Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Picture of Dunkelzahn
posted Hide Post
Hi folks,went to one of the swapmeets in vegas with my fiance and bought 5 random packs of harry potter POA update and pulled a Dawn French auto and the sirius wanted poster prop card,needless to say i was jumping for joy! Smile

Posts: 22 | Location: Ulthar | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't matter. If I pull an auto card or even chase cards out of random packs, I tend to va;ue them more than being guaranteed one by buying a box, even if it is more expensive. Somehow beating the odds tends to make the experience worth the while...

That is exactly my view! Somehow, there is more fun and excitement in pulling a nice card from a randomly selected pack than from a box! OK, so there is still going to be a 'Woo-Hoo!' moment if you pull a Roddenberry cut card from a box, but the "Woo-Hoo!" will be louder and more heartfelt if you picked it out of just one pack pulled on a whim from a shop counter!
Which is why, I suspect, this topic is still going! Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Picked up 3 Packs of Supernatural and 8 packs of Star Trek 40th anniversary.

Supernatural- Searching S-2 and Julie Benz auto A-4

Star Trek 40th- Faces of Vina (1:20) FV6, Expansion set #79 Alien Abduction (1:40), Star Trek Portraits, Spock PT2 (1:40), Kathryn Hays as Gem auto (Limited).

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Two packs of LOTR Masterpeces and found one of the Etched Foil cards in each pack. I know they are 1:6 but I'm still quite pleased (though I'd rather have pulled a sketch card - next time perhaps!)
Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
The last few months have yielded some interesting pulls for me out of packs.

X-Men 3: Two different stores and I think it must have been four packs(two from each store)-
Haley Ramm as Young Jean Grey and Aaron Stanford as Pyro.

Buffy, TVS: Memories: (These are the three PWs I have pulled over a series of packs though I do not remember how many packs it took me to get these.) Rona's Overalls, Molly's Pajama Bottoms, and PR-1 Andrew's Jacket- Stripe variation.

Also pulled some other chase but don't remember quite what.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dunkelzahn
posted Hide Post
Went to the swapmeet yet again,and bought 10 Lord of the Rings chrome packs and pulled a Bruce Hopkins Auto,Muha Smile

Posts: 22 | Location: Ulthar | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Went to my local comic shop this afternoon and picked up the following.

The last 8 packs of Buffy Memories and pulled R2 and R9.
Also picked up five packs of Doctor Who Companions,Doctors and Villains and pulled DWT-A10 Zienia Merton as Ping-Cho auto card.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Ged
posted Hide Post
bought 60 loose packs off xena & hercules off the bay and got 2 of the muthical beasts (1:60) and a load of other chase cards so i was rather pleased with that Big Grin

Posts: 562 | Location: Liverpool UK | Registered: March 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Victory_is_Mine!!
posted Hide Post
I always was going to post this and never got around to it, but seeing as how the card may be leaving my collection soon I figured it would mean more as it is still in my possession for now.

April 2005 I was in one of the local hobby shops & had just finished opening one of the worst $100 pile of sportscard packs I had ever bought. I couldn't leave on that note, so I grabbed a handful of LOTR Packs out of a box, and 10 or so packs of Twilight Zone 4. The LOTR packs didn't yield anything special, but the Twilight Zone packs started off with a Russell Johnson Autograph. I was talking to one of the workers while I finished opening the packs and my heart almost stopped when I saw a piece of a signature embedded in one of the cards. It was one of the cut Rod Serling Autos. I almost bent it in half in my grip while trying to set it down on the counter.
Definately the best pull of my 30 + year collecting life, and out of a box with probably less than 20 packs left in it. Very cool experience.

Posts: 86 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ribeyespud
posted Hide Post
Good for you Victory_is_Mine!!! you B Da Man! It sure is cool when ya pays your money and takes your chances and it finally pays off. I feel that way about some great pulls I was able to get thanks to the good people at the local comic/card shop I go to. They knew I was looking for a box of frankenstein cards and went out of their way to give me first shot at it. I felt like a kid again when I pulled a prop card #32/50 AND a filmcard. Not as cool as yours perhaps but their kindness to consider me first made it a very cool experience. Thumb Up

Posts: 177 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice going Victory_is_Mine!!! and Ribeyespud! Both of your pulls are awesome, though the Sterling pull is especially special. I hope to have that type of luck someday!

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Victory was YOURS!!!

Pulling the cut signature Sterling was the pull of a lifetime.... Congrats! Bouncey

Posts: 419 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: October 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
In no way does this compare to a Serling auto, but got three packs of BTVS Memories and pulled a Willow PW! I wanted one of those so badly and now she's mine!

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Great finds. It's nice when you get a surprise like that. Smile

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
congrats to everyone,
why don't I have a cardshop here Frown

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
My first pull of the New Year - I bought three packs of Lost Season 2 from my Local Store and got the PW7 card - a piece of Charlie's shirt! Sadly, it doesn't have part of the tree design; it's just plain cream, but a nice find anyway!
Au Res.,
Paul

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
My first pull of the New Year - I bought three packs of Lost Season 2 from my Local Store and got the PW7 card - a piece of Charlie's shirt! Sadly, it doesn't have part of the tree design; it's just plain cream, but a nice find anyway!
Au Res.,
Paul

"The hand" is back. Cool.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of meatwagon
posted Hide Post
I bought the last 5 packs of Firefly my local shop had and pulled a Dr. Simon Tam auto.And yesterday bought 4 packs of Serenity and pulled a pieceworks for "The Operative".The thrill of the hunt is fun but the rewards can be really cool.

Posts: 218 | Location: Ca. USA | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
I randomly bought seven packs of X2: X-Men United cards around a fortnight ago, and pulled a Colossus auto. Was quite pleased.

Haven't had so much look with any other random packs I've bought, though. I prefer buying boxes, since it costs less in the long run.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by meatwagon:
I bought the last 5 packs of Firefly my local shop had and pulled a Dr. Simon Tam auto.And yesterday bought 4 packs of Serenity and pulled a pieceworks for "The Operative".The thrill of the hunt is fun but the rewards can be really cool.
SHINY! Clap I'm very jealous of both finds. Drool

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post