Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
If the auction doesn't say "these packs have not been 'searched'" I assume that they probably were.

..................and if it does say that still assume they probably were as they allmost certainly have been.

Cynical or what? Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I saw my comic shop had 3 packs of Donruss Americana for $1/pack, so I bought them. Inside was a Dom Deluise #25/25 proof. I'll probably end up trading it, but not bad for $1.00!

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoCal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jane:
I saw my comic shop had 3 packs of Donruss Americana for $1/pack, so I bought them. Inside was a Dom Deluise #25/25 proof. I'll probably end up trading it, but not bad for $1.00!

I wish I had a comic shop around me where I could establish a trusting business relationship. I would much rather shop in a real store as opposed to the internet.

I'm located in Temecula, California. Anyone know of a shop that carries cards within short driving distance?

Posts: 59 | Location: USA | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is Frank and Sons warehouse in Walnut. It a good hour away from you but both non-sports dealers there are good guys.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoCal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LUZNDAVE:
Your best bet is Frank and Sons warehouse in Walnut. It a good hour away from you but both non-sports dealers there are good guys.

I've heard of them before and actually looked on their web site. I didn't realize they had non-sports dealers there. I know exactly where they are located since I grew up about 5 minutes from there. Guess I'll finally have to make the trip! :-) Thanks for the tip LUZNDAVE!

Posts: 59 | Location: USA | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
If the auction doesn't say "these packs have not been 'searched'" I assume that they probably were.

..................and if it does say that still assume they probably were as they allmost certainly have been.

Cynical or what? Eek

Definitely cynical, and I'd surely put you in the "what?" category.

The point was, it might take a bit of work, but it may be possible to find a seller who *doesn't* search beforehand. If you want to do a lot of by-the-pack buying, it could be worth the effort to find that person and give them your custom frequently in the future.

I've had reasonable luck with sellers who put together box-size lots of loose packs that resulted from unsold remnants of boxes that were opened in shops. They don't search the stuff themselves after they pick them up from distributors or closeouts, though they can't possibly guarantee that nobody used a scale or calipers earlier.

I've also found some sellers who sell off odd-lots of searched packs, and they might be a bargain if you hanker to open some packs. I wouldn't pay anywhere near MSRP because I don't expect to find a triple autograph sketch relic card, but it's a fun way to build a mini-master set. Nobody searches packs for the low-end inserts.

I once won an auction for a couple of unopened boxes and one item was missing from the shipment. The seller corrected the problem, and said he'd also make sure that the box he sent came from a fresh unsearched case. Maybe I can applaud the honesty, but I won't buy unopened boxes from that seller again.

Not all of the 'searching' is highly organized. Not everybody carries a precision scale with them to their local WalMart. A random patron might sense a thick costume or relic card, but packs with autographs or sketches would usually be missed. Some sellers even think that they are in the business to provide value and service and *want* their patrons to have the same chances to make a big pull as everybody else.

So I too am cynical when I deal for the first time with a seller I don't know. But if somebody treats me right, I'll come back.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoCal
posted Hide Post
This is a great topic and a lot of excellent points have been made by all. Building trust in this day and age is much tougher than it was in the 60's and if your approach to life when dealing with people is to trust first until actions dictate otherwise, then you will suffer many letdowns. Trust, like respect must be earned.

For me, what it all boils down to is being able to trust your supplier. In my opinion the best way to build that trust is to deal with a person face to face. That approach has served me well throughout my 53 years of existence. The problem with non-sports cards is, for me, a lack of stores to go to and so I'm stuck with the internet and while I have had many good experiences with individual web site owners, that has not been the case with eBay sellers. That's not to say that eBay sellers can not be trusted with regards to selling packs from searched boxes but it is much more difficult a task to do so since all you have to look at is a seller ID and feedback from a less than perfect system. So I guess I'll finally give Frank & Sons a try. Again thanks to all for the great posts.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SoCal:

............... I guess I'll finally give Frank & Sons a try. Again thanks to all for the great posts.

Hi SoCal,
Have you tried Comics and Stuff located in North County Fair? They carry a decent amount of nonsports cards in addition to comics and other collectibles - I know as they hauled a ton of stuff from their East County stores to the one in Escondido.

Frank and Sons is the best of a good bet, but try Comics and Stuff too.

NL

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoCal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NL:
quote:

............... I guess I'll finally give Frank & Sons a try. Again thanks to all for the great posts.

Hi SoCal,
Have you tried Comics and Stuff located in North County Fair? They carry a decent amount of nonsports cards in addition to comics and other collectibles - I know as they hauled a ton of stuff from their East County stores to the one in Escondido.

NL

Thanks NL...North County Fair is much closer to me than Frank & Sons. Also I dabble in a little bit of everything including comics so your tip has me very eager to check it out. Thanks again. Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NL:
quote:

Hi SoCal,

NL

Thanks NL...North County Fair is much closer to me than Frank & Sons. Also I dabble in a little bit of everything including comics so your tip has me very eager to check it out. Thanks again. Smile

It's a good store. They don't always have the greatest of collections of new cards, but often if you can't find something, you can ask them to check their other stores, and if they have it they can transfer it up to that store for you. It's a little know secret Smile

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Few days ago I bought the last 11 packs in a box of 'Batman Archives' at a comic book store and pulled this out of the first pack:

I believe that is Killer Croc. The artist is Rick Stasi. He did 100 sketches for the set.

xman25

Posts: 58 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Went to the shop I hit to see if they got their Indy Masterpieces in and they hadnt so I settled for a few packs of FF4 and Twilight

Katie Power by Adam Cleveland

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HIM:
Went to the shop I hit to see if they got their Indy Masterpieces in and they hadnt so I settled for a few packs of FF4 and Twilight

Katie Power by Adam Cleveland

wow, a powerpack sketch? now that is cool

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
So I go to my local comics shop today and they had gotten in some of the new Trek cards- I know the odds on chases are high for this series, so I decided to buy three packs in the morning. I end up with two packs with C05 (Sulu) and C03 (McCoy).

I went back later in the day and ran into friend and
fellow Card Talker Craig and decide to invest in three more packs. So after I buy the packs, I am just about ready to leave the store, when Craig asks if I was going to open them there, which hadn't even occured to me, but which made sense.

First pack- Thomas Kopache as Enterprise B Communications Officer autograph.

Second pack- C12- (Worf)

Third pack- Kirstie Alley as Lt. Saavik autograph!

One of the auto cards I was after in the set and I got it!

Definitely a good pack buying day. Smile I do think Craig being there was incredibly lucky for me!

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forever Man
posted Hide Post
Way to go Thumb Up I would love a kristi alley auto....just because!

http://s155.photobucket.com/al...7/Shootingstarpress/
For Her I Can Be A Hero!

Posts: 158 | Location: Somewhere In Time | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Forever Man:
Way to go Thumb Up I would love a kristi alley auto....just because!

Ditto!

Congrats Val! Clap

Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks bought six more packs from two different stores today- pulled:

Eric Steinberg as Paul Porter
Robert Easton as Klingon Judge
POR3 (McCoy)
C01 (Kirk)
C10 (Troi)
C11 (Riker)

Not too shabby. Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I picked up 6 packs of Indiana Jones Masterpieces from my local dealer, and received 1 etched foil card (#2 of6), 2 foil art cards (#'s 1 and 9 of 9), 1 sketch card, and 1 panoramic sketch card. Five chase cards out of 6 packs--not too bad! Big Grin

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the last 18 packs (six were already gone) from a box of 2008 Benchwarmer Limited Series at a comic book store and got:

1 regular auto (1:12), 1 purple parallel auto (# to 25) and 1 School Girl auto (1:48)

4 High Numbers (Boot Camp & All American USA) (1:4)

2 Halloween Foil inserts (1:8):

and of coarse my FAVORITE CARD
1 Decision 2008 (1:24)

Yup, when I think sexy, I think Hillary Clinton!!!!!!

I have to say I think I did really well for 18 packs. Can't beat Hillary Clinton!!!! Oh, wait...............

xman25

Posts: 58 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pulls..
That Nikki Ziering I would guess is one of the rarer pulls too.

What year is this series??

Posts: 20 | Location: Chula Vista, California | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post