Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of RupT
posted Hide Post
To all you Star Wars Sketch fanatics out there... can anyone help me identify who this artist is please?? The initals look like 'RM' but it doesn't look anyhign like Randy Martinez's work. I'm pretty sure also that the charcter on the card is Bail Organa.. can someone confirm tat too pleasE?

many thanx

www.darthtailor.co.uk

Remove the "_NO_SPAM" before emailing me Smile

Posts: 4234 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
honestly, I have done better with loose packs than with boxes. I even pulled an Angel 3 PW card from a stripped box, and I knew it was stripped, so that box beat the odds, and the dealer I bought the packs from even bought it from me, so I wound up getting the set and a bunch of chase for free, basically.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Cardz_house
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RupT:
To all you Star Wars Sketch fanatics out there... can anyone help me identify who this artist is please?? The initals look like 'RM' but it doesn't look anyhign like Randy Martinez's work. I'm pretty sure also that the charcter on the card is Bail Organa.. can someone confirm tat too pleasE?

many thanx

[IMG]http://img36.echo.cx/img36/5163/p10407046lk.th.j
pg[/IMG]

I think its a Dave Gorman sketch. I got a Bail Organa sketch which looks quite similar to yours and its a Dave Gorman.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Singapore | Registered: January 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of RupT
posted Hide Post
Thanx cardz-house.... at second look at the sig on the card it does vaguely resemble a DG...

can any other afficianado(is that spelt correctly??) confirm this??

www.darthtailor.co.uk

Posts: 4234 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Went to the local shop today after work. Bought 1 pack of Nascar Eclipse, and 5 packs of new garbage Pail Kids.

In the racing pack, an event used Car Cover from Tony Stewart's car (are you there Patony Fan?) numbered 004/400. It has 3 colors, mostly white, with a black stripe and some orange.

Then, in one of the GPK packs, a sketch card. It's a drooling baby, don't know the artist's name yet.

Not bad for an $11 investment.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Then, in one of the GPK packs, a sketch card. It's a drooling baby, don't know the artist's name yet.

Not bad for an $11 investment.

It's not Czop? He did some sketches for that series. Congrats!

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of patonyfan
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the racing pack, an event used Car Cover from Tony Stewart's car (are you there Patony Fan?) numbered 004/400. It has 3 colors, mostly white, with a black stripe and some orange.

yep i am here, nice pull on the stewart, especially out of just one pack. Didn't think anyone one else in here dabbled in NASCAR

Mike

Posts: 907 | Location: Bloomsburg, PA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yes Mike, I do buy packs of Nascar when the non-sport stuff isn't in the local shop.
I have 4 of the Car Cover cards from the Eclipse set, and this one is the only one that isn't a solid color.

Tia, I looked at the sketch closer and I think its a Don Perlin. Topps usually posts odds for individual inserts, and his is 1:164. Czop's signature I would recognize, and if anyone finds one, they are 1:3297!

Note there is a Hobby and retail version of GPK 4. The sketches are only in the Hobby.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
I found a cheap Stewart Car Cover card online and got it, but I dont collect Nascar, anyone interested? not sure what set it is from but the material is grey (I think, I am somewhat colorblind)

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've seen some drooling baby sketches and they were all attributed to John Pound. These weren't quite the same as the covers he used to do for Marvel mags in the 1980's. Big Grin

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Buying loose packs can be fun, its nice to see people pull auto's from a few packs.....
I brought a few Star Wars Evolution packs and got Sebula's Auto, not bad.....
Probably my best pulls have been from sealed boxes Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I got 6 or 7 packs each of Quotable Star Trek TNG and Star Wars Revenge of the Sith today.
Data costume card (all black) from TNG - I got the auto card from the same box last week.
1 morphing card (Anakin/Darth Vader), 1 sketch card (Vader by Joe Corroney - 1 half of duo card by the looks of it) and 1 foil card.

Posts: 3251 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Saw some relatively cheap packs of Garbage Pail Kids and grabbed 6 packs and got this funny looking Justin Green sketch card.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I realize now, after seeing some on the auction site that shall remain nameless, that I have a John Pound sketch. Everyone else prints their name neatly, or at least legibly.

You can see why I couldn't figure out the name though, the first letter was either a D, S or J.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of RupT
posted Hide Post
Okay, i erm pulled an "Arwen's Coronation Dress" Costume card from a pack of LOTR ROTK Update today..... Roll Eyes

www.darthtailor.co.uk

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
I bought three packs of Return of the Sith from Forbidden Planet in Derby last weekend. I didn't expect to get anything but the first pack had a close in sketch of Obi Wan Kenobi's face and the second pack had a lenticular card (2 of 2) so well pleased ! Clap

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
The ROTS cards have been really good to me. I thought the box I bought from my local store was the last 1 they'd have but they had a nice freshone on the conter today so I grabbed 3 packs and just for fun 2 packs of Press Pass 2005 Football cards.

The ROTS yielded 1 foil and a sketch card that looks like it's a Level C Matt Haley. I'm not 100% sure since I can't find an example of his sig, not even 1 on ebay but it looks like it starts with an M and ends y! I'll be scanning tomorrow.

In the football I got a gold Keron Henry autograph, 090/100. Another good day for pack pulls.

-Goethe

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to scanning it and I confirmed it is a Matt Haley sketch.

My local store had no new non-sports today so I bought 2 packs of Hockey just for something to open and got a double jersey card of Salming and Lafleur numbered out of 20. Kinda cool even if it is probably a worthless sportscard. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Incarnadine,

-Goethe

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Here the Daft sketch I got from a few loose packs.

Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
This weekend:

Galactica Premiere, 4 packs, 10 bucks, 20 base cards! :P