Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
Had a miracle day today. Sports card shop was blowing out the product. all the remainder packs 1 dollar each, like 50 packs total. bought em all. Hit 5 autographs and 2 costume/prop cards, including a annabeth gish auto very limited from x-files connections and a liv tyler from Return of the king. and the prop card was a very nice fizzing whizbees variant. the other autos were mostly star trek minor characters, but it was very very fun to sit in my car and hope with each pack, was like being a kid again.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Natalie
posted Hide Post
Whoa! Zhamlau! That is beyond awesome!
Wish I had a local shop...*sigh*
Anyway, welcome to the board! Wavey

Posts: 310 | Location: Louisville | Registered: October 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I love this thread.
I visited some shops this weekend and bought 18 packs of Serenity. No autos, no costumes, no Women of Serenity.

Monday I swung by a shop and picked up 2 more packs, got the auto I wanted the most, Gina Torres.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
great finds for you zhamlau Thumb Up
As mentioned,welcome aboard have fun and enjoy your stay Wave

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well done, you must have had a nice time opening those. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
Bought two packs of Serenity today. Pulled the Nathan Fillion A1 autograph. I really didn't have much interest in this set, but the box had been sitting at the local comic shop for several weeks with only a couple of packs missing. It just seemed to be calling out to me to try my luck.

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prospect5k:
Bought two packs of Serenity today. Pulled the Nathan Fillion A1 autograph. I really didn't have much interest in this set, but the box had been sitting at the local comic shop for several weeks with only a couple of packs missing. It just seemed to be calling out to me to try my luck.

Now that is a sweet pulll! I know female (and male) Browncoats all over the world who would love to have your luck (and that card).

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The picture of me hugging Jewel Staite at Blackpool is all I need....better than any auto card.

Posts: 687 | Location: Manchester UK | Registered: September 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidJohnston:
The picture of me hugging Jewel Staite at Blackpool is all I need....better than any auto card.

MMMMM.... Jewel Smile

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of doggonit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I love this thread.
I visited some shops this weekend and bought 18 packs of Serenity. No autos, no costumes, no Women of Serenity.

Monday I swung by a shop and picked up 2 more packs, got the auto I wanted the most, Gina Torres.

I hate this thread Frown
I have no stores anywhere near me that sell any packs of anything - so to read about great store finds makes me so envious.
only source of packs for me would be ebay, and I really don't fancy that
( "guaranteed" maybe, but otherwise no )

Smile

Posts: 717 | Location: uk | Registered: April 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have stores and they sell loose packs sometimes quite cheaply and i still would not buy them.

Sad really but comes from knowing too much. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
doggonit wrote: I hate this thread
I have no stores anywhere near me that sell any packs of anything - so to read about great store finds makes me so envious.

Think of all the money you're saving :-) by not wasting your money on mostly basic cards which you can pick up a set of for maybe $2-3.

Posts: 687 | Location: Manchester UK | Registered: September 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of doggonit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidJohnston:
doggonit wrote: I hate this thread

Think of all the money you're saving :-) by not wasting your money on mostly basic cards which you can pick up a set of for maybe $2-3.

true Smile
I guess you don't hear about the many hundreds of packs purchased that yield nothing

Posts: 717 | Location: uk | Registered: April 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Today after buying Batman Begins on DVD, I had abit of spare time so popped into my Local Forbidden Planet.

There were a few boxes of cards, Charmed, ROTS, W.O.B. in Motion and Batman Begins. Normally I don't buy loose packs becasue its usually not cost effective and I've always come away empty handed. But I thought seeing as I was in a Batman mood, what with the DVD and what I've seen of the cards I liked, I thought why not?

I asked for 1 pack (£2.75) and was given one from the bottom, (they were in what was much like a paper towel dispenser) but I asked the lady if she'd mind if I took one from the top instead.
However the packet only had 3 cards. But I wasn't bothered because one of them was Batmans' Cape! Clap

I showed the card to the girl behind the desk who thought it was cool, she said where she used to work she'd open box after box of diff. cards and get really excited at the mere flash of a foil.
So for all the cynics out there, there are still 'large' shops that employ staff with knowledge of non-sport cards and yet boxes aren't cherry picked.

Smile

Scully: No. How much you're like Ahab. You're so... consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to your megalomaniacal cosmology.

Mulder: Scully, are you coming on to me?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of dlpn1fan
posted Hide Post
One Pack...Excellent Thumb Up

Posts: 751 | Location: Pomona CA | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Well done X Thumb Up

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Wolfie breaks his own rule. Eek

I was just in Forbidden Planet in Wolverhampton and looked at all the packs of cards as usual.

Noticed all the Complete DS9 packs on sale at 25p per pack so i had them all. 20 packs for £5.

If i don't find anything good in them you lot have had it. Twak

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
Well Stu, I bought a load of these from the Derby shop when it was Another World (now FP) and pulled two auto's from them so you ought to find something decent.

Heres hoping !

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Results.. Shake Head

Autos 0
Costumes 0
Gallery 0
Alt Realities 0

Ships 2
Allies 8
Commons Millions.

If anybody needs anything from this set speak now.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:
Results.. Shake Head

Autos 0
Costumes 0
Gallery 0
Alt Realities 0

Ships 2
Allies 8
Commons Millions.

If anybody needs anything from this set speak now.

Aww sorry you didn't get any good pulls, but find me a card collector who can resist sealed packs for £0.25 and i'll shake their hand Wink

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post