Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend buying loose packs from ebay as most are pretty shady about boxes not being searched. However doing sales of packs from an archive box might work as there is a certain seaquence with each pack and you'll know if you got one by the combination of cards, even with one that don't have any autos or costumes.

Posts: 97 | Location: Wauconda, IL | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Barry, I beliee the vast majority of posts in this topic refer to packs taken from boxes in stores.
Although some have had some luck on eBay, most Card Talkers alredy know better than to chance odd packs from there!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Wow, I feel like I haven't posted on CT in forever! Anyway, went to my local comic/card store yesterday, and bought the remaining 4 packs of Star Wars: Clone Wars, 4 packs of Enterprise Season 4, and a couple of packs each of Fantastic 4 and Batman begins.

Star Wars: Clone Wars yielded a very nice Palpatine sketch from Robert Teranishi, and Star Trek Enterprise... both autos (John Schuck/Antaak and Kara Sediker/T'Pau) and the costume card (Degra's shirt). I was very pleasantly surprised! Nothing exciting in the Batman and Fantastic 4 packs, but nice base cards anyway!

Have I already mentioned I love my local store?!

Later! Wave

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Martine,

You are lucky to have a local store! None near me.....

I have to rely on the occassional series of cards being carried at Wal-mart or such type of store.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike!

I know I'm lucky, and I must say that I've had quite a few really good pulls from this store! Although they had stopped getting new releases for several months, making me somewhat wondering where I'd get my previews of complete sets... Glad they're ordering them again Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by miket999:

I have to rely on the occassional series of cards being carried at Wal-mart or such type of store.

And those usually don't have the hobby version... Although in the case of Star Wars ROTS, I'd much rather have the retail version Wink

Later! Wave

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
My local comic shop moved a few doors down this week and put a whole bunch of box leftovers from about 15 different releases but the only one that interested me was the last 3 packs of Women of Sunnydale. Pulled a PW4 Tara Sweater pieceworks. Nice card except the gloss has started to peel at the bottom like thin sheet of plastic. I'm nervous now about all my WOS pieceworks and hoping this is an isolated incident and not something that'll happen to my other cards over time. I will, of course, contact Inkworks to see if they can replace it. Here's a pic, that line at the bottom is the peeling gloss.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
Oh oh! That's a scary thought. Eek

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I just bought a pack of Batman Begins and pulled the Batmobile Front Tyre memorabilia card... Big Grin
Here's the scan...

Au Res.,
Paul

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quaint1,

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Went back to my favorite store again - was driving by, the car just kinda found its way there...

Picked up 2 packs of Batman Begins and 2 packs of Fantastic Four. Got a Batman embossed foil card (4 of 5), and The Thing's flight suit pants costume (FF007, 091/399). Nice Thumb Up

Later Wave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martine,

Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Just got back from "The Wedding Crashers" (that was one funny movie Big Grin) so I stopped in my local comic shop and they had a mostly full box of Sopranos out so I grabbed 2 packs to open at home (at $5.25 a pack that was all I was going to get for sampling) and got 1 insert, a Kathrine Narducci autograph redemption card.

-Goethe

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
Got the last two packs of ROTS at Wal Mart tonight and got a Embossed Foil and a sticker Thumb Up

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RangerDutch
posted Hide Post
Noticed that there were 3 packs of Batman Begins packs left in a box at a local store. Bought 'em and pulled the front tire of the Batmobile. Very happy.

Xander: It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to.

Posts: 130 | Location: New England | Registered: August 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Stopped in at my local shop just to see if they had Men of Sunnydale in yet (they didn't) so I got a few odds and ends, 6 packs of Garbage pail kids 4, 4 packs of lost in space and 1 pack of elite football.

Lost in Space yieled 2 re-print cards, #'s 1 and 38 and a Will Robinson character card.

Garbage pail kids yielded 2 stickers #'s 6 of 10 and 9 of 10 and this Stephen Taylor sketch:

The football yielded a Patriots triple jersey card 079/100:

-Goethe

Picture of Daz
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Got a few good pulls from loose packs over time.

FOTR Gimli Auto from just 4 packs at a Forbidden Planet in Leeds. Dance

Buffy Season 7 Choa-ann Auto from about 3 packs also at FP

Angel Season 2 Lorne(Andy Hallett)Auto from about 12 loose packs also at FP

X-men 2 Wolverine costume and Jason-153 Auto from about 10 packs in a Sale at Travelling Man in Leeds.

All in all, it's if you trust your seller.
I don't get the chance to get to Leeds that much and don't manage to pick up loose packs as there are no Sellers near me.
The odd occasions that I've gotten them off e-bay, I've found that they've yeilded nothing.

Never mind. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes. Thumb Up

Posts: 15 | Location: Huddersfield, UK | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Grabbed 12 packs of Men of Sunnydale

58 of 81 base cards with 20 doubles (more than I was expecting)

Dressed to kill- DK9 (Angel)
Women Men Adore- WA-2 (Willow), WA-6 (Dawn)
Pieceworks- PW4, all black (I may send this one in when I finally send in my WOS Tara pieceworks as it has some chipping or curling of the plastic coating at the bottom)
Auto- A-6, Danny Strong

-Goethe

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i bought one pack of the family guy cards and got the Lois Griffin auto card. Thought that was pretty cool!

Posts: 8 | Location: Washington | Registered: July 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crazy good luck. I bought 2 packs of xfiles connections at FPI for £5 = $8 and pulled a haunted case card. But what i didnt notice until i got home was an AR-1 redemption for a Gillian Anderson auto. Unbelievable. That was yesterday. Went in again today to buy more and bought another 2 packs to see if this was a "hot box". When i then got a pieceworks mulder in one and a mulders secret files in the other i was amazed and figured the box must be full of inserts. Bought 4 more and got nothing - so the first 4 packs were just outrageous luck. Now to leave the redemption in the hands of the royal mail.......

Posts: 46 | Location: UK | Registered: October 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I bought 5 packs of Enterprise season 4 and got 1 Genesis card (G2), 1 Mirror card (M9) and 1 costume card (C4). There were base cards as well.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maxpower03
posted Hide Post
Alasdair, there are no "hot boxes" from Inkworks. The box you bought from was just a normal box, just your good luck I suppose.

Posts: 106 | Location: UK | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Four packs of Xena Quotable for £3.99: Words from the Bard B4, Xena In Motion M3 Big Grin

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post