Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Congrats on the sketch card finds.
I recently bought some "WWE Insider" cards out of the box and pulled an autograph
card of "Gregory Helms"(don't know the odds on this one) and also pulled an
Event Worn Shirt of "Kurt Angle"(1:1,685)

It seems to me that the "Kurt Angle" find is pretty good for being out of an
open box,eh?

Just thought I'd share that with the community.

TREETOPP

Posts: 55 | Location: tree.topp@hotmail.com | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Another slow day so I went on a pack sampling binge.

3 packs of 24 expansion- 1 ur1 foil
3 packs of Veronica Mars season 2- C6 foil and A15 Galner auto.
2 Packs of Hellboy animated- 1 foil card.

Also bought 2 packs of Ace tennis cards and 2 packs of 2006 SP Authentic football. Same as my last pack sampling binge, my best cards were from the sportscards which almost never happens (Kim Clijsters auto 083/150, a Katerina Srebotnik 1/1 press plate and a autograph/patch RC of Deangelo Williams 113/175)

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
I bought a few $0.99 packs at Target today:

Disney/Pixar Treasures - 5 packs - one Reel Piece of History (Toy Story)

Spiderman - 1 pack - one Lenticular card

Hulk - 1 pack - one Famous Comic Covers card

Cat in The Hat - three packs - one die cut character card

All of these were the last of the cards in the $0.99 box (I bought all of each that were left). Not bad for Target cheap packs!

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago now I picked up 2 packets of Buffy Season 2 and pulled out 1 Auto - Anthony Stewart Head as well as 1 puzzle piece insert

Posts: 36 | Location: Kent, UK | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Servo
posted Hide Post
Me and a friend went halves and bought 15 packets of Dr Who Trilogy cards, 7 packs for me and 8 for him.
I pulled 2 Foil Cards and 1 auto... he got nothing.
Safe to say he wasn't pleased Wink

Posts: 99 | Location: UK | Registered: April 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
We were at the local comic book store for Free Comic Book Day and I decided to buy a couple of packs of cards just for the heck of it: 4 packs of Lost Season 2 and 2 packs of Star Wars Heritage. I filled in a couple more holes in my Lost Season 2 base set, pulled 2 chase cards I didn't have AND....

I pulled my very first sketch card!!!!

It's a sketch of Lando Calrissian by David Rabbitte. Dance Big Grin Dance Big Grin

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dragoncrypt
posted Hide Post
Went to LCS to satisfy the card opening itch I had. Checked the cheap bin and bought some packs:

X2: X-men United Movie - Topps(4 packs):
Autograph - Bruce Davison Smile
Memorabilia Card - Storm Big Grin

Buffy: Women of Sunnydale - Inkworks (2 packs):
LC-2 Ladies Choice - Angel

Smallville Season 5 - Inkworks (3 packs)
PL5 - Price of Life
Autograph - Alan Ritchson [Arthur Curry]

By far my best pulls from packs in recent years. 2 Autos and a Memorabilia from 9 packs. Woohoo!

Posts: 199 | Location: The Great White North (Canada) | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just bought three packs of Buffy Memories and pulled a redemption card for the variant pieceworks of Andrew's jacket! Bouncey Course, now that I've found it and realized it's the first redemption card I've ever pulled...

What's the best way to mail it in? ANd how do I know if Inkworks has the card available yet? *confused*

lol, any help would be appreciated now that the excitement's worn off...

~Ariana

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ariana,

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
You could e-mail Inkworks...or check their website for redemption instructions.

They do have the actual variant card available because I pulled the same card from a pack a while back and have my card. Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Val. Smile I'm still kind of in shock. Since I started collecting cards a month ago, I've had more luck than I ever had in YEARS of collecting anything else, lol. It's a nice feeling. I appreciate your advice, I just sent an e-mail off to Inkworks.

Smile

~Ariana

Posts: 608 | Location: MA | Registered: April 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Cool....and no prob.

My luck varies from time to time although I will say I generally do better with Inkworks boxes than anything else. It may just be that I like more of Inkworks' properties. Smile

Not to say I haven't had a few great Rittenhouse boxes.

Let us know when you get the card. Smile

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, I probably wouldn't do that because the person that has the loose packs most likely searched a whole box or a whole case for that matter. The person probably would have already found the important autos or sketches. If you really want to then do it, nobody is stopping you. I have seen times where people have pulled great autos or any sort of valuable insert out of a pack.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mountaintop | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
One pack of X-Men III, Michael Murphy as Warren Worthington, Sr. autograph.

Two packs of Shrek the Third, Lee Kohse sketch of Prince Charming (#9, bottom right corner card of the first group of 9 on Inkworks site).

VERY pleased Bouncey

alternate email:

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I went to check and see if there was any spidey 3 or Shrek 3 in my local shop yet (there wasn't) so I grabbed 2 packs of Elvis and pulled a card with a piece of his smoking jacket.

-Goethe

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also got lucky with the packs today...

I was a little disappointed because I didn't get a Tobey Maguire auto from the 3 boxes of Spiderman3 cards I bought earlier in the week. I didn't want to spend another $65 on a box, so I took a chance and bought 3 packs for $2.95 each at the local comic store today.....and pulled a Willem Dafoe auto! wowsers!

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago bought 3 packs each of Stagate & Smallville season 1, and pulled a Chris Judge auto & a Pete Ross costume respectively. After about a 9 year gap, these are what got me back collecting.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
Well my local shop got both Shrek and Spider-man in and I tried my luck.

7 packs of Shrek- Nada
3 packs of Spidey- BTS7 and Lucy Lawless as Punk rock girl autograph. I only just looked now and found out she is listed as "Very Limited" Eek. This is just my 3rd RA Very Limited auto ever (the others being the Claudia Black Farscape TTWH and Lee Majors 6 million dollar man.

-Goethe

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Went into my local shop and bought the last 5 packs of Complete Bond. I still thought there might be an auto in there...

In the last pack I opened, Judi Dench auto.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LUZNDAVE
posted Hide Post
I picked up 5 packs of Spiderman 3 and pulled a Garbage Man Auto.

Posts: 348 | Location: La Palma, CA | Registered: January 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
8 packs of Transformers movie cards:

Embossed foil of Bumblebee
Embossed foil of Megatron

and...

Sketch of Megatron by Nick Roche!

Made up for the phone call I got from my card dealer - Topps shipped the cases NOT double-boxed. Every case box was dinged on at least two corners. The dealer is contacting Topps to get replacements, and they are hanging on to the least damaged case for me (Excelllent dealer!). So, I am not getting my case until next week (along with a box of Spidey 3 movie cards and the Highlander autograph update set). I CAN'T WAIT!!

alternate email: