Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Star Wars Autograph Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Autograph Cards
 Login/Join

posted
I've never collected these as I've been finishing up other sets first but recently did the Force Awakens and Rogue One sets.

I'd like to move on to the first 6 films but there are so many options .

Which sets would deliver the largest selection of names ideally on similar styles of cards to each other?

I don't want any TV characters or widevision cards.

Posts: 21 | Location: Newcastle | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Topps usually doesn't use the same autograph design across multiple sets. But they did with Star Wars Evolution (2001), Star Wars Heritage (2004), and Star Wars Evolution Update (2006). The first two sets have on-card autographs while Evolution Update uses stickers but all three use the same design. Most of the big names are included in those with the exception of Harrison Ford. In addition to those 3 I would also go with Star Wars 30th Anniversary (2007). It's a different design but still a very nice looking set with many great signers including the first ever Harrison Ford Star Wars autograph, the only John Williams autograph, and many other behind-the-scenes people who haven't signed cards since.

So you see I'm a bit partial to the older sets but if I wanted to collect Star Wars autographs from the first six films, those are the 4 sets I would go after. Thumb Up

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
My answer would depend upon which particular names you really wanted, but ultimately I think you will need to mish-mash a couple of autograph style/releases because most sets are missing a key name or two, be it Ford in the Evolution series, James Earl Jones in Star Wars 30th...

Masterwork Series 1 is a strong release for the key names but no McDiarmid or Prowse.
If you don't mind sticker autos the original Galactic Files is a nice clean card design but no Prowse or Baker.
You would have to consider widevision cards or you'd never have a Frank Oz or Samuel L. Jackson (if you could even find the latter).

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Starting this path really late in the game. I can only wish you the best of luck.

I have all of the major characters from the first three films but there was no way I was going to try and keep up with some of the crazy prices assigned to a particular set. For example, my Harrison ford came from the Pop Century release at a fraction of the cost. I'm perfectly happy with it. Wink

Liam Neeson never signed for Star Wars but I did manage to get his Topps Batman card. Of course, Natalie and Ewan never signed as far as I am aware.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a list anywhere that says which sets each actor has for?

Posts: 21 | Location: Newcastle | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drathro:

If there is I haven't seen it. You can use Jeff Allender's site though to do it yourself. He has checklists there for all of the Star Wars sets. Here's the link:

http://www.nslists.com/stsw.htm#sw

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Honestly, not to take away from Jeff's awesome site that I use religiously, I think you would be better off just pulling an actors name (or Star Wars autograph) add the word Topps and do an Ebay search.

You will get a quick idea of what's out there and a rough price range.

You will also find Star Wars signatures in both the Americana and Pop Century releases.

If you decide to ONLY collect from a single set then Jeffs page can help you figure out which one.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
If you're looking a specific actor, try this in a google search

"Harrison ford" site:nslists.com;topps.com

The 'site:' restricts the search to the sites named (separated by the semi-colon) after the colon.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how do the foil stickers on the EU and 30th sets look in person? The signatures look quie hard to see on some photos.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
how do the foil stickers on the EU and 30th sets look in person? The signatures look quie hard to see on some photos.

They look fine, and they do look better in hand than through an ebay photo.

I think your best order of collection desirability would be 1. On Card 2. Clear Sticker 3. Foil Sticker. I have seen some cuts out there but they are super ugly.

posted Hide Post
Apart from Evolution, Heritage and Masterwork, which sets are on card?

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a photo of the evolution and heritage vaders? What's the difference?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a photo of the evolution and heritage vaders? What's the difference?

HERITAGE:

EVOLUTION:

EVOLUTION UPDATE: