Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Picture of OZcollect
posted Hide Post
Wow, you really have that down to a science. LOL

Posts: 79 | Location: Pensacola, Florida | Registered: May 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got another five packs of Harry Potter OOTP today and I pulled a foil card and a Warwick Davis auto redemption. Kind of sucks that I got a duplicate auto as I all ready pulled this card, but I am happy to get something! I may try and trade it for an auto redemption or costume that I don't have. Anyways, I am still really enjoying this set!

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
quote:
Originally posted by PaNdeM0niuM:
Question to those buying loose packs.

Do you Choose the packs?
or do you just accept the packs given to you by the shopkeeper?

In the shop I frequent they keep the boxes behind the counter but let people pick the packs but they make sure nobody feels or bends the packs. My personal favorite method is to buy 2 packs at a time, get 2 from the center of a row and if there is nothing I get 2 more from the same row, the middle again but 1 up and 1 down from the first 2 and so on. It seems the best way, the big card seems to rarely be the top or bottom pack (but not never). If I hit early and there is more than 1 big card per box I move to the 2nd row and repeat. It seems to work better than random % would . Once in a while the big card is the top or bottom pack and I end up opening a bunch of packs. lol

I have Never had any luck when choosing. I always seem to pick the wrong one.

This is why I buy sealed/unopened boxes. They may cost alot more. But at least I won't feel robbed.

Posts: 260 | Location: Downunder | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
congrats riddle

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I picked up 4 packs of Buffy 10th Anniversary and got the PW1 costume card and F-1 Foil card.
Of course, I'd bought 4 packs from the same box last week and got only base cards.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
Good pulls Raj and riddler_149! Smile

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
great pulls Smile

... I don't have much luck with packs either so I usually buy the sealed box. Not to mention the fact that packs can't be found where I live.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't normally EVER do single packs, to much of a risk, but while I was at Comic Con I was walking around with my little brother and a dealer had JUST opened up a box of Harry Potter Memorable Moments. My little brother just started collecting Potter (he collects the costume cards) so I let him pick a single pack for $5. He put it in his backpack and later that night in the room after opening up all the stuff in his Artbox Mystery tote he opened up the pack and then BAM.

THe last card in the pack was either a costume or prop # 180/180. He slowly turned it over and revealed that it was the Christmas Card prop card. Pretty cool swatch with some red stars on it. I traded him about 10 potter costumes he wanted for it so we both made out. But yeah, every once in a while those loose packs do pay off!

Posts: 685 | Location: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought packs in a while but I got the urge the other day. Went to a local comic book shop. All they had was Shrek the Third. Probably not my first choice but I figured why not. I picked up a handful of packs. When I went to check out the owner said they'd been sitting there forever. He ended up selling me 12 packs for $20. When I got home I opened and about half way through I pulled a Cynthia Cummens sketch. Needless to say I was really excited. I've seen a lot of her work in other sets but this is my first sketch card from her.

Posts: 31 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: September 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
When I got home I opened and about half way through I pulled a Cynthia Cummens sketch. Needless to say I was really excited.
That's awesome, congrats! Thumb Up

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Shaffer:
THe last card in the pack was either a costume or prop # 180/180. He slowly turned it over and revealed that it was the Christmas Card prop card. Pretty cool swatch with some red stars on it. I traded him about 10 potter costumes he wanted for it so we both made out. But yeah, every once in a while those loose packs do pay off!
Very nice. Thumb Up

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
brilliants finds

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bryan Shaffer
Posted August 05, 2007 09:59 PM Hide Post
I don't normally EVER do single packs, to much of a risk, but while I was at Comic Con I was walking around with my little brother and a dealer had JUST opened up a box of Harry Potter Memorable Moments. My little brother just started collecting Potter (he collects the costume cards) so I let him pick a single pack for $5. He put it in his backpack and later that night in the room after opening up all the stuff in his Artbox Mystery tote he opened up the pack and then BAM.

lol i am watching your card on the auction site at the minute to bid on lol

posted Hide Post
buying loose packs on ebay?
should I?? or shouldn't I?

sometimes I see 15pack lots or 20unopened packs.

Posts: 260 | Location: Downunder | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes if they are cheap, just don't expect to find any auto's etc in them and you cannot be dissapointed.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Yes if they are cheap, just don't expect to find any auto's etc in them and you cannot be dissapointed.

that sucks, I was really hoping to pull a miracle card.
so sealed boxes are a safer option?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I bought these yesterday:

4 packs of Buffy 10th - nothing, not even a chase card
3 packs of Star Wars 30th - Richard LeParmentier Auto
3 Packs of Harry Potter(don't even remember which set) - nothing
3 packs of Quotable DS9 - C20 Promenade Banner
3 Packs of James Bond Die Another Day - Michael Madsen auto

The best part about the Bond auto was that these packs were in the $1/pack bin because there were only a few left! Big Grin

And, these are all coming with me to Dee's show in two weeks for trading!

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

that sucks, I was really hoping to pull a miracle card.
so sealed boxes are a safer option?

Err, yes upto a point, depends on who you are buying them off.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
5 packs of Quotable DS9 and one Buffy 10th.

Buffy- nada.
DS9- F2 Nana Visitor as Colonel Kira- 334/399, DSN5, DSN8.

Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Back to the local shop to see if they had any SW 30th to tide me over until my case arrives, no such luck, but they had DS9 so I grabbed 4 packs. No auto or costume cards but I did get Star Trek's Finest F8 (Quark) 042/399.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post