Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Picture of rwn410
posted Hide Post
Ah, the good old local Forbidden Planet. Thumb Up £1 per pack.

Posts: 398 | Location: UK | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kingraider32
posted Hide Post
buy a box, it's cheaper

Posts: 295 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Craig
posted Hide Post
Grabbed a few packs of Indiana Jones Heritage at lunch today--and pulled an Alfred Molina auto! Clap

Posts: 79 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nice one Craig. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of ghostrider666
posted Hide Post
Bought a pack of Potter Order of Phoenix update cards along with a pack of Iron Man cards.
Pulled an insert from the Iron Man cards & a Natalia Tena as Nymphadora Tonks auto card from the Potter.
Metal

Posts: 1495 | Location: Hbg Pa USA | Registered: January 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
W T G

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Congratulations everyone!

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anjee
posted Hide Post
wow ghostrider! that is awesome!

i bought 9 packs of americana 2 the other day (5 from target and 4 from shopko) and got an ed asner materials proof 004/100, a jonathan winters proof 013/100 and a ring kings kampmann auto 139/370.

Posts: 310 | Location: madison,wi | Registered: January 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A nice surprise tonight...

We traveled up to Massachusetts to visit my parents, and decided to travel to a Newbury Comics in Burlington. Apparently the store was having a 30th anniversary sale, including 30% off all trading cards. To my surprise, there were six packs of Supernatural Season 1 hanging on the rack. I grabbed them and was fortunate enough to pull the Julie Benz auto, one of the ones I still needed from the set. Smile

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well done Ariana. Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
Bought three packs of Benchwarmers 2008 Signature Series and pulled a Buffy Tyler autographed Prop Card (Soccer Ball) numbered 3 of 25. Also bought 3 packs of Hammer Horror and pulled a sweeet NIK sketch (picture posted in the Hammer Horror thread in the next Forum). A great card collecting day (the first one in a LONG time)!

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
congrats to everyone.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Popped into town this afternoon and stopped by my local comic shop World's Apart. My first bargain of the trip was an SG-1 Vala figure for £1.99 Smile still sealed, but that's not the best bit.
The shop has the cards near the door and when I went over to check out what they had in I found they were selling Lost Season Three card packs for only 25p a pack. Eek

There was no way I was passing up a bargain like that . So I bought £9 worth (to save anyone having to do the math thats 36 packs Big Grin ). And here's what I got:

TI-1 and TI-2
FB5 and FB8
LG2

Not bad for the money paid...but there's more I also pulled a PW10-Sawyer's shirt and a Michael Bowen as Danny Pickett auto.

I'm tempted to go back and get the rest of the packs they had left.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
If I leave for Liverpool now I should get there by the early hours of the morning and beat AJJ to them. It'll cost me about £30 to get there though!!!

Well done on your pulls.

Posts: 748 | Location: UK | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoCal
posted Hide Post
I bought 10 packs of 2008 Clone Wars hobby packs and didn't get squat.

My question is what's to stop an unscrupulous person from taking a box of cards & using a precision scale to weigh the packs and simply pull the packs that stand out weight wise as they most likely would contain the various insert cards. Then dump the remaining packs on an unsuspecting public.

Posts: 59 | Location: USA | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
The scale trick doesn't work here for sketches. Having said that was the box opened in front of you or already open? I've known some to crack a case, but stop in each box after the sketch is pulled only to sell the remaing packs in their store. Pretty slimy sh*t IMO, but to each his own.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had another pretty good card day today. Bought four packs of Supernatural Connections and four packs of The Seeker: Dark is Rising. Pulled a PW6 from Supernatural (one of the very few cards I still needed), and an Amelia Warner auto from The Seeker. Smile The auto will be used for trade, but the whole thing was worth it just for the Sam PW card.

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anjee
posted Hide Post
that's awesome ariana! i love pulling a card you still needed. it seems to happen so rarely.

last week i bought two packs of Marvel Masterpieces 2 and got a Scarlet Witch foil insert in the first pack and a Human Torch PW in the other. not bad for a random two pack purchase!

Posts: 310 | Location: madison,wi | Registered: January 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoCal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haljordanfan:
The scale trick doesn't work here for sketches. Having said that was the box opened in front of you or already open? I've known some to crack a case, but stop in each box after the sketch is pulled only to sell the remaing packs in their store. Pretty slimy sh*t IMO, but to each his own.

No I didn't see the box get opened. These were loose packs purchased on eBay. I don't have any stores around me so eBay is my only source. Your thought on stopping after a sketch is found seems very likely to me! I know I will no longer buy individual packs off of eBay again. I really believe most offering single packs are playing you. Live and learn right!

Posts: 59 | Location: USA | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree that "most" offering single packs are selling leftovers from opened boxes, and there's a good chance that the boxes have been searched, one way or the other. That's also true for offers of box-size lots of packs from opened boxes.

But it's not always so. You can ask the seller. The packs may be unsold items from a hobby shop's opened box, or the seller may just be one of the few who caters to the small-purchase market. If it's from a shop, the seller may not know what the patrons might have done.

Even unopened boxes can be risky. Some sellers will open boxes from a case and stop when they find the high-value "one per case" insert(s).

The point is that it can be possible to find a seller who offers the same odds for small purchases that you'd get for a big purchase. If you come across a real find in an auction from one of these sellers, you can continue to give them your business.

Still, I tend to look at sales of individual packs or opened boxes with suspicion. If the auction doesn't say "these packs have not been 'searched'" I assume that they probably were.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post