Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rns91294:
Oh, and who carries the hobby version of LOTR chrome? Does anyone know?

Card/hooby shops are the only place I know of.

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of patonyfan
posted Hide Post
There used to be a CVS Pharmacy around here where the manager would stock hobby packs.

Mike

Posts: 907 | Location: Bloomsburg, PA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
My local shop had a box of Alias 3 in and still 2/3 full so I grabbed 8 packs:

Inserts- L4 and WG6
Pieceworks- PW6, nice colorful swatch of Isabella Rossellini's blouse
Auto- A30 Peggy Lipton as Olivia Reed

Pretty nice looking cards, especially the PW card.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maxpower03
posted Hide Post
I picked up three packs from a just-opened box of Alias 3 in my local comic store and got the Vivica A. Fox autograph redemption. Cool card.

Posts: 106 | Location: UK | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darbow
posted Hide Post
I bought 11 packs of Alias season 3 today from a store i've had no luck from before, i got:

WG2
L9
PW4 Sarks sweater Smile

and only 8 cards short of a complete base set with only a few doubles.

Posts: 457 | Location: Bristol, U.K | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Today I piced up a few packs and got some great pulls:
Harry Potter update: 6 packs and got a Harry cloak card and a Wesley Twins Double auto card. Metal

Outer Limits: 10 packs got a Nimoy and a Adam West auto's Smile Smile Smile

Sports Ill swimsuit: 1 pack 1 auto Luv You

Twilight Zone: 5 packs got a Shatner auto Clap

I think I might not buy any packs for a couple of weeks and let my luck recharge

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cline:

I think I might not buy any packs for a couple of weeks and let my luck recharge

Are you sure you have not used up everybodys luck there. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I wish I could easily find loose packets in the UK

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I also bought a couple of packs of Andromeda on e-bay, and got a Lisa Ryder/Beka Valentine auto redemption card.

Posts: 537 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bought 4 packs of Harry Potter update, and pulled rare foil #6.
They were the last 4 packs, so I thought that was pretty good.

Chris Big Grin

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
I wish I could easily find loose packets in the UK

I know! The only place I can buy from are two on-line venues.
I didn't have bad luck- 3 Buffy WOS and I got a LC card, and 3 Charmed I got VE2, but could have been better!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We know alot of dealers and some major chain store hobby retailers who systematicallly remove the chase from boxes and still sell packs at retail price.

Many dealers do it with boxes as well - they order five/ten cases, find the ultra rare cards in one case, set the rest of the boxes to one side and start on the next case. Then sell the boxes they know do not contain the 1:360 cards etc.

We regard this as a false economy however.

We only usually sell gaming cards as loose packs - when the Pokemon phenomenon hit, a child from the local school pulled a Charizard foil having bought just two packs - thereafter we were swamped with kids from all over the district.

One of our customers pulled the Princess Leia auto from the Star Wars Evolution from just one purchase. Word gets around....

If customers know they have a fair chance of pulling the most sought after cards, they will keep coming back to you.

Posts: 113 | Location: Earth... mostly !!!! | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
Picture of Over_Worked_Mom
posted Hide Post
Bought 10 packs of LOTR Chrome Retail edition from my local Suncoast (they were having a sale - spend $10 or more on cards, get $3 off!)

Pulled an Ian Holm (Bilbo) auto Smile Technically, Robert pulled it - it was in *his* 5 packs. My 5 packs yielded nothing Smile

Posts: 4053 | Location: Lansdale, PA | Registered: January 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i bought i think it was 10 packs of dark angel trading cards on ebay and i pulled a James Cameron Auto Smile today i bought some harry potter cards and pulled a costume card

Posts: 16 | Location: usa | Registered: November 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I knew I should not have pressed my luck. Bought 25 lose paks today and got nothing. NOTHING not even a puzzle card. I am none with lose paks untill Twilight Zone

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Nothing too exciting but the local card shop had some stuff marked 50% off so I grabbed a few cheap packs.

AVP- 2 packs and got SF2 and SF3
American chopper- 2 packs, nada
Outer Limits- 4 packs CC2 (costume worn by John Amos) and CC9 (Costume worn by Jeremy Sisto). The CC9 has an oddity, on the back is a small 1/4 inch circle protrudingfrom the card, just a prodruding indentation, not actually coming out of the card, like some small circular object got trapped in the card making process.

For no particular reason I also picked up 1 pack of Press Pass Premium racing cards and pulled a Jeff Gordon In the Zone insert IZ 4/12 and individually numbered 023/250.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
A couple of packs of Star Wars Heritage from W H Smith at the weekend yielded a Joe Corroney sketch of Vader's helmet so well pleased. Smile

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I bought ten packs of Return of The King from ebay for .99p and got one foil card.
I keep seeing people from the UK mentioning places they've bought packs from, but I have never seen TC open boxes in WH Smith or Partners!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kimberley M:
I bought ten packs of Return of The King from ebay for .99p and got one foil card.
I keep seeing people from the UK mentioning places they've bought packs from, but I have never seen TC open boxes in WH Smith or Partners!

W H Smiths in Burton has the packs behind the counter and Partners in Derby do sell cards on occasions. W H Smiths in other places have 'Trading Posts' but these tend to be stickers and Top Trump cards more often than not.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Bought 6 packs of Star Wars Heritage (£2.99 each) from WH Smiths near my workplace and got a James Earl Jones auto from the first pack I opened.

Elephant

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post