Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who says buying loose packs from an open box is bad?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Darth Vader Fan
posted Hide Post
One pack of ROTS Widevision from Wal Mart today, it had a Chrome Art r9 in it Big Grin

Posts: 1018 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
On the way back from the physiotherapist, I dropped into my local shop and found a new box of Serenity. I did my usual, taking at random a couple of packs.

First pack: Base cards.
Second Pack: PW2 - Zoe's Pants. Big Grin

Oh, and if the guy who asked about packs being a card short is reading, this pack only had 4 base cards with the Pieceworks card (Andy, I'm NOT complaining!) - understandable, as the cossie card is slightly thicker - about the same as two base cards stuck together.

Cherry pickers might find it more difficult to detect the things as Inkworks is getting REALLY good at making the cards as thin as possible!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Just stopped by my local store and bought 8 packs of Animated Batman, found 2 sketches and 2 magnet cards. Not bad Thumb Up

Batman sketches

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Picked up 10 packs at the London Expo yesterday - £1 each - got 3 foils, 1 film cell, and a Dudley Dursley auto Clap Not bad eh?

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RangerDutch
posted Hide Post
I went in to one my the stores in my area and much to my surprise were 3 packs of "Harry Potter the Sorcerer's Stone" out. Now I was blown away that they were even there. It's been 4 years since the set came out. So of course I snatched them up! I also grabbed 3 packs of Smallville Season 4 and 4 packs of Batman Begins. So what did I pull?

- Smallville Season 4: Jason t-shirt card from "Pariah episode"

- Batman Begins: Batmobile tire piece card

- Out of the Potter: Warwick Davis as Professor Flitwick autograph card.

I was so stoked about the Potter 'graph. I figured I just couldn't let those 3 packs sit there. Imagine the luck of there still being a 'graph in there? Not a primary character but one of my favorite pulls so far!

Who says buying loose packs is bad!!

Xander: It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to.

Posts: 130 | Location: New England | Registered: August 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darbow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDutch:
I went in to one my the stores in my area and much to my surprise were 3 packs of "Harry Potter the Sorcerer's Stone" out. Now I was blown away that they were even there. It's been 4 years since the set came out.

You're probably thinking of a different set as the sorcerer's stone set only came out earlier this year, May i think.

Posts: 457 | Location: Bristol, U.K | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RangerDutch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darbow:
You're probably thinking of a different set as the sorcerer's stone set only came out earlier this year, May i think.

Well looks like I was wrong but I'm still stoked. I haven't seen loose HP packs anywhere.

Xander: It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to.

Posts: 130 | Location: New England | Registered: August 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDutch:

Who says buying loose packs is bad!!

Just scroll up to my last post. Mad

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martine:
Just stopped by my local store and bought 8 packs of Animated Batman, found 2 sketches and 2 magnet cards. Not bad Thumb Up

Batman sketches

Great looking sketches,esp like the Brandon one.
Uhhh which character is it btw Confused

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just opened a box of the Batman and got the same exact sketches as Martine. I couldn't figure out that one character either.

Posts: 420 | Location: USA | Registered: October 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I imagine he's somewhere in the base set. My guess would be Obsidian (brother to Jade and son of the Alan Scott Green Lantern)

Posts: 3252 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Judging from some of the auctions, I think the character is Mr Freeze. Jen

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I love this thread.
I visited some shops this weekend and bought 18 packs of Serenity. No autos, no costumes, no Women of Serenity.

Monday I swung by a shop and picked up 2 more packs, got the auto I wanted the most, Gina Torres.

I hate this thread Big Grin I have no card shops anywhere near me and I don't even get any decent cards from BOXES Mad

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Sorry Hammer. I feel for anyone who can't find packs in a good shop. It is my guilty pleasure to stop by once a week and buy a pack or two. Last week, one of the local shops had a bunch of Benchwarmer packs nad some odds and ends on sale for 50 cents a pack. I bougt 37 packs, and there were no autos, and hardly any inserts at all, but they were fun to open. The next day I bought 2 packs of Nascar at another shop, got Sterling Marlin's auto, so it's all luck of the pull.
I will say this, I have had more luck buying loose packs than buying boxes. The best cards I have were all from packs.This includes my Kirk/Spock auto, virually every sketch card i have, 2 Billy Drago autos, among others.

Keep buying those packs when you find them. Good stuff is in them.

Posts: 2913 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Sci-FiPlanet
posted Hide Post
Around my area the whole deal is pointless, unless I see them open the box at the time or I know it's a set that cant be felt up (I never buy inkworks packs unless I see the boxas it's put out) the staff and two or three people pull the chase cards before anyone gets a shot.

Now I buy boxes and cases, it's safer. I have had good stuff out of packs in the past, but it's not as much fun these days when people can spot the inserts in a box.

Posts: 884 | Location: UK | Registered: October 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one decent store for packs that I don't get to very often due to distance, but I've had some great luck with individual sealed boxes I've found here and there at considerable discounts in the last few months:

1 box Twilight Zone Premiere: William Shatner
1 box Robots: Nice Martineck Sketch card
1 box Bond D.A.D.: Samantha Bond AND Rosamund Pike (This release was 1 auto/box)
1 box Sopranos: Jamie-Lynn DiScala

I'm on a roll.... Maybe I should get down to that shop and try 1 or 2 packs from several different sets!

Posts: 420 | Location: Try looking under that pile of cards over there... | Registered: December 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by non-sportcards:
Just opened a box of the Batman and got the same exact sketches as Martine. I couldn't figure out that one character either.

Mr Freeze & Man-Bat

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of rubadub001
posted Hide Post
Last weekend bought about 120-130 random loose packs for about $60. Most definitely no full boxes. Pulled the following:

AVP Colin Salmon Auto
AVP Colin Salmon Costume Card
Babylon 5: Phil Somebody (he's the black dude who is the lawyer Jackie on Seinfeld.. hehehe - like him for that role, way more than Babylon 5)
Babylon 5 Sketch Card: No idea - some alien dude with a block head
Harry Potter POA: Costume Card (some red patch card)
2 Clone Wars Sketch Cards (1 Yoda McCrea, 1 Fabrri Drone)
X-Files Connections Auto - One of the Lone Gunmen guys - the old dude?

Not a bad bunch if i do say so myself. Love the sketch cards! I think there were only like 10-15 packs of Clone Wars in the lot - don't know how I ended up getting lucky with 2 sketches!

Check out my Trade List Apr 16.09: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....&r=37010938#37010938

Posts: 654 | Location: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of rubadub001
posted Hide Post
Doh!

Just checked on RA's website and found out that the Babylon 5 Sketch I pulled is of Kosh by Dan Schafer and was only 1:480!

SWEET! Too bad I'm not a fan.. or I mighta known before and could have rejoyced in the great pull right away!

Check out my Trade List Apr 16.09: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....&r=37010938#37010938

Posts: 654 | Location: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
DOH, i got skunked! i did it again, i bought at the store that sells off its non sport at a buck when they have been sitting forever. I got a jean luc picard auto from insurrection....REDEMPTION NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fleer is out of business!!!!! oh well, lol. ill pretend its signed.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post