Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/994101896

March 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
Mister E.
Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
I purchased the last 5 packs of Star Wars/Clone Wars Widevision at the local Target store and was surprised to find a Matthew Wood as Battle Droids - autograph card. I tried to purchase 1 Binder/Promo card, but was notified by Topps that they are out of stock. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mister E.,

March 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
AJJ
Picked up four packs of Lost Season 1 thru 5 this afternoon and pulled: Flashforward FF3, L9 (Cargo ship blowing up) and Alan Dale as Charles Whitmore auto.

March 22, 2010, 08:09 PM
CordeliaChase_Fan
One of my stores is having some kind of card blowout with packs for a quarter, so I bought about 8.00 worth of packs from series I don't usually collect like Enterprise, Wild Wild West, and Wolverine: Origins. Did fairly well, pulled three autographs-

Enterprise Season Two: Matt Winston (which I have now found out was a limited card and to top it off he is Stan Winston's son and was in Wes Craven's New Nightmare)

Wild Wild West: Richard Kiel

Wolverine: Origins: Daniel Henney (which is unfortunately damaged)

There were also other miscellaneous inserts sprinkled in

Not too bad for 32 packs for a quarter each. Smile

Val

March 23, 2010, 10:20 PM
barobehere
Purchased 2 packs of Women of Star Trek today and got a Kitty Swink auto from an episode of Star TrekBig GrinS9. I was pretty pleased.
April 04, 2010, 10:49 PM
CordeliaChase_Fan
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
One of my stores is having some kind of card blowout with packs for a quarter, so I bought about 8.00 worth of packs from series I don't usually collect like Enterprise, Wild Wild West, and Wolverine: Origins. Did fairly well, pulled three autographs-

Enterprise Season Two: Matt Winston (which I have now found out was a limited card and to top it off he is Stan Winston's son and was in Wes Craven's New Nightmare)

Wild Wild West: Richard Kiel

Wolverine: Origins: Daniel Henney (which is unfortunately damaged)

There were also other miscellaneous inserts sprinkled in

Not too bad for 32 packs for a quarter each. Smile

Val

Same store had dug out some Quotable TNG packs (but not at 25 cents each), so I took a chance and bought the 9 they had left- pulled the following:

CB5
ST8
TV3

and

Marina Sirtis as Counselor Deanna Troi autograph card- Elephant

which was in the very last TNG pack I opened. I was stoked!

Val

April 05, 2010, 12:12 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by CordeliaChase_Fan:
Marina Sirtis as Counselor Deanna Troi autograph card- Elephant

which was in the very last TNG pack I opened. I was stoked!

Val

Boy you're doing well with these loose packs. I bought an open box of WOST2010 that had 18 packs left. I didn't get one autograph or costume card. Now tell me those packs weren't searched! Big Grin
April 05, 2010, 03:39 AM
simon1978
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Now tell me those packs weren't searched! Big Grin

Those... packs... weren't... searched...

No, I don't believe myself either Frown
April 05, 2010, 06:03 AM
Graham
Seeing as Rittenhouse autos are usually in either the top half or bottom half of the box, it could be you were just unlucky.
April 16, 2010, 02:49 PM
Darth Vader Fan
I found a gravity feed box of Garbage Pail Kids Flashback at a near by out of town Target today and I picked up five packs. In the forth pack I pulled a gold parallel, which is 1:42 packs Clap It was card #65b.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darth Vader Fan,
April 17, 2010, 07:04 AM
Pumpkindiver
5 packs of stargate heroes at supernova today. 2 Atlantis cards, 1 in motion card, 1 SGU card....... And an Amanda Tapping auto costume card. Reasonably happy

April 19, 2010, 11:54 AM
MadCow
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:
I found a gravity feed box of Garbage Pail Kids Flashback at a near by out of town Target today and I picked up five packs. In the forth pack I pulled a gold parallel, which is 1:42 packs Clap It was card #65b.

Congrats! I've had good luck with the Gold Parallels but have yet to pull a sketch or plate.

April 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
justm
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkindiver:
5 packs of stargate heroes at supernova today. 2 Atlantis cards, 1 in motion card, 1 SGU card....... And an Amanda Tapping auto costume card. Reasonably happy

Only reasonably ? Blimey, you are tough to please ! Eek

April 27, 2010, 11:16 PM
Batjay
I had a stroke of luck at my Target today. They had a gravity feed box of the Iron Man 2 cards. It looked like it had been rummaged through so I didn't expect much. I bought 2 packs anyways and ended up pulling a sketch card of Nick Fury by Dave Strong. I'm pretty excited about it.

April 28, 2010, 10:49 PM
spidergoblin
good for you Batjay Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper
April 28, 2010, 11:01 PM
CordeliaChase_Fan
I've had the craziest luck with packs this week.

On Sunday and on Tuesday, I bought two packs each of Marvel 70th just for the heck of it (from different stores) which yielded these:

a Fin Fang Foom sketch by Don Hillsman II who I found out was an Extremely Limited artist and a Sif sketch by Alcione da Silva who is a Very Limited artist. Needless to say, I was excited.

Today, I decided to buy two more packs of 70th Marvel at a different 3rd store and then later today I got three Iron Man II packs which yielded these:

Another extremely limited sketch by Sonny Strait and #10 in the "70 Years of Corner Boxes!" series and a sweet Iron Man sketch by Jon Sommariva.

Needless to say- I am kinda thrilled with all the sketch luck.

Some may be for trade, others may not. Depends how I feel.

Val

April 30, 2010, 10:12 PM
Monsterama2000
I was in Target today and bought one pack of "The Legend of KISS" trading cards and pulled a Rock Star Relic. #RRPS3 - an authentic swatch from a vest worn by Paul Stanley. Dance

May 01, 2010, 02:17 PM
Anne
My son bought a couple of packs of trading cards cards Star Wars Revenge of the Sith and they were in the "cheap bin" at Forbidden Planet (they were having a massive throwout inc trading cards.....
He got a sketch card of Princess Leia not bad for 20p a pack.
August 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
william291077
Howdy,

I have been lucky a few times.

I have pulled an Indiana Jones: KotCS Sketch card from packs at my local comic book store and a Star Wars Heritage Sketch from Forbidden Planet in Glasgow, Scotland.

I have never pulled an Autograph or Pieceworks card without buying a sealed box.

Anne, at 20p a pack I would have cleaned out the Forbidden Planet. Nice one!

TTFN

August 12, 2010, 08:01 PM
Batman
Ran to Target at lunch for some household items, was in the mood to open some packs so I picked up 3 Twilight Eclipse packs, 3 Iron Man 2 packs, and a 2010 Panini Prestige Football pack. $15 total. I was quite surprised to pull this masterpiece:

I think I will have a beer and celebrate! Smile Big Grin Cool Clap

August 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
cardaddict
Holy guacamole Batman, that is a NICE sketch!