Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Most packs cost $3-$4 each for current listings. You can always negotiate with the dealer if you go on a pack opening session.

It's like walking up to bar for a shot and asking the bartender to leave the bottle.

Posts: 419 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: October 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
It sure seems like a long dry spell, it seems like forever since I last opened a box, I've had to make due with opening packs of whatever the local shop gets in, which today was star wars evolution and stargate atlantis, 6 or 7 packs of each.

Nothing major, Chad Morgan auto from Atlantis and a Kit Fisto from Evolution, but at least the Fisto seems rare as the foil on this one is intact (no peeling).

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
I wish there was someone around here that sold loose packs. It would be alot better than buying a whole box for me.

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
Went by the comic shop today... they didn't have any Buffy Memories cards last week when I was there, so imagine my surprise when I walked in and saw a box sitting on the counter! I bought two packs. One pack had 7 commons in it, and the second one had PW3!!! Bouncey Clap Metal

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogers! I failed to mention that it was the ONLY PW I was missing from the case I opened recently... I should buy a lottery ticket!

alternate email:

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Buffy Memories from a local dealer - a mistake since she charges much more than if I had bought it from one of our mail order dealers.
I also picked up 3 loose packs of Memories just to open in the car and see what I could find. The first loose pack had a PW 2 with double swatches of Buffy's outfit.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spyke
posted Hide Post
you all are lucky to pull cards like that. The only time I pulled an auto was back when Angel Season 1 came out I pulled James Marsters auto as Spike! My first Buffy/Angel card! I was so excited that I pulled it I went back to get more not knowing that I already pulled the card from the box since I was a novice at collecting autos back then lol.

Posts: 147 | Location: NY | Registered: March 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
If it is any consolation to folks, it has been a LONG time since I had a great single pack pull like the PW3... in fact, the stores that used to carry current NS cards in my area are carrying fewer and fewer new cards. I buy a couple of packs every time I go in (much to the chagrin of my wife) just to keep their NS card stock moving out the door (hoping that they will then order more). I also ask about upcoming products every time I go in ("are you going to be getting any Buffy Memories cards?"). Anyhow, all of this makes the PW3 pull even better. Cheers to those local card stores that carry NS cards! I am working on a sports, comic, and magic shop to start carrying NS cards... been working on them a long time, and I will keep doing so until they break down and get some new NS cards in!

alternate email:

New Card Talk Member
Picture of Shieldmaiden
posted Hide Post
(My first post - how exciting!)

I bought two boxes of the ROTK update set and pulled only two costume cards and no autos. BUT while buying loose packs here and there over the course of my collecting, I've pulled two autos and several costume cards. A big part of the thrill of the hunt for me is putting together the base set from loose packs. It costs more than buying a base set on eBay for $5, but it's also lots more fun!

Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness - in the bitter watches of the night when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you - a hutch to trammel some wild thing...

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Welcome Sheildmaiden, and i agree with you.
I have more fun buying packs and putting together a set, and often a second set, than by buying a set already made up or even buying a box. Even though it costs more in the long run.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Shieldmaiden
posted Hide Post
I like to buy packs here and there and everywhere and give my extras away. As I mentioned, my one experience buying boxes didn't go so well. I like to buy piles of packs from wherever I go to get my base set, then I hit eBay for the chase cards I wasn't able to pull. I've been known to spend an entire night poring over little stacks of cards. Everyone thinks I'm nuts. Drool

Who knows what you have spoken to the darkness - in the bitter watches of the night when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you - a hutch to trammel some wild thing...

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

New Card Talk Member
Picture of Shieldmaiden
posted Hide Post
...Oh, and thanks for the welcome, guys. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Welcome Shieldmaiden! I agree with you: even though it is costly, I still enjoy the thrill of finding something in a loose pack rather than being guaranteed a chase card in my box pulls.

Not that I am going to stop buying boxes, mind you... Wink

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of Shieldmaiden
posted Hide Post
IS it guaranteed? One of the ROTK Update boxes I bought didn't have a costume OR an auto in it... Confused

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
information on the set can be found here Jeff's House of Checklists

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I bought four packs of Buffy Memories and got a PW-1 and one of the puzzle pieces.

Not exactly an Inkplate, but still a pretty good purchase that I am happy about! Big Grin

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I ended up going back to the place that I bought the Buffy: Memories packs and bought five more packs and pulled the other Pieceworks card from the box. This time I got the Principal Wood pieceworks. All in all, I am pretty happy with pack pulls again!

Picture of bealay
posted Hide Post
Having started Battlestar Galactica season 1 on dvd this week (ill, off work, what's a boy to do...?), I just had to try some cards.

Went to FP today, and grabbed a pack, and got Richard Hatch auto Bouncey

but

It's a bit damaged Frown

It has small crease on the back, running accross one corner, about an inch I'd say. On the front are 2 small 'dimples', like something pressed into it. Still lovely card, so grabbed another handle (maybe 20 packs?) and got 2 crossroads, 2 artifex, and 1 more auto - that of Alonso Oyarzun, who plays Crewman Socinus.

Not the most affordable way to buy cards perhaps (probably could have gotten a box at same price, but they don't sell them in FP, and besides, it'd have been very expensive).

Loving the base cards, but as I have more episodes to go, I can't read them yet as spoilers abound Drool

All in all, quite pleased. Anyone know if Rittenhouse will replace said damaged card, or has anyone else had problems with this set/that card?

I also collect Black Cat cards. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Posts: 275 | Location: Norwich, UK | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bealay:
Not the most affordable way to buy cards perhaps (probably could have gotten a box at same price, but they don't sell them in FP, and besides, it'd have been very expensive).

It doesn't matter. If I pull an auto card or even chase cards out of random packs, I tend to va;ue them more than being guaranteed one by buying a box, even if it is more expensive. Somehow beating the odds tends to make the experience worth the while... Cool

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
first pack hit in a while, its an odd one. bought the last 4 packs in a box frankenstein on a dollar day sale, last pack had a film strip card 44/84. didnt even know they had these, thought it was sketch or prop only for unique pulls. was happy. it has a frame of the town villagers storming the castle, and one of frankenstein behind a boulder. neat

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post