parting with that Ian Somerhalder? Wink

Let me know: tc00@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
quote:
Ian Somerhalder as Boone Carlyle.

That's awesome - Congratulations! Clap

Interested in parting with that Ian Somerhalder? Wink

Let me know: tc00@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers.

I might be, email sent

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I bought two packs of loose Walking Dead cards at my LCS (gotta support them) and pulled a Steven Yeun A6 auto. I found this funny because in my two boxes I bought from my friendly dealer, I pulled both Steve Yeun auto cards. I'm all Yuen, all the time. Big Grin

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Walked into my local shop today, and the owner had some Topps Wrestling packs that have sat for a while. He asked me if I wanted them for $1 a pack. So I got 10 packs. Got them out to the car and I look on the back - autographs are 1:150, and most of the packs were already gone from the box. Not looking like I'd get anything...

Pulled a John Cena auto, very happy!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Monsterama2000
posted Hide Post
Went to my local comic shop this morning to pick up my books. I also bought two packs of Marvel Beginnings and two packs of CBLDF Liberty. From the Marvel packs I pulled an Autographed Marvel Breakthrough Comic Card signed by Gerry Conway. And from the Liberty packs I pulled a Witchblade sketch card by Bianca Thompson. Not too bad for only four packs of cards. Smile

Posts: 120 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never really had much luck with "last packs" of any kind - nonsports or sports cards.

That is until recently. I have been buying New Moon Series 2 packs when I find them at Target. I figure at least I can get some of the update cards. My last 3 trips there have been 3 packs each time - 2 different stores. I pulled a Carlisle auto (shortened version that is about 1/2 the size of the other auto), an Alice auto, and then the other, longer Carlisle auto.

I have been pretty happy. 99 cent packs, so for less than $10 I got 3 auto cards.

Thanks,
Nathan

Posts: 30 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan MacKeller:
I have never really had much luck with "last packs" of any kind - nonsports or sports cards.

That is until recently. I have been buying New Moon Series 2 packs when I find them at Target. I figure at least I can get some of the update cards. My last 3 trips there have been 3 packs each time - 2 different stores. I pulled a Carlisle auto (shortened version that is about 1/2 the size of the other auto), an Alice auto, and then the other, longer Carlisle auto.

I have been pretty happy. 99 cent packs, so for less than $10 I got 3 auto cards.

Thanks,
Nathan

That's pretty lucky Clap

Major congrats.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Monsterama2000
posted Hide Post
Went to a local vintage toy store and bought the last six packs of Battle of the Planets by Dynamic Forces from 2002. I got one acetate cel card and this sketch by Dan Parsons.

Posts: 120 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Was at a sports card shop in Biloxi, MS and in there dollar back box were 8 packs on StarGate Universe Season 1.
I got all 8.
I got 2 Quotable Eli cards
1 autograph Ona Grauer as Emily Young
1 Costume card Alaina Huffman's pants.
AWEsome!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to find good stuff in loose packs but lately I can't find any packs to buy. Comic book stores have moved away from Non-sports into gaming.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Got 4 packs of the new Bond series at work today in the hopes of pulling a Halle Berry card- no luck on her but I did get:

Gotz Otto as Stamper (L)

and

Michelle Yeoh as Wai Lin (L)

Very happy with the Yeoh autograph, may have to get a few more packs to see if I can hit that 3rd autograph.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I saw packs for sale in a shop of any kind!

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't remember the last time I saw packs for sale in a shop of any kind!

I must admit when I did see packe for sale they came with a lot of dust! Guess I can't blame stores if there not selling. I was always afraid of cherry picking esp when stores allow you to select the packs.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Picked up two packs of Quotable Star Trek: Voyager from one of my comics shops today(though not the one I work at) and pulled a Jennifer Lien autograph out of one of the packs Smile

Very pleased.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart has started selling Walking Dead cards in two pack peg packs. I picked up 3 packs got 6 packs of cards and pulled a Melissa McBride auto card. I was very happy because auto cards are 1:2000 packs for the retail packs.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Chris, great pull!

But...those weren't packs from an open box, since each pair of packs had their own packaging. All retail packs should be sold this way (or in mini-boxes). It's the only way to foil the retail pack searchers.

Beating the odds of 1:2000 is pretty impressive, but when the vast majority of the packs have all been searched, those odds increase dramatically.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post