Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
I am on holidays at far distant corners of Australia from where I live. I managed to find a card shop that didn't have much recent stuff, but had a bargain bin. They had recently moved and any open boxes were repacked as 5 packs for $10. Nothing I collected but I was feeling the pangs of my addiction and bought some. I ended up spending $70, mostly on Farscape and Charmed. For this, I got a bunch of inserts and two memorabilia cards:

- Charmed Connections Dual Pieceworks PWC2 (lace variant)
- Charmed Conversations PWCC6 Zola (yellow/tan variant)

Even though I don't collect Charmed, I had seen people on the boards mentioning the PWC2 as very hard to get, so I was exceptionally pleased with my pulls. I was even happier when I realised the lace was a variant.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:

A Jonathan Frankes as Commander William Riker Autograph! Smile Big Grin Metal

I am happy to trade you a TV Guide card for it since that's what you really wanted Big Grin

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Starchild
posted Hide Post
My fiancé and I went splurging yesterday and picked up some loose packs from 2 different Newbury Comics stores. Our finds....

Ink Archives
Buffy Season 7 A46 Sarah Hagan as Amanda
Smallville Season 4 A31 Jonathan Bennett as Kevin Grady
Supernatural Season 1 A8 Iovanna Huguet as Bloody Mary
Alias Season 1 A6 Lindsay Crouse as Dr. Carson Evans

This was nearly perfect as I needed 3 of these cards. The Alias auto will be up for trade, if anyone is interested.

Classic Vintage Movie Posters (Breygent)
Odds are 1 per case (1:288 packs). We bought 7 packs and received a James McNeil sketch card. Eek

Unfortunately, we cannot tell what movie this sketch is supposed to be from, so I am going to scan and post it and see if some of the knowledgeable folks here can help. But still, a sketch in 7 packs...unbelievable.

Posts: 603 | Location: CT | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
After a very long dry spell, I pulled this from a single pack of DEXTER I purchased last night....

It doesn't show up well in the scan, but there's a beautiful seam running along the bottom of the swatch

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Early today, I stopped by the local card shop - got 5 packs of Twilight Zone 50th Anniv. pulled Richard Erdman auto.

Then I stopped by again in the evening (it can't be helped, the place is only a mile away from my home) Bought 6 more packs - got Mary Gregory auto, and... Patrick Macnee!

Always liked Macnee, and his was the auto I wanted most from this series.

So, 11 packs, 3 autos, 2 Portraits and 1 Life of It's Own card. No motion cards yet.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I bought five packs of Star Trek TOS 2009 (40th Anniversary III), hoping to get a Tribute card or even a "common" autograph card. First four packs were nothing but common cards, no inserts at all. The last pack contained the A160 autogrph card from Leslie Shatner. Definitely not a bad pull, as this card is noted as "Very Limited" on the Rittenhouse site.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I bought five packs of Star Trek TOS 2009 (40th Anniversary III), hoping to get a Tribute card or even a "common" autograph card. First four packs were nothing but common cards, no inserts at all. The last pack contained the A160 autogrph card from Leslie Shatner. Definitely not a bad pull, as this card is noted as "Very Limited" on the Rittenhouse site.

Great Pull-Will!! Clap

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prospect5k
posted Hide Post
Bought 6 packs of the JLA packs and pulled this:

Hoping for a sketch or autograph, I bought the remainder (22 packs) of the Star Wars Clone Wars widevision packs. A friend of mine bought 2 packs earlier from the box and didn't hit anything to note. The box ended up not having any type of "big" hit. Oh well! Thats the way the cookie sometimes crumbles.

Posts: 414 | Location: Waterford, MI USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
Got a surprise parcel from a US friend yesterday and she included 6 SW Galaxy 4 packs (retail version) and in five of them I found a bonus card:

- Silver Foil 8 + 11 (Anakin & Qui-Gon)
- Bronze Foil 9 (Padme)
- Etched Foil 1

aaaaaaaaaaaand:

- Gold Foil 15 417/500 (Jango) Clap Bouncey

Well, no sketch but still...
With her luck she has to buy me cards more often... Smile

If anyone's interested in the gold foil, please let me know.

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Even though I haven't been actively collecting lately, I still stop at my comic/card store when I'm in the area and buy 2 or 3 packs of their new boxes. Over the past year, I have pulled the following cards:

Hugh Jackman auto from X-Men Origin Luv You
Simon Pegg auto from Star Trek the Movie
Batmobile sketch from Batman Archives

and a couple lower level autographs from Star Trek Enterprise (can't remember the names off hand)

I somehow become more active again around Christmas time. Go figure!

Later Wave

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
I just acquired several packs of Jericho from an open box, and since the seller had stated that the costume and autograph had been removed, I was simply looking forward to completing my insert sets. However, in the last pack I opened, I found... the autograph pieceworks redemption card for Ashley Scott...

My reactions, in order, were Elephant then Shake Head followed by Mad and finally Roll Eyes

About a year too late...

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Stopped by the local shop this evening. I had bought several packs of Star Wars Galaxy 5 from him, and missed the sketches both times.
Tonight he opened a new box, bought 6 packs.

Got 2 silver foils, 1 bronze foil, 1 etched foil, and...

Jeremy Bulloch autograph.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice pick ups Don! What shop are you going to now that so many shops in the area are gone?

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Prime Time Sports in my town, about a mile away from my house is where I've been going lately. He usually gets most Topps releases. The only other source is Target.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
my bad experience here was,xmen 1 topps(auto in every box),my local scifi shop had a open box with 7 pks missing,i broght the other 29 and the auto had already gone.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Awesome pulls, Kennywood!

I'm going through a dry spell myself, haven't pulled anything good in a long time from loose packs, but it won't stop me from trying. Smile

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Stopped in at a Hastings while on a road trip in KS, they had 2 packs of Stargate Heroes left so I thought what the heck might as well clean them out. I got a Bill Nye out of one pack and a Beau Bridges as Major General Hank Landry (Very Limited)out of the other. Best pulls I have had in a long time!

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Great for you Chris Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
SLEEPY HOLLOW,I brought packet after packet in my local scifi shop and didn't even have a stupid foil card Mad

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i bought 4 packs of star trek in a store in liverpool and pulled a william shatner autograph once.that was a happy day. Big Grin

Posts: 70 | Location: widnes,cheshire | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post