Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/994101896

November 03, 2004, 09:37 PM
Martine
Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
That is definitely some luck! Congrats! Thumb Up

Last time I got a few pack of SW Heritage, I pulled a nice looking Bobba Fett sketch (profile) Big Grin - although I still cannot make out who the artist is Shake Head

And today, after what had been a rather depressing and gloomy day at the office and feeling kinda sick on top of that, I decided that a good way to cheer up would be to get a few packs...

Well, 4 packs of Angel yielded a PW3 - Angel's shirt, and one foil (The Last Day). Then, 2 packs of Xena yielded an Eduardo Pansica sketch and a Portrait of a Warrior foil. Add to that the BL1 from Smallville 3 (they had just opened the box), and I now feel much better Big Grin Still kinda sick, though Frown

Wave

November 04, 2004, 09:46 AM
TheJazzer
WOW. I had noticed this sorting issue with foils in what I opened (had about 6 or so "double foil" packs in my case) and kept hoping for the same issue with a sketch or an auto (didn't get even one).

I think it must have been a calibration problem of some sort with the machines, as the base cards were so thick.

Anyway, Congrats on an AWESOME pull!
November 04, 2004, 12:29 PM
Andrew David
Mmmmm..... nice pull with the two Vaders Clearblue, welcome to Card Talk. Wave

Think my best pull from single packs has been a STOS Shatner Auto or a LOTR FOTR Rhys-Jones. Smile

November 07, 2004, 07:04 AM
Raj
Bought some cheap packs
1 Women Of Star Trek Voyager - M3
2 Complete DS9 - no chase
1 Buffy season 7 - FB5
1 Angel season 3 - PR5

and some at full price
2 packs of Angel season 5 - PW3 (Angel's shirt)
November 09, 2004, 08:29 PM
Incarnadine
I stopped watching Smallville but the local card store had an open box so I bought 1 pack just to check them out, pulled a Jesse Metcalfe as Van Mcnulty A20 autograph card. He looked familiar so I looked him up and he's on Desperate Housewives, pretty cool.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

November 10, 2004, 09:09 AM
KADRAN00157
I remember doing open boxes of Battle of the Planets in Forbidden Planet in London, they had 2 boxes of 80 packs (2 boxes put into 1)
So I decided to do random bulk pulls
got as follows
4 sceth cards
6 Autograph cards
5 Clear cards

You kinda feel sorry for the next person who went in there to buy from those boxes Frown

KADRAN00157
November 11, 2004, 03:04 AM
Thao
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDutch: To my surprise the prop card was still there and I grabbed another pack for good measure. Check this out. For my $6.12 investment I pulled a Sam's Elven Tunic memorabilia card (1:652) and .... a Viggo Mortensen auotgraphed King Elessar card! I was stoked, that's the best pull I've ever gotten. I know some think the Trilogy isn't that great but I've always want a VM auto and I pulled it myself!!
Too cool huh?

Gee, some people have the best of luck!! You got better pulls from 2 backs than what I got from a whole box!! Not to sound bitter, but that was an excellent find Big Grin!! Very cool indeed!

I'm always hesitant to buy loose packs though. The only good luck I've had with loose packs is I pulled a FotR Merry Auto card from 7 packs. Not gonna complain, that's awesome, but no luck after that. Not gonna even attempt to buy loose packs of Harry Potter Update cards to try and get a Ron Auto card, cause even with a dozen cases, it's still not a guaratee. Craziness how some of these cards are so rare. Geez.
November 13, 2004, 10:02 AM
Raj
Got about 10 packs of various cards cheap (50p each) at my comic shop today.

Farscape season 4 - Gigi Edgley (Chiana) auto
Angel season 3 - Mark Lutz (Groosalugg) auto

Big Grin
November 13, 2004, 10:40 AM
wolfie
Our local shop which is a Forbidden Planet would never dream of selling packs of cards for 50p.
They are either full price or they are not there at all. Frown

November 14, 2004, 04:16 PM
allender
quote:
Originally posted by clearblue:
Authentic Autograph along the top. Then i fanned out the cards. There were two of them. I pulled them apart and vader's picture was on the back of both and i thoguht "no way!!". I flipped them over and there they were, two autographs of James Earl Jones.

Since you pulled two of the same autographs from one pack, did you write them to see it they would swap you a different autograph from the set for one of your dupes? Big Grin
December 05, 2004, 02:54 AM
Incarnadine
I went on another supply run and there was an unusually good selection of open boxes at the card shop today so I dabbled a bit.

1 pack of Xena art and images- 1 Paniscaos XENA sketch.

2 packs of Star Wars Heritage- 1 McCrea LEIA sketch

2 packs of Dead Zone- 1 Julie Patzwald auto

14 packs of Quotable Bond (cool stuff)- A43 Michael Billington and WA23 Martine Beswick auto (limited)

I scanned them but am just posting the sketches, they are both pretty nice.

-Goethe

December 05, 2004, 06:08 AM
xSaBx
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
I scanned them but am just posting the sketches, they are both pretty nice.

I agree, very good sketches for a very small outlay!

Crunchy on the Outside,
Smooth on the Inside:
Armadillos!

REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...
December 05, 2004, 12:32 PM
maxpower03
I've only had three auto pulls from loose packs.
- Amber Benson's auto from Buffy Season 5
- Michael Massee auto from Catwoman
- Felecia Bell-Schafer auto from Smallville 3
December 05, 2004, 09:32 PM
barobehere
Going to be a downer.
I will never open loose packs from A certain big chain store again.
I just got back from shopping and this is what happened while I was there.
I went to the card area and the guy was stocking the cards(horray). Anyway, he had this chart and every box he opened he looked at the chart and then took (X) numbers of packs from each box. He opened two boxes of LOTR:Chrome retail. I asked him what he was doing. His response was that all the "good" cards were found by the procedure listed on the chart and he was to pull these packs and return to his company with them. The company this man works for is contracted to the big chain store. He comes in and stocks the card shelf for them. He has a chart telling him how to cherry pick each product. He had close to 30 boxes ranging from Baseball, basketball, non-sport and gaming. I watched him consult this chart before he opened each box and pull packs from every one! Needless to say I will never get loose packs from this chain again!
December 13, 2004, 09:34 PM
sci-fi guy
I do not buy a lot of sports cards as I used to, but sometimes the compulsion kicks in to buy a few. I walked into a sports store, and saw that there was about 10 packs in the box, so I bought them, and got a Martin Brodeur jersey card.
December 15, 2004, 03:37 PM
scott12
2 weeks ago I bought 4 packs of the Dead Zone from a full box and got Alvin Sanders and Blu Mankums auto's. This week I bought 4 more packs from another full box of the Dead Zone and got John L Adams and Kristen Dalton auto's.
December 23, 2004, 06:54 PM
Incarnadine
10 packs of Farscape and 5 of Quotable Bond yielded A66 Gigi Edgley auto and A47 Burt Kwuok auto. Loose packs are fun if you trust the place you buy them from. Smile

-Goethe

December 24, 2004, 11:04 PM
Jessica
About a year ago, I picked up a few packs of Charmed Power of Three and got the Pheobe black costume card.

December 30, 2004, 11:41 AM
rns91294
I have bought so many spare packs of LOTR chrome from my local comic shop (whom I trust since I pulled a Scooby Doo 2 pieceworks from packs there), Suncoast Video (3 of them) and Target. Turns out that I still don't have an auto or costume. I can also tell if they were cherry picked, as this particular set has very thick cards. One Suncoast video has them at the counter and they are as straight as can be. Everywhere else I have gone ahs them, but all the packs have a nice curve to them, so I know someone went through them. The question now is, was it a customer or employee.....
December 30, 2004, 11:58 AM
rns91294
Oh, and who carries the hobby version of LOTR chrome? Does anyone know?