Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I bought a total of 3 packs...opening them in the car, not one by one in the shop. So nobody saw the seated happy dance.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igman7:
My trip to the comic shop today netted me this...

Congrats...
Not may shops left around Tinley or Orland. Was it AF by chance?

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
Pulled this Jamie Snell sketch from the local comic shop today. If you happen to have the other half please send me an email. Thanks!

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brimaster:
quote:

Congrats...

Yup. I will stop in Orland, Frankford and Lockport from time to time.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Brimaster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brimaster:
quote:

Congrats...

Yup. I will stop in Orland, Frankford and Lockport from time to time.

They only have a box or so most of the time and I figured if anyone cherry picked boxes it would be them. Although it probably depends on which AF.

Posts: 855 | Location: Somewhere | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
I have had fairly good luck in their stores...I pulled a Pence Aragorn from LOTR M1 and some other nicies over the last couple of years.

Picture of MadCow
posted Hide Post
I stopped in a Five Below store on my lunch break not even knowing they carried cards. At the checkout I found 6 loose LOTR: Evolution packs so I bought them. In the second to last pack I found the Galadriel's Grey Haven's Cloak (1:184) memorabilia card. Needless to say I was suprised... Metal

Posts: 134 | Location: Lakewood, NJ | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Nice pull, Madcow! Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ferrerstuff
posted Hide Post
I think I might have taken this whole "buying loose packs" to the extreme. This past weekend a local comic book store was having a huge blowout sale of items from their storage room because they are losing the space.

I bought a large box that had 400+ loose packs for $8. The packs ranged from fantasty art, star trek, star wars, comic, anime, movie, etc. Here are some notable pulls from the packs:

Boris 4 - Medaliion Card (#1573)
Battle of the Planets -
Autos
Angel Medina #A-1 (#605/1000)
Dan Brereton #A-4 (#67/1000)
Jason Hofius #A-6 (#822/1000)
J. Scott Campbell #A-8 (#16/1000)
Brian Rood #A-11 (#213/1000)
Dan Parsons #A-13 (#472/1000)
Sketch Cards -
Wilson Tortusa (Tiny) #557/2000
Wilson Tortusa (Princess) #1677/2000
Top Cow Universe -
Autos -
#5 Randy Green #95/699
#8 J.D. Smith #291/699
Sketch Card -
Matt Busch (Aphrodite IX) #143/300

I was also able to buy eight unopened boxes for $3 each. Most notable an unopened 1994 Fleer Amazing Spider-Man. Pretty good buy for around $30.

Posts: 111 | Location: S.F./Bay Area | Registered: June 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Right place, right time, sounds like you had a blast. Smile

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I hit my local shop on the way to see the Hulk movie tonight. I ended up getting 10 packs of BSG and 10 packs of LOTR Masterpieces 2 as well as some random sportscard packs.

Here's the noteworthy results:

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
That's really nice load of pulls - well done Incarnadine. I'm not a fan of odd packs but wish everyone well who buy cards like this.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Purchased 4 packs of The Complete Star Trek Voyager and got the following:

H5 - The French Resistance.
F7 - Devore.
PA6 - Nicholas Worth as 'Lonzac' Autograph.

Smile

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I was downtown again so I decided to try my luck with the other row in the LOTR Masterpieces 2 box. 9 packs in I pulled another pretty good sketch by Steven Miller. I'm shocked that neither sketch in that box was a Waterhouse. Eek

-Goethe

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Hit a shop up and found a box of 04 clone wars in a dusty corner and ripped a few packs-

Also got one of the motion cards that I really liked and Im tempted to do the set.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nevets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
I was downtown again so I decided to try my luck with the other row in the LOTR Masterpieces 2 box. 9 packs in I pulled another pretty good sketch by Steven Miller. I'm shocked that neither sketch in that box was a Waterhouse. Eek

nice pull....what great luck!

I bought myself two boxes of this product and NEITHER had a waterhouse OR woodside!! and one had a Jeff Carslile! (best break ever)

Posts: 168 | Location: Portland | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of TheUberBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HIM:
Hit a shop up and found a box of 04 clone wars in a dusty corner and ripped a few packs-

I like that! It's simple, but iconic.

-Bob-

Posts: 2767 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Picking up some supplies today I saw my local shop had a box of Hammer Horror cards so I grabbed 8 packs to see if I could pull the sketch. No sketch but I did get this auto:

-Goethe

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My boyfriend and I went to the mall yesterday and on impulse picked up 13 packs of cards from a rack. 5 Supernatural Connections, 5 Battlestar Season 3, and 3 Harry Potter 3D second edition. From those, we pulled:

Auto redemption Loretta Divine as Missouri Mosely
Autograph Tiffany Lyndall-Knight as the Hybrid
Costume C2 Gryffindor Students

Nothing really high-end, but I can't believe we pulled one of the main inserts from all three sets we purchased, with so few packs of each. It was fun! We also got three or four regular inserts. Smile

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Arvin Sloane
posted Hide Post
Definitely a very pleasant surprise to pull what you did I'm sure. Thumb Up

Posts: 2206 | Location: SD6 Headquarters | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post