Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It's 2008. It was released recently.

xman25

Posts: 58 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi millhouse here i bought 12 packets of the spirit movie cards today from forbidden planet in central london at got the following

1) 55 of the 72 card base set

2) 1 puzzle card ( SC2 of 9 )

3) 1 My City Screams ( MC.1 ) of 3

4) and a sketch card SK2 Chris Moreno

well happy Elephant

Posts: 757 | Location: london england | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I bought about 20 packs of Lost season 3 which were being sold off by my local card store for just 25p (Yes thats right 25p) PER pack! So I wiped em out but figured all the good cards were probably gone- hence the sudden reduction.

Well I was happily suprised!

I got nearly an entire base set and...

Autograph card: A26: Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet Elephant

AND

Pieceworks card: PW4: Elizabeth Mitchell's top Elephant

ANNND...

Through The Looking Glass: LG1 (1:36 packs!) Metal

What finds! Bouncey

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
I have nobody to blame but myself...

I went to a "local" shop to buy some supplies. They had a fresh opened box of Indy Masterpieces. 1 pack opened and singles displayed, and then 2 other packs missing.

Went through the whole box and didnt get either sketch. After it was all said and done I realized I should have seen it comming because I know a pack searcher that shops there. The owner isnt there as often because he needed to get a "2nd job" so its the wife running the store and shes completely oblivious to pack searching.

So I got home and checked this guys ebay id and sure enough, 2 Indy Masterpiece sketch cards currently running.

I paid for the packs and I left them there. I wasnt gonna stiff them and I know "thems the breaks" etc etc but the fact that it was a pack searcher burns me.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
That really sucks HIM... hopefully the new year will usher better luck for you and really bad karma/luck for the cherry picking jerk.

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its typical that it happens, even in places where the store owner should be watching. Buying from an open box is great when you make the right pulls, but when you come up empty you feel like kicking yourself. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Its typical that it happens, even in places where the store owner should be watching. Buying from an open box is great when you make the right pulls, but when you come up empty you feel like kicking yourself. Wink

I did that once.

Never Again...

...even if there were still card stores down here. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
The shop I normally buy packs from is pretty vigilant about pack searching so I trust that one 100%.

I just know I cant trust the closer one anymore on opened products.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
My shop recently had some Six Feet Under packs in their $1.00 bin, so I bought the last 3 and pulled an autograph card. Can't remember who it was(not one of the main characters), but who cares for $3.00?

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you have a shop near you that has non sport cards!

/jealous

Posts: 20 | Location: PNW | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought five packs (don't ask the price) of 2005 Benchwarmer Signature Series at a comic book store. I got:

4 Regular autos (1:1), 1 Red Back auto(1:24) (Limited Print, # to 100), and 1 Locker Room insert (1:4):

There are six packs left at the store. If I can sell one of my organs I'll buy them.

xman25

Posts: 58 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Darth Smittyous
posted Hide Post
A local card shop has had a open box of 2007 Marvel Masterpieces for a while. It has tempted me for months, so today I bought what was left out of the box. There were five packs missing, so I was afraid that the sketch had been cherry picked.

I was wrong... there were actually two sketches!!!

and amazingly...

Clap Bouncey Metal Dance Elephant Luv You Drool

I also pulled the following chase:

6 gold foil parallels
25 foil parallels
6 Spider-Man subset cards (1 is foil parallel)
10 X-Men subset cards (4 are foil parallel)
2 Alex Ross cards
1 Art Adams card
1 Drew Struzan card

I can't believe I pulled an Allison Sohn sketch, since, if I remember correctly, she only did 20 for this set. I don't know the artist of the other sketch, but it is nice as well. I'm totally happy for taking a chance on this open box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darth Smittyous,

Posts: 65 | Location: VA | Registered: February 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Smittyous:

I don't know the artist of the other sketch, but it is nice as well.

Looks like Chris Bachalo. Don't know what he's doing now but I know he used the X-Men title Generation X.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, I bought two single packs of American Idol Season 3 from the $.99 box at work (Target). One of the packs held a Jasmine Trias "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" auto. I guess that counts in this thread?

Posts: 127 | Location: Schaumburg, IL | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
I bought the last three packs of Star Trek: Movies in Motion at one of the comic shops I go to and pulled two portrait cards and the David Warner autograph. Smile

Not bad. Big Grin

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
You have the gift, Val! Wink

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
You guys have a gift to live in a city where they actually sell non sports cards.

Picture of eng621
posted Hide Post
Picked up 6 packs of Star Wars Galaxy 4 at Target. I got an etched foil, 2 silver & 1 bronze foil, & a Howard Shum Sketch card.

Posts: 113 | Location: Yorkville,IL., USA | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anjee
posted Hide Post
Eek wow eng621- that's a heckuva haul for 6 packs! congrats!

Posts: 310 | Location: madison,wi | Registered: January 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last night me and the wife went by target,and my little girl wanted some cards. so i grabbed 6 packs of the new spongebob packs from the gravity box. later when we were making dinner she was opening her packs,and said"who did this?". she pulled a paul tibbitt spongebob sketch and a sponge card too.my wife laughed becausei have been trying to pull a sketch card from swg4,and she gets this in 6 packs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: batmantdk,

Posts: 25 | Location: richmond , va | Registered: February 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post