Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well I noticed someone on ebay selling 36 sealed packs of LOST CARDS, not a BOX just the packs, but they said all Autographs and Piecworks have been removed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deza992450,

Posts: 32 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
It is MUCH easier with some sets/manufacturers than weighing the cards. No bending either... that is all I will say about it, but I agree with you - buying loose packs is a cr@p shoot.

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
Note that mentioning how to "cherry pick" boxes or backs is against the Card Talk rules.

Per the FAQ:
Q. I just discovered a way to locate the autograph card pack in the Primal Fuzzbusters Series One box! Can I post this?

Although there will always be people who try to circumvent the system by attempting to 'cherry-pick' or 'box-strip' packs out of opened boxes, we don't allow posting of such information on the board. It goes against the principles of fair chance, and since NSU is supported by card manufacturers through their advertising, we don't want to risk any of them losing business because of deceitful practices.

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tialessa:
Note that mentioning how to "cherry pick" boxes or backs is against the Card Talk rules.

Per the FAQ:
Q. I just discovered a way to locate the autograph card pack in the Primal Fuzzbusters Series One box! Can I post this?

Although there will always be people who try to circumvent the system by attempting to 'cherry-pick' or 'box-strip' packs out of opened boxes, we don't allow posting of such information on the board. It goes against the principles of fair chance, and since NSU is supported by card manufacturers through their advertising, we don't want to risk any of them losing business because of deceitful practices.

But we always hear people talking of cherry picking they've encountered and how they've seen people with hand-held weighing scales in retail outlets, or people bending packs or people guiding their fingernail down the side of packs, or people knowing what position hot packs were in within a box/case. Tim's post is hardly any different from what has gone before and I don't recall people being pulled up on it.

Scully: No. How much you're like Ahab. You're so... consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to your megalomaniacal cosmology.

Mulder: Scully, are you coming on to me?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
But we always hear people talking of cherry picking they've encountered and how they've seen people with hand-held weighing scales in retail outlets, or people bending packs or people guiding their fingernail down the side of packs, or people knowing what position hot packs were in within a box/case. Tim's post is hardly any different from what has gone before and I don't recall people being pulled up on it.

No poster names were mentioned in this instance, but the topic of cherry picking has come up more and more often, especially discussing specific details of it, and it IS against the FAQ...

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Look, we know cherry-picking goes on and is possible with some products. And that people use scales and other tactics to do it. But what we are not going to stand for is saying that "to find XYZ insert in ABC product, all you need to do is this". Anything like that will be removed.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrian1
posted Hide Post
As per my post on the identify yourself thread, I'm new to the board, and just returning to NS collecting. After reading some threads today I decided to drop into a comic store near my office and pick up a few packs, I think I did OK for loose packs (I'm normally a box guy)

3 packs Serenity:
Puzzle card R5

2 packs Complete DS9:
nada Frown

3 packs Fantastic Four:
Doom Shirt Costume Card Smile

2 packs LOTR Evolution:
Stained Glass S8 - Merry
Sketch - I'm not an expert so not sure who it is (one of the hobbits?), signature top right, is written tom 05. Any insight on this card appreciated, but happy to pull a sketch Big Grin

Not a bad run of luck, now I just need to find somewhere to kill the craving and buy a box.

Posts: 23 | Location: Great White North | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sketch - I'm not an expert so not sure who it is (one of the hobbits?), signature top right, is written tom 05. Any insight on this card appreciated,

I would guess it's a Hodges sketch. Have a look at this for lots of scans of sketches.

Jen

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrian1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and the link. Looks like you're right it's a Hodges, but there's not one like it on that site yet, so looks like I need to scan and send an e-mail. Thx again

Posts: 23 | Location: Great White North | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend purcased three packs from an opened box of Veronica Mars and got lucky. She got
A9 Max Greenfield as Leo D'Amato.

I'm really jealous cause I love Depty Leo.

Posts: 20 | Location: RI,USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
My local shop didn't have any non-sports left that was at all recent but they did have a box of John Wayne and the 3 Stooges open so I bought a bunch of each and got these:

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
Just went to a local card shop, havent opened up any loose packs in a while. Decided to try some of that breygent Three Stooges set outta of a nearly empty box. 3 packs, got a 1:40 shemp insert....and this.

Cynthia Cummens , only 10 colored sketchs made by her per card (so, 60 total i think are hand colored). Kinda neat. defintetly good trade bait or something. Now, if i can just pull this trick when opening LOTR monday!

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 packs of star wars AOTC widevision at £0.50 each from FP yielded a Silas Carson as Ki-Adi Mundi Auto. Cheap packs and a rare auto - woo hoo.

Posts: 46 | Location: UK | Registered: October 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I've just posted this in the open that box section but I think it should go here as well.

Well I purchased an opened box of Bond 40th Anniversay from Toys' R Us of all places( Confused) that had 8 packs left. They were priced at £3.99 each which is very steep but seeinga s it is a hard product to search I though why not its just about half the box and ther must be something good inside...

8 Contest cards (no 'D')
8 Extras cards
1 Villain card
2 Women cards
2 Autos cards(!), 1)Christopher Lee, 2) Joe Don Baker Elephant Elephant Elephant

I was so happy (because I needed the Baker) I jumped up and down, yes literally, until a rather bemused woman started staring at me. Big Grin

Obviously good pulls but the Baker had ding on the corner and RA have none to replace it with so fellow CardTalkers how would you feel?

Would you tell me to stop being stupid and happily stick this rare card in the collection until the end of time?
Or attempt to recoup some money selling it to put money towards a minter version? Which would still mean shelling out a lot of money doing so.

Am I being too anal here? Does a little imperfection really matter?

Scully: No. How much you're like Ahab. You're so... consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to your megalomaniacal cosmology.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
Ding or no I'd keep the card. It's too hard to replace.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
So you've got some refernce as to what it looks like, here is the front and back of the Baker:

Wolfie, you're not wrong - that is an onbscene amount of money for just 8 packs, but I just had a good feeling about them. Sounds crazy but it paid off. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gabfan
posted Hide Post
First good single pack pulls in a while for me. 4 packs of Star Trek art and images

My site is up finally!!!!
Darkslayer's Trading Page

Posts: 1241 | Location: USA | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi y`all !

I bought 46 loose packs of X-files Season 6/7 in my local comic shop in Frankfurt (Germany) last week. They were basically dumping the packs, I paid a total of 35 Euro. The force was with me, I found

5 puzzle cards
4 "Inside the Syndicate"
and
2 auto cards
(Michael McKean and Brian Thompson)

Lucky me.
:-)

Chris

Posts: 20 | Location: Mainz, Germany | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Local shop was blowing out some non sports at 1.00 a pack and I snagged the last 11 packs of buffy connections-
Parallels pulled-all have the BC before number-
2, 9, 13, 26, 31,32, 51, 54, 58, 61, 70

Heartbreaks-1:14
HB4-Angel and Buffy

Slayers Circle-1:11 puzzle piece
SC7-Dawn

They had LOTS of MIB II packs as well as POTA remake. They had a few Wild Wild West remake packs as well.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H.I.M.:
They had LOTS of MIB II packs as well as POTA remake. They had a few Wild Wild West remake packs as well.
And you left them Eek

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post