Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
I purchased the last 5 packs of Star Wars/Clone Wars Widevision at the local Target store and was surprised to find a Matthew Wood as Battle Droids - autograph card. I tried to purchase 1 Binder/Promo card, but was notified by Topps that they are out of stock. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mister E.,

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Picked up four packs of Lost Season 1 thru 5 this afternoon and pulled: Flashforward FF3, L9 (Cargo ship blowing up) and Alan Dale as Charles Whitmore auto.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
One of my stores is having some kind of card blowout with packs for a quarter, so I bought about 8.00 worth of packs from series I don't usually collect like Enterprise, Wild Wild West, and Wolverine: Origins. Did fairly well, pulled three autographs-

Enterprise Season Two: Matt Winston (which I have now found out was a limited card and to top it off he is Stan Winston's son and was in Wes Craven's New Nightmare)

Wild Wild West: Richard Kiel

Wolverine: Origins: Daniel Henney (which is unfortunately damaged)

There were also other miscellaneous inserts sprinkled in

Not too bad for 32 packs for a quarter each. Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Purchased 2 packs of Women of Star Trek today and got a Kitty Swink auto from an episode of Star TrekBig GrinS9. I was pretty pleased.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
One of my stores is having some kind of card blowout with packs for a quarter, so I bought about 8.00 worth of packs from series I don't usually collect like Enterprise, Wild Wild West, and Wolverine: Origins. Did fairly well, pulled three autographs-

Enterprise Season Two: Matt Winston (which I have now found out was a limited card and to top it off he is Stan Winston's son and was in Wes Craven's New Nightmare)

Wild Wild West: Richard Kiel

Wolverine: Origins: Daniel Henney (which is unfortunately damaged)

There were also other miscellaneous inserts sprinkled in

Not too bad for 32 packs for a quarter each. Smile

Val

Same store had dug out some Quotable TNG packs (but not at 25 cents each), so I took a chance and bought the 9 they had left- pulled the following:

CB5
ST8
TV3

and

Marina Sirtis as Counselor Deanna Troi autograph card- Elephant

which was in the very last TNG pack I opened. I was stoked!

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
Marina Sirtis as Counselor Deanna Troi autograph card- Elephant

which was in the very last TNG pack I opened. I was stoked!

Val

Boy you're doing well with these loose packs. I bought an open box of WOST2010 that had 18 packs left. I didn't get one autograph or costume card. Now tell me those packs weren't searched! Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now tell me those packs weren't searched! Big Grin

Those... packs... weren't... searched...

No, I don't believe myself either Frown

Posts: 213 | Location: SY, England | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Seeing as Rittenhouse autos are usually in either the top half or bottom half of the box, it could be you were just unlucky.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
I found a gravity feed box of Garbage Pail Kids Flashback at a near by out of town Target today and I picked up five packs. In the forth pack I pulled a gold parallel, which is 1:42 packs Clap It was card #65b.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darth Vader Fan,

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pumpkindiver
posted Hide Post
5 packs of stargate heroes at supernova today. 2 Atlantis cards, 1 in motion card, 1 SGU card....... And an Amanda Tapping auto costume card. Reasonably happy

Posts: 154 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MadCow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:
I found a gravity feed box of Garbage Pail Kids Flashback at a near by out of town Target today and I picked up five packs. In the forth pack I pulled a gold parallel, which is 1:42 packs Clap It was card #65b.

Congrats! I've had good luck with the Gold Parallels but have yet to pull a sketch or plate.

Posts: 134 | Location: Lakewood, NJ | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkindiver:
5 packs of stargate heroes at supernova today. 2 Atlantis cards, 1 in motion card, 1 SGU card....... And an Amanda Tapping auto costume card. Reasonably happy

Only reasonably ? Blimey, you are tough to please ! Eek

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batjay
posted Hide Post
I had a stroke of luck at my Target today. They had a gravity feed box of the Iron Man 2 cards. It looked like it had been rummaged through so I didn't expect much. I bought 2 packs anyways and ended up pulling a sketch card of Nick Fury by Dave Strong. I'm pretty excited about it.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
good for you Batjay Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've had the craziest luck with packs this week.

On Sunday and on Tuesday, I bought two packs each of Marvel 70th just for the heck of it (from different stores) which yielded these:

a Fin Fang Foom sketch by Don Hillsman II who I found out was an Extremely Limited artist and a Sif sketch by Alcione da Silva who is a Very Limited artist. Needless to say, I was excited.

Today, I decided to buy two more packs of 70th Marvel at a different 3rd store and then later today I got three Iron Man II packs which yielded these:

Another extremely limited sketch by Sonny Strait and #10 in the "70 Years of Corner Boxes!" series and a sweet Iron Man sketch by Jon Sommariva.

Needless to say- I am kinda thrilled with all the sketch luck.

Some may be for trade, others may not. Depends how I feel.

Val

Picture of Monsterama2000
posted Hide Post
I was in Target today and bought one pack of "The Legend of KISS" trading cards and pulled a Rock Star Relic. #RRPS3 - an authentic swatch from a vest worn by Paul Stanley. Dance

Posts: 120 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My son bought a couple of packs of trading cards cards Star Wars Revenge of the Sith and they were in the "cheap bin" at Forbidden Planet (they were having a massive throwout inc trading cards.....
He got a sketch card of Princess Leia not bad for 20p a pack.

Posts: 6 | Location: Europe | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I have been lucky a few times.

I have pulled an Indiana Jones: KotCS Sketch card from packs at my local comic book store and a Star Wars Heritage Sketch from Forbidden Planet in Glasgow, Scotland.

I have never pulled an Autograph or Pieceworks card without buying a sealed box.

Anne, at 20p a pack I would have cleaned out the Forbidden Planet. Nice one!

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Ran to Target at lunch for some household items, was in the mood to open some packs so I picked up 3 Twilight Eclipse packs, 3 Iron Man 2 packs, and a 2010 Panini Prestige Football pack. $15 total. I was quite surprised to pull this masterpiece:

I think I will have a beer and celebrate! Smile Big Grin Cool Clap

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Holy guacamole Batman, that is a NICE sketch!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post