Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/994101896

April 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
HIM
Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by H.I.M.:
They had LOTS of MIB II packs as well as POTA remake. They had a few Wild Wild West remake packs as well.
And you left them Eek

Being that the redemptions arent any good for either, yeah, i passed.

April 25, 2006, 06:24 PM
Darth Vader Fan
quote:
quote:
quote:
They had LOTS of MIB II packs as well as POTA remake. They had a few Wild Wild West remake packs as well.
And you left them Eek

Inkworks will sill honor the redemption cards after the date expires.

BDK
April 25, 2006, 09:08 PM
HIM
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Vader Fan:
quote:
quote:
quote:
And you left them Eek

Inkworks will sill honor the redemption cards after the date expires.

BDK

Yes but as far as the TLJ auto they dont have any to honor.

May 18, 2006, 11:50 PM
CordeliaChase_Fan
Resurrecting this thread...

bought two packs of Superman Returns today and got: Parker Posey's autograph.

That was pretty cool, although I haven't decided how I feel about the holostickers.

This was from the same shop where I pulled Hudson Leick, Amy Acker, Marc Blucas, Barbara Luna and quite a few other autos(or redemptions), I have some good luck with that shop Smile

Val

May 18, 2006, 11:56 PM
CordeliaChase_Fan
oh and to make it more interesting, Parker Posey shops at the bookstore I work at. I haven't seen her in a while though, and I have never spoken to her myself. Plus my co-workers were talking about her today because she is in the new Superman film...hehe...

I have to get them to talk about Brandon Routh, then maybe I will get his autograph.

Val

May 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
Redemption
Awesome! I've loved Parker Posey since Party Girl! Thumb Up

May 19, 2006, 12:28 AM
CordeliaChase_Fan
Her hair is scary on the auto card though- yikes! and I happen to like the Eighties....Wink

LOL

Val

May 19, 2006, 02:34 PM
zhamlau
went to my favorite shop yesterday, saw they had a sale going. they got some lotr evo boxes in for , and packed one out. In a day, it was 3/4 gone, owner said a guy came in and just scooped up the 9 from each side. I buy the last 6 and hope. First two packs on each row, sketch! If the guy bought the next two top packs, he woulda walked with em.

Boromir Death sketch by Cat Staggs, with the arrow sticking out of him! I might never pull kayanans, but my god i can load up on 7 staggs!

May 24, 2006, 06:44 PM
Brian Henderson
It would be nice if I could buy loose packs at all, nobody locally has boxes open, aside from the occasional box of Garbage Pail Kids. Otherwise, you can buy things by the box (if you can find them, or special order them) or you can get some of the repackaged retail packs for an extremely limited number of sets.

Then again, pretty much all of the card shops in this area went out of business and the comic shops only carry CCGs and baseball cards.
May 24, 2006, 07:48 PM
Incarnadine
The local comic/card shop finally got some new stuff in so I bought a bunch of packs and got:

2 packs of WWE Heritage Chrome- Booker T. autograph

8 packs of Superman Returns- foil card 1 of 5, memorabilia cards Kitty Kowalski's Zebra dress and Superman's cape.

16 packs of Firefly- Firefly Forever F1 and F9, Battle of Serenity B4 and Autograph card A-6 (Sean Maher)

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

May 27, 2006, 12:22 PM
dlpn1fan
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Henderson:
It would be nice if I could buy loose packs at all, nobody locally has boxes open, aside from the occasional box of Garbage Pail Kids. Otherwise, you can buy things by the box (if you can find them, or special order them) or you can get some of the repackaged retail packs for an extremely limited number of sets.

Then again, pretty much all of the card shops in this area went out of business and the comic shops only carry CCGs and baseball cards.

Brian,

Try the comic book store over the hill in Moreno Valley off of Frederick St. I don't remember the name but they some good stuff.

Bryan
May 28, 2006, 03:51 PM
Brian Henderson
quote:
Originally posted by dlpn1fan:
Try the comic book store over the hill in Moreno Valley off of Frederick St. I don't remember the name but they some good stuff.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you're talking about Players. I used to go to their big store in Riverside, back before it went out of business and I moved.

Last time I was in there, they had a couple of open boxes of cards, nothing spectacular and they're a good 25-30 miles away. I think I bought a couple packs of Wacky Packs.

I was out at a local show yesterday and even the card dealers there aren't putting out much in the way of open boxes. You can either buy complete sealed boxes or you can buy complete sets. Otherwise, you're out of luck.
May 28, 2006, 04:25 PM
dlpn1fan
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Henderson:
quote:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you're talking about Players. I used to go to their big store in Riverside, back before it went out of business and I moved.

Last time I was in there, they had a couple of open boxes of cards, nothing spectacular and they're a good 25-30 miles away. I think I bought a couple packs of Wacky Packs.

I was out at a local show yesterday and even the card dealers there aren't putting out much in the way of open boxes. You can either buy complete sealed boxes or you can buy complete sets. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Yep, that's it. Just an thought.

Were you at Frank & Son's?
May 29, 2006, 06:20 PM
Brian Henderson
quote:
Were you at Frank & Son's?

Yup. Both Julio's Non-Sports and Mark's Non-Sports are there and neither of them has much in the way of packs available. Julio has a better selection, but it's really just a handful of things I'm not looking for anyhow. I bought something from Mark since I've known him for years and years and his prices were slightly better than Julio.

What's sad is that there were 2-3 really nice sports card shops around here that carried some non-sports but they've all gone out of business in the last year. None of the comic shops carry any non-sports at all, if you're not looking for sports or CCGs, you're out of luck (and their CCG offerings really suck too unless you're after the "latest great thing").
June 01, 2006, 11:09 AM
Jack London
Whenever I go to Frank and Sons, I try to spread out my purchases between Julio and Mark. Their prices are pretty comparable so I want to do what I can to make sure they both stay there!

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau
June 02, 2006, 02:30 PM
Brian Henderson
quote:
Originally posted by Jack London:
Whenever I go to Frank and Sons, I try to spread out my purchases between Julio and Mark. Their prices are pretty comparable so I want to do what I can to make sure they both stay there!

Which is great if you want to buy full sets (which I normally do) or boxes, but it's just sad that there's little point to even buying packs these days. It seems the non-sport hobby has gone from building sets to having sets be throwaway in favor of ridiculously overpriced chase cards.
June 02, 2006, 03:09 PM
wolfie
This is certainly true. I wonder if the base set will make a comeback sometime in the future and todays base sets will become worth some dollars.

June 03, 2006, 02:36 PM
Brian Henderson
quote:
Originally posted by wolfman-golf:
This is certainly true. I wonder if the base set will make a comeback sometime in the future and todays base sets will become worth some dollars.

I doubt it. Today all anyone cares about is flashy eye candy and anything that will make them a quick buck on eBay. That's why I completely boycott all chase cards. I don't buy them, I don't want them and if I ever got one, I'd burn it. I'm sick of the whole chase mentality.
June 03, 2006, 02:41 PM
Jack London
I kinda collect both ways: I like to get a base set and buy or trade for one or two individual autograph/costume/prop cards from sets I like. Unless I am a huge fan of the set, I don't try to put together "regular" (non autograph/costume/prop)insert sets.

Once in a while, I like to buy an unopened box (usually at a show or online as no comic shops near me carry boxes).

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau
June 03, 2006, 08:07 PM
Incarnadine
Went back to my local shop to see if they had any X-Men 3 in (they didn't) but they had a mostly full box of Firefly and a half box of Harry Potter so I snagged 6 packs of Firefly and 2 of HP and got:

Firefly- F7, B5 and A-6 (another Sean Maher autograph, sigh)

Harry Potter- Film Cel CFC2 094/350 (nice cels of Harry Potter and George Weasley together).

Here's pics of my pulls from the last 2 visits to the shop:

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)